ACRO etc

Old Jan 9th 2019, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

Alba2018 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ACRO etc

So I’ve been reading through the forum lately and I happened across a couple of interesting discussions.

Im Scottish and we are not issued ACRO by Police Scotland as far as I’m aware. I once requested a Subject Access request to Police Commander or some such about 20 odd years ago and the reply was vague however it basically meant they had nothing to report .. I paraphrase and it was a long time ago.

I apologise if some what vague above but the issue is I did commit a crime at age 16 (reset aka receving stolen goods). I pled guilty was fined £40.

Ive travelled to USA for holidays, to visit girlfriends and transit over 50 times over 25 years and never declared I had been convicted of a crime! Will this cause me issues when we proceed with CR-1?

[Edit: Getting married in USA in 2 weeks]

Ill need to request the equivalent of ACRO from Police Scotland. Does anybody know what needs to be requested specifically? I got stopped by Police about 15 years ago and they still had my details from the one and only crime in the database as they asked my new address.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Alba2018; Jan 9th 2019 at 3:13 am. Reason: Additional info
Old Jan 9th 2019, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

scar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ACRO etc

https://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx

Im from Scotland and was approved a visa for USA last week. I used the link above for my police certificate and it was sent out very quickly and accepted by the embassy
Old Jan 9th 2019, 9:24 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

How are you entering the US in 2 weeks if you now know you are not elligable for ESTA? I suspect your crime is a CIMT therefore you would not be elligable. The fact you now know that means you are open to accusations of misrepresentation if you attempt to enter anyway.

Misrep is a VERY dangerous thing to do for US immigration.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 4:00 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
How are you entering the US in 2 weeks if you now know you are not elligable for ESTA? I suspect your crime is a CIMT therefore you would not be elligable. The fact you now know that means you are open to accusations of misrepresentation if you attempt to enter anyway.

Misrep is a VERY dangerous thing to do for US immigration.
You suspect but do not know for sure. It is a crime that happened as a teen. Plus the OP is already in the US with his US fiancée. He entered in December.

If he wants to be 100% sure, he should have a consultation with an immigration attorney who is familiar with CIMT while here in the US.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 4:08 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

You suspect but do not know for sure.
Clearly. Hence the use of the word suspect rather than the declarative is.

I do not see where the OP stated he is currently in the US, unless you are referring to a previous post of theirs.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 4:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It is on another thread that I looked up using the BE function of find other posts.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 4:26 pm
Concierge

Eladnolnod's question re marrying on VWP post #8
Old Jan 9th 2019, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Many thanks for the responses.

Ignorance is no excuse I understand that.
I received an item with a value of about £10 at age 16, fair cop paid my fine. I expected such a thing to be expunged .. my bad maybe.

Being 100% honest I did not at any stage consider the above being an issue and had genuinely totally forgot about it until someone mention a crime at 17 IIRC on this forum. I mean when I first travelled via USA to Mexico to work for a year back in 1992 IIRC to current day and many trips. Maybe it should have but it did not cross my mind.

I’ll talk to my partner and possibly contact legal rep with CIMT knowledge.

Again thanks.

Old Jan 9th 2019, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks scar ... maybe I should order one now be 100%
Old Jan 9th 2019, 6:21 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

I'm always amazed at the numbers of people with criminal records that seem to convince themselves that their offending is historic/minor/spent/whatever and doesn't need to be declared to the immigration authorities in a foreign country.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Houston we have a problem!

Best case 5 grand lawyer fees worst case no visa!

I live and learn by my mistakes.

Again thanks for your replies.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 1:48 pm
Concierge

That was his 'best' case scenario? Bummer. Was it based on the criminal record of a teenager or for using the VWP without full disclosure? Or perhaps a combination of both?

I don't recall the poster who had a problem such as yours but they were successful. Since you are going back to the UK and will be dealing with the US Embassy in London for your visa, you will at least hopefully have the opportunity to file for a waive of inadmissibility.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 3:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You gp through the process, submit your criminal records and then see, up to the CO if they consider the crime or misprep needs a waiver.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

So based on above replies it would be a good idea to contact immigration attorney while in USA. I’ll action that ASAP.

Does anyone have a ballpark figure for Immigration Attorney cost for a simple uncomplicated CR-1 process? I understand no case or location is identical. I’d just like to know if say expect $3k or $10k!? I’ll then double the figure based on my circumstance.

So continue with CR-1 process and find out if I need a waiver of inadmissible?

If/when I require a waiver of inadmissibillity would this be a simple process auctioned in UK and decided by US Embassy in London? Would this require court action in USA if I was denied?

It was very complicated and I’ve obviously added a new layer of complexity.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 5:00 pm
Often not so civil...

If/when I require a waiver of inadmissibillity would this be a simple process auctioned in UK and decided by US Embassy in London? Would this require court action in USA if I was denied?
Waivers, if required and recommended, go back to the US to the Department of Homeland Security to be reviewed and actioned. If you are refused for a waiver (which I think unlikely to be honest) then you will need to appeal which occurs through the Board of Immigration Appeals in the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.