Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Adding to Husband (to be)'s Medical Insurance

Wikiposts

Adding to Husband (to be)'s Medical Insurance

Old Jul 4th 2009, 7:30 am
The Wee Wifey

LynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud of
Default Re: Adding to Husband (to be)'s Medical Insurance

We used Immigration as a life changing event to be added to the health insurance before open enrollment, but I was already married before coming over on a CR1 visa.

Why not have a quick legal wedding just after arrival, then have your big wedding as planned a couple of months down the road. Then you could get added to the health insurance the day after the wedding.

Lyn
Old Jul 4th 2009, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

jetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud of

That's what I was thinking, we've already investigated that and they've said no, unless Ozzidoc was referring to something else that I've missed, if so, please please point me in the right direction.

J
Old Jul 4th 2009, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jetbedlam
Thanks, but I'm not sure if I follow...post 8 doesn't say much, do you mean your post with links? About pre-existing conditions??
Yes, my post with links. I am in the middle of doing what your husband's company is saying cannot be done.

The links I gave were to enable you to do some more research, which would help you decide if the company is indeed breaking the law etc.

It's not just to do with pre-existing conditions. Some insurances wont pay a cent back in the first x months for non-emergency costs. The links I provided show that this needn't be the case.

(This all applies from once you are married, unless the USA insurer also covers co-habitating partners).

http://www.bcbsil.com/PDF/legislative_update_405.pdf

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq_consumer_hipaa.html

Last edited by Ozzidoc; Jul 4th 2009 at 8:09 am.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Yes, my post with links. I am in the middle of doing what your husband's company is saying cannot be done.
It's completely up to the company to decide who can be covered under their insurance. It could be just the employee, it could be employee plus spouse and/or children or it can be whatever, Some places will allow common law spouses to be covered, some will not. Just depends, no legal requirement for any of it. If it's the company policy to only cover spouses or same sex common law spouses then there is nothing that can be done about it without the company paying extra for the policy which will mean an increase in everyone's premium and can't be done during the plan year.

HIPAA only covers pre existing conditions, not cheap and crappy insurance policies!
Old Jul 4th 2009, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

jetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc

The links I gave were to enable you to do some more research, which would help you decide if the company is indeed breaking the law etc.

It's not just to do with pre-existing conditions. Some insurances wont pay a cent back in the first x months for non-emergency costs. The links I provided show that this needn't be the case.

(This all applies from once you are married, unless the USA insurer also covers co-habitating partners).

http://www.bcbsil.com/PDF/legislative_update_405.pdf

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq_consumer_hipaa.html
Thanks...and sorry, I misunderstood earlier, I thought your info was something to do with being able to be added as soon as I arrive in the US, which I couldn't find when reading the links.

I didn't think anyone was breaking the law, not at this stage anyway! But I will bear it in mind for future...though I don't have any medical conditions that I would be expecting to be covered by a new policy and I wasn't even worrying about that yet!! I'm just trying to figure how to get myself some cover for when I move!
Old Jul 4th 2009, 8:32 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

The Gardisil vac costs between $350- $400 in the US.It's a series of 3 shots and usually averages $125 per shot. But some Planned Parenthood centers give the vac at a much lower cost or even for free. Also Merck has a website that tells you how to get a low cost or free gardisil vac. Go to Merck.com to see if you qualify. Or just check out other low cost clinics in the area that you will be living in and you might be able to get it at a reduced cost.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by penguinbar
The Gardisil vac costs between $350- $400 in the US.It's a series of 3 shots and usually averages $125 per shot. But some Planned Parenthood centers give the vac at a much lower cost or even for free. Also Merck has a website that tells you how to get a low cost or free gardisil vac. Go to Merck.com to see if you qualify. Or just check out other low cost clinics in the area that you will be living in and you might be able to get it at a reduced cost.
Well, considering that Knightsbridge charge £120 for one shot, that does sound a lot cheaper Thanks for that 'cause I was thinking I'd just opt for getting it at my medical on Monday, but I'd rather not pay more than I need to. Especially if I can just walk into a place and pay to get it done.

Just had a really quick look at the Merck website and it looks like most of (what will be) my local grocery store pharmacies offer it, thought they don't say a price, but that's a good sign.

I actually noticed that Superdrug here have started doing the HPV vaccine (I think for about £160 per shot), I presume for those that can't get it on the NHS (like me).
Old Jul 4th 2009, 9:12 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome. You also need to do the shots within a certain time frame and if you can't do the second shot within the time frame givin I would just start the shots over here. You only need to have the first one to file for aos and then complete the series. Ring planned parenthood in the area that you will be moving to and see what they charge. Also I would ring or have your fiancee ring his local dept of health. Sometimes they give free or reduced cost vaccinations. Otherwise I would have a quick local wedding at your local city hall so you can get on his insurance plan. I also had to add my husband to my plan within 30 days of our marriage or he would have had to take out his own plan but he was covered immediately. A bit of research could save you a bundle!
Old Jul 4th 2009, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Planned Parenthood state $125 per shot so I guess that's across the board, but I'll certainly look into it. We would definitely have all the insurance stuff ready to go as soon as we've done the deed to get me added asap and providing I fork out the $ to get the HPV started then I should be fine for the AOS.

I take it me taking out an independent insurance policy for 2 months in the interim wouldn't effect me being able to be added to Chris' policy? They are fine with adding a spouse as long as the person doesn't have the option of a policy through their own employer or are not employed (so don't have insurance).
Old Jul 4th 2009, 9:36 am

You might have trouble finding an insurance policy to cover you for only 2 months.Each company is different.There are some threads on here that mention insurance policies. Do some research on here regarding that. Also regarding shipping as you mentioned earlier, My husband shipped 4 boxes over here pretty reasonably. Since he is from Scotland too I will find out who he shipped them with. They were pretty large and heavy as well.