Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Adding to Husband (to be)'s Medical Insurance

Wikiposts

Adding to Husband (to be)'s Medical Insurance

Old Jul 2nd 2009, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

jetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud of
Default Adding to Husband (to be)'s Medical Insurance

Hi guys...I've not reared my ugly head for a while but...I'm back I'm afraid!

Chris has spoken to his HR department about adding me to his medical insurance and has been told a big fat 'No' to adding me before we're married.

This causes two issues....obviously me not being covered for potentially two months before we get married in October and also me not being able to start the HPV vaccine process until after we're married (which I obviously need for the AOS, but don't have time get it done here before I go due to it being over 6 months).

Has anyone else been in the same situation? Is there anything that you suggest we can do or say? He is pushing it with them, but not sure how far that will get us as they said they do not add fiances, whether USCs or otherwise and that there is no exception

Not that I often require medical assistance or go to the doctor very often, but knowing that I don't have it if I need it does worry me and obviously holding up the AOS is not ideal.

Thanks...

PS By the by...I have my interview on the 16th July, so currently stressing a little! I am going down for my medical on Monday to get that done and dusted in time...keeping it all crossed and touching a lot of wood at the moment! All being well (*touch wood*) I am hoping to fly out at the end of August
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 8:44 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adding to Husband (to be)'s Medical Insurance

I didn't add Sadegh to my health insurance until after we were married as well. But we got married 2 weeks after his arrival in the USA, so he didn't have to wait long.

Insurance companies usually only make changes the policy if there is a big event change...such as getting married. Having a fiancee doesn't qualify for a "big event". lol

Rene
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

jetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud of

I should have also mentioned that I spoke about this before on a thread and it was suggested that immigration may be a 'qualifying event' and that I should get Chris to enquire. I had thought previously that it wouldn't be possible at all and it would appear that I was correct (and that this insurance policy sucks...others must have more lenient ones!).

Chris has pushed it and they aren't having any of it, it's a definite no.

Has anyone gone down the route of getting a separate policy for 2-3 months? I think that'd be our only option. I wouldn't be worried if it was just a couple of weeks, but a couple of months is a bit more concerning...
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 8:52 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jetbedlam
Hi guys...I've not reared my ugly head for a while but...I'm back I'm afraid!

Chris has spoken to his HR department about adding me to his medical insurance and has been told a big fat 'No' to adding me before we're married.

This causes two issues....obviously me not being covered for potentially two months before we get married in October and also me not being able to start the HPV vaccine process until after we're married (which I obviously need for the AOS, but don't have time get it done here before I go due to it being over 6 months).

Has anyone else been in the same situation? Is there anything that you suggest we can do or say? He is pushing it with them, but not sure how far that will get us as they said they do not add fiances, whether USCs or otherwise and that there is no exception

Not that I often require medical assistance or go to the doctor very often, but knowing that I don't have it if I need it does worry me and obviously holding up the AOS is not ideal.

Thanks...

PS By the by...I have my interview on the 16th July, so currently stressing a little! I am going down for my medical on Monday to get that done and dusted in time...keeping it all crossed and touching a lot of wood at the moment! All being well (*touch wood*) I am hoping to fly out at the end of August
Hi:

Many people do TWO "marriages" -- an early courthouse one to get "legally" married and the later big public ceremony. Nothing wrong with that.

On the flip side, I've had cases where people do the public ceremony minus marriage license where there is a legal advantage to NOT being legally married.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

My fiance and I married within three weeks of his arrival to add him to my benefits and to start the AOS as soon as possible. Our "big" wedding was planned for late March 2008. We had a small (secret-shhh) ceremony in January 2008 and I was able to add him in time for benefits to start in February 2008. The judge who married us was a friend and former co-worker of mine and she was happy to marry us twice.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 3:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

In some states and in some labor unions you can add common law spouses to your health insurance. But that is an exception, IMHO, and not the norm. And you are not a common law spouse as you aren't even in the country. Impending immigration is not a qualifying reason either.

Marriage, adoption, birth, are reasons for being added to a policy as is adding a spouse who had their own coverage but lost their job and needs to be added to yours.

