Reload this Page >

Adjusting status from K1 in Dallas and unrelated waffles with marmite

Wikiposts

Adjusting status from K1 in Dallas and unrelated waffles with marmite

Old Dec 16th 2002, 9:59 am
ScarlettHill

Default Adjusting status from K1 in Dallas and unrelated waffles with marmite

Hello again, hello....

Sorry I've been a bit absent - it's hard to get a really clear internet connection from cloud 9....

Thanks so much for all the lovely messages on my last post.... Yes you still have to take your chest x-ray, yes marmite is essential to civilised life, no I didn't do a thumb print or have a photo taken - I think that comes later with K1s.... and the pirates were there - but they were hiding - they're good at that. They paint their toenails red and hide in the cherry trees....

So, onward......

Went down to the Catholic Charities office (same building as INS in Dallas) for a $30 consultation re adjusting status. They are great people but take terrible photos that make you look like an escaped con with a learning disability - oh well - $10 dollars for 2 adit spec snaps for anyone interested.

Catholic Charities is an immigration counseling service based at 5415 Maple Avenue Suite 400, Dallas, Tx 75235. Phone - 214-634-7182. Fax - 214-634-2531.

This is how it works. For your first consultation you queue early early (get there by 6.30 at latest) and get a ticket and wait for consultation. Unless, of course, your gorgeous hubbie, who insists his mission in life is to spoil you rotten, does the queueing for you while you and your girls breakfast with his Papa. Hash bowns - arrrrgh eeeeeuuuuurrrrrum sluuuuuuuuurrrrp - I have tried 4 different sorts so far and I like them all best!

When you've eaten as much as you can, and chewed the fat with Papa, you mosey on down to CC, where hubbie has been patiently waiting, and they run through everything you need for AOS and use a red flag questionnaire - the questions show up anything that might cause you problems. Using them is probably a luxury for Garth and myself as the woman we saw said our case was completely straightforward - but if you have anything unusual in your case they're well worth seeing if you can't afford or find a good immigration lawyer.

You can go away after the $30 consultation and file your own case if you want - they tell you absolutely everything then anyway. They're not making money - it's a charity - just doing what they can to help and covering their costs. If you want to use them to file you pay more than the initial $30 next time you go. Here's why we've chosen to do that:

When they take your case they do all the form filling - on computer - ordering of docs (easy enough, I agree) BUT they also keep tabs on your case and if a problem comes up, or you slow right down, they fight your corner and you don't have to pay again for the privilege. We see it as an insurance policy. They know what they're doing - they do this all day everyday. And they're right next door to the INS and seem to have very good communication lines open.

I mentioned the problems reported on the newsgroup about people not getting their AOS stamps right away at interview. She said they had a meeting with INS just two days earlier about that very thing and were told the problem should be straightened out in the next week or two. I like the fact they seem to have an 'in' with the INS and talk regularly with them.

Another interesting point. We may not have to wait too long for an interview. I was expecting at least 18 months. This woman told me that, though she couldn't give guarantees because you never know with INS, based on the cases she's been working on recently we should get conditional residency in between 3-6 months!! I didn't realise that K1s don't just get their visas faster than K3s, they also get through AOS much quicker, according to this woman. Catholic Charities file your case on the computer so maybe their stuff moves faster that way - I don't know... Watch this space...

OK Here's the crunch - we have to pay $850 for this service - though that's 500 more than a couple without children would pay. Broken down that's 350 for my AOS and EAD and 250 each for AOS for the children. So - not a whole lot if you're just one person rather than 3. It's worth it to us just not to have to worry, to let someone else do that, even though money is tight. For us, it's money well spent. The full bill, including INS fees for fingerprinting, EAD, and AOS for me and the two girls, plus the Catholic Charities fee, comes to 5 dollars short of $1600, which seems a lot altogether but we have the CHristmas lights, the bikes for the girls (thank you, mum!), a vast reservoir of red, red wine and the price of a turkey and an orange to stick up its bottom so we're going for it. (if you've never cooked a turkey with an orange up its bottom you haven't lived - ner!)

You only have to queue the first time you go down to CC. Once they've opened a file for you you can ring for an appointment. We're hoping to go down on MOnday 23 December to file and I'll post how it goes....

Meanwhile, back at the ranch.... bits and pieces for anyone dealing with similar stuff just in case it helps..

Insurance - this looked like being difficult as we needed SSNs to get on the policy but the insurance company has assigned us temporary SSNs till we get the real thing - said they could do this because we're dependants... I don't really understand what they're doing here but I ain't about to look a gift horse in the mouth! The message they sent via Human Resources was - we're doing this - but get proper SSNs to us as soon as you can...

