Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Activating the K3 and Applying for EAD with delay in settlement

Wikiposts

Activating the K3 and Applying for EAD with delay in settlement

Old Apr 27th 2003, 10:44 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Activating the K3 and Applying for EAD with delay in settlement

Ok, now I need some input from you recent K3-EAD folks. Provided we get our packet sent off to the Consulate in the next 10 days then hopefully Steve will get an interview shortly thereafter. What we plan is for him to come over for a week in June for our third wedding anniversary and also to activate his K3. The only hold up on him staying for good at this time is the fact that he is trying to get his pensions sorted out and that may not be done until mid July or so. So he's going to go back and get that done, open an offshore account with the proceeds and then come on over to stay. Now, what would be great is IF he can, when he's here in June, apply for the EAD. However, it seems that the timeframe to get the NOA on the EAD which comes back with the fingerprint info won't arrive until he's gone back to the UK. Our local office is Atlanta which is where I presume he has to do fingerprinting? Maybe there is an office closer? So I'm asking if anyone knows if he can apply for the EAD BUT NOT do the fingerprinting thing until he is back here for good? We were planning on going through Chicago, but maybe they would be too quick for our particular chain of events. Thoughts?
Old Apr 28th 2003, 3:57 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Bumping up hopefully
Old Apr 28th 2003, 11:10 am
Jerry-44

Jerry-44 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Activating the K3 and Applying for EAD with delay in settlement

Originally posted by cindyabs
Ok, now I need some input from you recent K3-EAD folks. Provided we get our packet sent off to the Consulate in the next 10 days then hopefully Steve will get an interview shortly thereafter. What we plan is for him to come over for a week in June for our third wedding anniversary and also to activate his K3. The only hold up on him staying for good at this time is the fact that he is trying to get his pensions sorted out and that may not be done until mid July or so. So he's going to go back and get that done, open an offshore account with the proceeds and then come on over to stay. Now, what would be great is IF he can, when he's here in June, apply for the EAD. However, it seems that the timeframe to get the NOA on the EAD which comes back with the fingerprint info won't arrive until he's gone back to the UK. Our local office is Atlanta which is where I presume he has to do fingerprinting? Maybe there is an office closer? So I'm asking if anyone knows if he can apply for the EAD BUT NOT do the fingerprinting thing until he is back here for good? We were planning on going through Chicago, but maybe they would be too quick for our particular chain of events. Thoughts?
Hi Cidy.
I don't know about Atlanta office but I am in N.C. I also uesd Chicago office, it took them about a week to responded, which your husband will have to make appointment for fingerprints in local sopport office which is part of immigration. The letter they sent to me , it doesn't specify any time frame you have to schedule appointment for fongerprints. So , I assume it is up to applicant to set a time frame, but I will check with National Service , just give a call sometimes they have very good person at the phone who know all aspect of EAD. I am already did my fingerprinting it took just 5 minutes, all procedure with waiting just 30 minutes in Charlotte office north Carolina. Now I am waiting for my EAD>
Jerr-44
Old Apr 28th 2003, 2:48 pm
Sursum corda

Thanks Jerry!! I presume that without the fingerprints they can't completely process the EAD BUT it sure would be nice if it could at least start the process and get us a little further down the road by submitting the application. You did answer my main question as to whether the fingerprint info specified a required time frame. I'm 4 hours from Atlanta (down near Savannah) so I wondered if we could go the substation at Charleston which is only two hours away from us. Don't know if they require you to stay instate for fingerprinting. Heck, we even have a local Customs office here in Savannah (port city). Maybe they could do it? It would be nice if I could do away with my second job and stay home and enjoy having a husband. The second job has kept me busy during these long nights and weekends but I want to have some time with the man I've been waiting for,
Old Apr 28th 2003, 3:13 pm
Jerry-44

Jerry-44 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by cindyabs
Thanks Jerry!! I presume that without the fingerprints they can't completely process the EAD BUT it sure would be nice if it could at least start the process and get us a little further down the road by submitting the application. You did answer my main question as to whether the fingerprint info specified a required time frame. I'm 4 hours from Atlanta (down near Savannah) so I wondered if we could go the substation at Charleston which is only two hours away from us. Don't know if they require you to stay instate for fingerprinting. Heck, we even have a local Customs office here in Savannah (port city). Maybe they could do it? It would be nice if I could do away with my second job and stay home and enjoy having a husband. The second job has kept me busy during these long nights and weekends but I want to have some time with the man I've been waiting for,
Yes, without fingerprints you can not complete a process,, but please call immigration because Iam not an expert yet LOL. I guess after Iam done I will be..
All the best to you and your husband. I know how you feel, I was on the same position for over 8 months.. It is hard..
Jerry
Old Apr 28th 2003, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

lucymoody is an unknown quantity at this point

The NOA I received said that it would take 60-180 days to process starting from when the fingerprints were received. So I'm not sure that sending it early would help your application any My NOA came a week after sending in the I-765.
Also on the NOA it says: "It is important that you schedule your appointment. If you do not, or if you do not appear for your appointment, your application could be denied."
This to me implies that waiting too long to schedule means that they could throw out your application.
Finally, I think that depending on your local BCIS office, your *only* option is to go via MSC (Chicago). You probably read the discussion on the MSC EAD rollcall thread, and it's unclear whether K3ers can or cannot do the AOS/EAD thing locally. I guess it depends on your BCIS office.
By the way, Jerry44 could you post your EAD timeline? I don't think I've seen it before (but I could be wrong).