Why don't you start your treatment in the UK and finish it in the US?
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 5:24 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Not 'impending immigration' but actual arrival *has* been a valid qualifying event under some insurance policies. I was the one who suggested that jet check it out.

Jet, have you read any further on the vax requirements for your AOS? I understand that starting a vax series is required but perhaps that completing it is not.... Just sayin'.

Rete, the cost of the HPV vax in the US is very, very expensive.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
In some states and in some labor unions you can add common law spouses to your health insurance. But that is an exception, IMHO, and not the norm. And you are not a common law spouse as you aren't even in the country. Impending immigration is not a qualifying reason either.
Yeah, we checked on that one and they only add in a common law situation when it's a same sex couple.

Why don't you start your treatment in the UK and finish it in the US?
I actually didn't know that I would be able to do that, i thought I'd have to do the whole course with the same doctor? I also thought it would be cheaper in the US...I'm sure I've read others saying this is the case. I was also sure I'd read others say they didn't want to start here as they'd just have to start from scratch in the US (I obviously can't remember where I read this though of course!).

Has anyone else had the first injection here and the rest in the US?? I have my medical on monday so would do it then if I need to, at vast expense...

Originally Posted by meauxna
Not 'impending immigration' but actual arrival *has* been a valid qualifying event under some insurance policies. I was the one who suggested that jet check it out.

Jet, have you read any further on the vax requirements for your AOS? I understand that starting a vax series is required but perhaps that completing it is not.... Just sayin'.
Yes, you don't have to have completed the whole course as far as I am aware, however I (have to admit) assumed that there was a requirement to finish the course...but I could be wrong. So if that is the case, I could get the first injection and not bother with the rest? Would they ever know? Do I need to prove that I've had the whole thing for any further immigration related stuff further down the line?

Rete, the cost of the HPV vax in the US is very, very expensive.
Eek, is it? I know that wasn't aimed at me, but I was sure I'd read that it was cheaper (or this was possibly someone who managed to get it on their insurance...so I may be best paying Knightsbridge Doctors the £120 on monday)...
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 5:45 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, that was meant to be more expensive in the UK.

You don't have to do the entire series with the same doctor. It would probably be a good idea to get it started.

GET that vax suppliment from the doctor in the UK and KEEP it. You will want it later on.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
Sorry, that was meant to be more expensive in the UK.
Ah, thought I was losing it (entirely possible!!)

Does anyone know how much it actually costs in the US if not covered by insurance?

You don't have to do the entire series with the same doctor. It would probably be a good idea to get it started.
The only reason I wasn't going to get it started here was the cost, I thought it would be cheaper to just get it done once I'm in the US.

GET that vax suppliment from the doctor in the UK and KEEP it. You will want it later on.
Will do

PS I'm feeling like a total skinflint just now and begrudging spending more than I have to for anything, esp since I got my first shipping quote yesterday in at over £900!!! I'm going to keep looking....
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

The only reason I wasn't going to get it started here was the cost, I thought it would be cheaper to just get it done once I'm in the US.
Almost nothing that is in any way connected with medical treatment is cheaper in the US.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Post number 8 here has some useful information - it's this that has meant that I'll be covered under my husband's health insurance from the minute I move to the USA:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=617769
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Post number 8 here has some useful information - it's this that has meant that I'll be covered under my husband's health insurance from the minute I move to the USA:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=617769
Thanks, but I'm not sure if I follow...post 8 doesn't say much, do you mean your post with links? About pre-existing conditions??
Old Jul 4th 2009, 3:02 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, but I'm not sure if I follow...post 8 doesn't say much, do you mean your post with links? About pre-existing conditions??
Might have meant post number 7, where meauxna says your arrival in the USA can be seen as a life changing event, and therefore might qualify to get you added to his insurance.

Rene
Old Jul 4th 2009, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Might have meant post number 7, where meauxna says your arrival in the USA can be seen as a life changing event, and therefore might qualify to get you added to his insurance.

Rene
But that wouldn't help if she isn't eligible to be added on the policy. I could see how it would work if they were married but living apart and then she moved over. She would not be able to get on the insurance until open enrollment unless she has the life changing event which is where the immigration comes in. However, if the policy is only same sex couples can use a common law relationship to get on the policy as said then she is out of luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.