School - talked to the girls' school today. To enrol they need: enrollment form, immunisation certs, a copy of the lease to prove the girls are resident in the right area (we just got on the lease yesterday) and, of course, SSNs!!! I babbled a bit about that and they said just get it to us when you can. The school nurse was lovely, fine about the fact the girls have only had one MMR and two Hep Bs - said she would look at their charts and send us a note when they were due for their next jabs. I also got the girls' old schools to provide reports, which they were grateful for. The girls are very bright and were both working a year ahead of their school years in England and while that might sound great, Garth's mum (teacher) was worried they would end up in classes above their age groups and find that difficult. It wasn't a problem in England because we were in small village schools where two year groups were in the same classroom together so it wasn't too noticeable - the girls, along with other bright kids, just worked with the older children but in the same room. So everyone got to play together. Of course I want my kids to do well but it's more important that they're settled and happy and playing with their peers. Garth's mum said if this issue comes up (it might not) we could request an accelerated programme which, if I understand correctly, means they get to work with their peers but just sometimes get different work to do. That's got to be a better deal than being landed in a class of older children... I don't even know whether it's going to come up but it sounded a good suggestion for anyone facing that particular problem so I thought I'd mention it...

Mmmm what else, well for anyone shivering in England I'll just mention the girls swam in the pool outside here today and we're enjoying the Christmas sunshine - wheeeeee!!! We went to see Santa and Lizzy said he was definitely the REAL one because he knew all the Rudolph song and sang it with them and most Santas ask you for money and give you something daft. Also this one had big red cheeks and ho ho ho'd exactly right.

The pirates have very good disguises here in Dallas - you have to look very closely to spot them.....

My best friend told me to stop gushing - so I'm trying... I don't think I've gushed muchly in this mail. Haven't droned on and on and on and on about how disgustingly happy and blessed we all are and haven't started singing Moody Blues song to yall, now have I???

mmmmmmmmmmmmm - la la laaa le lee lal laaaaaaa

SING WITH ME!

ta ra, tra laaaaa

-=-
Scarlett

Old Dec 16th 2002, 11:58 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Adjusting status from K1 in Dallas and unrelated waffles with marmite

Originally posted by ScarlettGarrett
Hello again, hello....
Sorry I've been a bit absent - it's hard to get a really clear internet connection from cloud 9....
Awwwwwww!!!!!!!

and the pirates were there - but they were hiding - they're good at that. They paint their toenails red and hide in the cherry trees........
Heh heh!!!!!!!!!! What a visual!!!

My best friend told me to stop gushing - so I'm trying... I don't think I've gushed muchly in this mail. Haven't droned on and on and on and on about how disgustingly happy and blessed we all are and haven't started singing Moody Blues song to yall, now have I???
mmmmmmmmmmmmm - la la laaa le lee lal laaaaaaa

SING WITH ME!
ta ra, tra laaaaa

-=-
Scarlett
You gush away, Scarlett!!!!!! I'm sure we'll all feel as happy as you do when we're re-united with our loved ones! I know I will!!!!!!!!! It's truly touching to read your stories.
Kate. xxxxxxx
Old Dec 16th 2002, 12:52 pm
Cloweii

Default Re: Adjusting status from K1 in Dallas and unrelated waffles with marmite

what kind of pirates are you talking about, here in Dallas?

Old Dec 16th 2002, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

abba48uk is an unknown quantity at this point

....Howdy...Scarlett and family....what a great Christmas you will have! And if y'all get tired of all that sunshine, just mosey on up to Illinois we will give you some showers and perhaps a bit of snow.....

We are so happy for you!

Andy and Julie
Old Dec 16th 2002, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point

So happy to see you SOOOO happy Best wishes to the girls and you!

Caroline
Old Dec 16th 2002, 6:57 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing all your experiences - and the school part is of interest to me, the vaccination part has been bugging me a lot, whether they would let my daughter in unless she was fully vaccinated, etc. It sounds like you are all set for a wonderful family Christmas together, and I wish that for you all. Please keep these epistles coming, we all love them so much!

All the best,

Debbie
Old Dec 16th 2002, 10:33 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Beautiful Scarlett,

tra la la la la la!!!!!!!

I am having the same bother with SSN as you are - they seem to be the biggest pain in the jacksy if you don't have one. This morning I will be having a conference call with my bank financial adviser, the SSA and me so that my bank can verify I am in the process of getting a SSN and can have access to the hundreds of dollars I have transferred to my bank account. I have also been advised by one of the school boards not to apply for a teaching job with them until I have a SSN as it will not be looked at. I went for a crap at Boston airport and the guy wouldn't let me in without a SSN so I ended up doing a one cheek sneak in his general direction - that will teach him. Bloody americans!

Patrick

PS Well done for the story, especially liked the pirate references. England is far less glamouress place without you and your lucky knickers.
Old Dec 17th 2002, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point

So, onward......

Went down to the Catholic Charities office (same building as INS in Dallas) for a $30 consultation re adjusting status. They are great people but take terrible photos that make you look like an escaped con with a learning disability - oh well - $10 dollars for 2 adit spec snaps for anyone interested.

Well I guess it will be an improvement for Patrick then !!!!!! Only kidding Babs

Rob
Old Dec 17th 2002, 4:24 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Patrick
I went for a crap at Boston airport and the guy wouldn't let me in without a SSN so I ended up doing a one cheek sneak in his general direction - that will teach him. Bloody americans!

Patrick

Eeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!! Hee hee!!!!!

Kate. xxxxxxx