British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   Accompanying wife on her IR-1 interview London. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/accompanying-wife-her-ir-1-interview-london-904125/)

AndyMan74 Oct 4th 2017 9:46 am

Accompanying wife on her IR-1 interview London.

I would like to accompany my wife on her IR-1 interview at the London Embassy but not sure what I need to do. Is there a form or something I need to fill in beforehand? It’s a good bet I will need my US passport but is there anything else.

Many Thanks

tom169 Oct 4th 2017 10:51 am

Re: Accompanying wife on her IR-1 interview London.

I believe she will need to contact the embassy after she has her interview date and ask for you to be added to the list.

If you aren't on the list you won't be allowed in.

That said, the whole process will likely take not that long. There are enough coffee shops and a park nearby to put your feet up for an hour or two.

Chins Oct 4th 2017 1:12 pm

Recomendations for good coffee shops nearby appreciated. My wife will be waiting outside tomorrow. She is still miffed they dont want to see her :)

AndyMan74 Oct 10th 2017 9:20 am

If you go into the London embassy is there a place to leave big bags and such?

Thanks.

tom169 Oct 10th 2017 11:06 am

Originally Posted by AndyMan74 (Post 12357656)

Thanks.

Not really. It will be a pain getting big bags through security scanners. It's like an airport style security to get in.

az2014 Oct 10th 2017 11:58 am

Thanks.

Why would you take big bags with you :confused:

KK85 Oct 10th 2017 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by az2014 (Post 12357787)

I imagine lots of people have to stay in London overnight in order to attend their interview, so might be carrying a bit of extra luggage. I am very fortunate to have a sister who has offered to come with me to mine, for precisely this reason!

Glad to hear there are plenty of coffee shops nearby for her to lounge in. :)

tom169 Oct 10th 2017 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by KK85 (Post 12357792)
I imagine lots of people have to stay in London overnight in order to attend their interview, so might be carrying a bit of extra luggage. I am very fortunate to have a sister who has offered to come with me to mine, for precisely this reason!

Glad to hear there are plenty of coffee shops nearby for her to lounge in. :)

I managed a change of clothes in a rucksack and used hotel toiletries etc. Easy ;)

BenK91 Oct 10th 2017 4:33 pm

As Tom said, it's pretty much airport-style security.

I believe some of the corner shops nearby offer a lockbox service, but I think this is mostly for phones or laptops and that sort of thing.

AndyMan74 Oct 10th 2017 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by az2014 (Post 12357787)

KK85 hit the nail on the head - I might have to step carefully answering your question but its my wife who is having the interview :p

Yea we have to stay in a hotel so I will have some stuff with me. I imagine I will be a pack mule in the park and wait and grab a coffee :fingerscrossed:

Rete Oct 10th 2017 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by AndyMan74 (Post 12358032)
KK85 hit the nail on the head - I might have to step carefully answering your question but its my wife who is having the interview :p

Yea we have to stay in a hotel so I will have some stuff with me. I imagine I will be a pack mule in the park and wait and grab a coffee :fingerscrossed:

If you are staying at a hotel, why not leave the bags with them until after the interview and then go and pick them up. Works whether you attend the interview with her or not.

az2014 Oct 10th 2017 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by AndyMan74 (Post 12358032)

Every time ive stayed at a hotel in my life it has never been a problem to leave luggage there after checking out and picking it up later.

LandOfLincoln Oct 10th 2017 11:05 pm

Thanks.

When I went for my IR-1 interview last week there was a sign outside the visa applicant security hut detailing local businesses which offered photocopy, passport photo and luggage/laptop storage services. One was a pharmacy, one was a newsagent and I think there was one other, all local to the embassy. Obviously the US Embassy London cannot and does not endorse these external services (as their disclaimer makes clear!) but they clearly see enough people coming for interviews without having read the guidelines on what to bring / what not to bring that they now put these suggestions on a sign.