Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Activiating IR1 visa without spouse?

Activiating IR1 visa without spouse?

Old Jan 31st 2011, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

krosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to all
Default Activiating IR1 visa without spouse?

Hi all, i'm sure this has been asked but couldn't find it.

I might have to fly to SF in April (from England) but without my wife (temporary work trip, not our actual relocation which is to NYC). Is it even possible to get my visa stamped without her?

If this is not possible, i assume i would travel under ESTA?

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 31st 2011, 9:01 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Activiating IR1 visa without spouse?

To my knowledge, the visa can't be activated if the USC spouse is not a) already in the US or b) arriving in the US at the same time as you.

I believe you can still use the VWP for your work trip, however.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 9:18 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The Immigrant cannot come to the USA ahead of the USC, no. The USC needs to either accompany the Immigrant, or come to the USA ahead of the Immigrant.

What work will you be doing in the USA? If you enter the USA using the VWP, I don't think you're allowed to work.

Rene
Old Jan 31st 2011, 10:56 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If you enter the USA using the VWP, I don't think you're allowed to work.
Can you use it for business trips, such as meeting with clients or fellow company employees?
Old Jan 31st 2011, 11:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the VWP is used for just those purposes all the time. When people say to "work" it is not holding a job in the US but being sent to the US by their employer for some type of work related issued and the stay is usually just for a week or so.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

krosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rete
Yes, the VWP is used for just those purposes all the time. When people say to "work" it is not holding a job in the US but being sent to the US by their employer for some type of work related issued and the stay is usually just for a week or so.
That's it in a nutshell. It's not so much work as flying in a wind tunnel (skydive simulator). It's still work to a degree as i'm studying and paying a coach but i guess it's more of a holiday than anything.

Thanks all, i figured this was the case, looks like if i go i'll just do it through VWP
Old Feb 1st 2011, 7:21 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krosfyah
That's it in a nutshell. It's not so much work as flying in a wind tunnel (skydive simulator). It's still work to a degree as i'm studying and paying a coach but i guess it's more of a holiday than anything.

Thanks all, i figured this was the case, looks like if i go i'll just do it through VWP
hmmm. It doesn't sound like 'holiday' either. Can you explain a bit more?
Old Feb 1st 2011, 7:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
hmmm. It doesn't sound like 'holiday' either. Can you explain a bit more?

I have to ask why? The VWP is used all the time for business entry. This reminds me of telling people years back that they could not work without a social security number and had to wait until they physically had it in hand. Now we tell them as long as they applied for it, they can work without it.

I thought it was finally decided that using the VWP for a business entry is fine.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 7:34 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I have to ask why? The VWP is used all the time for business entry. This reminds me of telling people years back that they could not work without a social security number and had to wait until they physically had it in hand. Now we tell them as long as they applied for it, they can work without it.

I thought it was finally decided that using the VWP for a business entry is fine.
It is fine to use the VWP for a "B-1" style activity (the rule is the same, just the lack of a visa stamp) but that activity must be declared at entry and the person must be admitted VW-B (vs the VW-T most tourists get).

Someone admitted as Business may do some Tourist activities during the same visit, but someone admitted as VW-T may not do Business activities.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
It is fine to use the VWP for a "B-1" style activity (the rule is the same, just the lack of a visa stamp) but that activity must be declared at entry and the person must be admitted VW-B (vs the VW-T most tourists get).

Someone admitted as Business may do some Tourist activities during the same visit, but someone admitted as VW-T may not do Business activities.
Well its an "entertainment activity" for my own personal entertainment (flying in a wind tunnel). I sometimes think of this as work because its like "training" but it's not like im doing something to get paid etc. In fact, i'm the one doing the paying (to the coach).

I guess it's the equivalent of flying to the US to learn to fly a plane, except im flying myself lol.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 7:53 pm

So you need to find out if that activity is OK on the VWP.
Plane flying lessons (for example) require an M-1 admission. I know you're not going to do that, but I'm not clear on the answer.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 7:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Well its an "entertainment activity" for my own personal entertainment (flying in a wind tunnel). I sometimes think of this as work because its like "training" but it's not like im doing something to get paid etc. In fact, i'm the one doing the paying (to the coach).

I guess it's the equivalent of flying to the US to learn to fly a plane, except im flying myself lol.
I admit I'm confused. In your first post, you called this a "temporary work trip", which to me sounded like it was related to your work.

Now you're saying it's purely an "entertainment activity" for yourself, nothing to do with work at all.

If it's something you're doing for fun, and paying a coach, can't you just reschedule it?

Rene
Old Feb 1st 2011, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I admit I'm confused. In your first post, you called this a "temporary work trip", which to me sounded like it was related to your work.

Now you're saying it's purely an "entertainment activity" for yourself, nothing to do with work at all.

If it's something you're doing for fun, and paying a coach, can't you just reschedule it?

Rene
my original thinking was maybe take some annual leave but also work remote a few days (to minimise holiday time taken as leave). The work would be my UK work though. I can;t book the coach as he determines when he is going to be there and we all have to work to his schedule (it's not 1 on 1 coaching).

The basic answer seems clear though which is i can't activate the PR visa as i imagined would be the case withouth my wife being there with me, or already in the US (which she won't be), so i will just go on VWP if i go (now looking unlikely anyway), and then activate the PR visa when i fly to NYC later.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks to those that clarified the situation on this
Old Feb 1st 2011, 9:59 pm

my original thinking was maybe take some annual leave but also work remote a few days (to minimise holiday time taken as leave). The work would be my UK work though.
I think you've now realized you can't do this, right?

Rene
Old Jan 14th 2012, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

JGoodyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Activiating IR1 visa without spouse?

Hi All,

I just want to follow up on this as I am in the same situation. I have my IR1 accepted and will be moving over at the end of May with my wife. I have just found out from work that they want me to go a conference in the first week of may (obviously without my wife). I will be ok as long as I have a valid ESTA visa correct?

Look forward to hearing from you

Last edited by JGoodyer; Jan 14th 2012 at 11:06 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.