Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Accepting job without EAD card in hand?

Wikiposts

Accepting job without EAD card in hand?

Old Feb 11th 2004, 9:40 am
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Accepting job without EAD card in hand?

Ok, so my EAD has been approved online on Feburary 4th. It now changed to say that it was mailed out on the 10th. In other words I have been approved and should have the card in my hand any day now.
Today my husband's work has asked me to help them finish this project that needs to be done asap. It will only be next week (so just a short temp job). Is it ok that I accepted it based on the fact that my EAD was approved but I don't have the card in my hand yet? (And who knows, it might just arrive by the end of this week so that I'd have it before I'd even start helping them)
Old Feb 11th 2004, 9:42 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accepting job without EAD card in hand?

I don't know the answer to it Steffi but well done on getting the job offer. I know it's temp but who knows what it could lead to and it all helps.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 9:47 am
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sibsie
I don't know the answer to it Steffi but well done on getting the job offer. I know it's temp but who knows what it could lead to and it all helps.
I'm just putting price stickers on Chic-Fil-A signs so it's really nothing big what so ever. But yeah, we can use a little extra money, it will give me something productive to do, plus who knows...maybe they'll remember me if a job offering ever comes up that I could be interested in? I mean everyone knows me at his work already anyway (we get called the siamese twins, haha), but you never know, right??

*edit because my first write-up sounded funny*

Last edited by Steffi; Feb 11th 2004 at 9:52 am.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 10:19 am
Mrtravelkay

Steffi wrote:

> Ok, so my EAD has been approved online on Feburary 4th. It now changed
    > to say that it was mailed out on the 10th. In other words I have been
    > approved and should have the card in my hand any day now.
    > Today my
    > husband's work has asked me to help them finish this project that needs
    > to be done asap. It will only be next week (so just a short temp job).
    > Is it ok that I accepted it based on the fact that my EAD was approved
    > but I don't have the card in my hand yet? (And who knows, it might just
    > arrive by the end of this week so that I'd have it before I'd even start
    > helping them)

Will this be as a "waged" employee or as an independent contracter.
When filing I-9, you would have to provide the employer with proof that
you can work.

Old Feb 11th 2004, 10:19 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Steffi,

You complete Section 1 of the I-9. Do you have the information you need to do so?

The employer completes Sections 2 and 3 of the I-9. Up to them what they're willing to sign off on.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by Steffi
Ok, so my EAD has been approved online on Feburary 4th. It now changed to say that it was mailed out on the 10th. In other words I have been approved and should have the card in my hand any day now.
Today my husband's work has asked me to help them finish this project that needs to be done asap. It will only be next week (so just a short temp job). Is it ok that I accepted it based on the fact that my EAD was approved but I don't have the card in my hand yet? (And who knows, it might just arrive by the end of this week so that I'd have it before I'd even start helping them)
Old Feb 11th 2004, 10:30 am
K1 via London

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
Steffi,

You complete Section 1 of the I-9. Do you have the information you need to do so?

The employer completes Sections 2 and 3 of the I-9. Up to them what they're willing to sign off on.

Regards, JEff
I guess since I don't have the card yet I wouldn't be able to fill out the part that states:

[ ] An alien authorized to work until __/__/__

Hmmmm....well I better cross my fingers that it arrives by Monday then! But if they sent it off yesterday (Tuesday) I would hope that it would arrive by Monday.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 2:28 am
Debidoll

Why don't you print out a copy of what it says on the website (that
you have been approved) to show your employer in case it doesn't get
there in time? We were just in the same situation, and that is what
we were going to do, but the card did get here in time. Worth a
shot!?

Debbie

Old Feb 12th 2004, 6:50 am
Mrtravelkay

debidoll wrote:
    > Why don't you print out a copy of what it says on the website (that
    > you have been approved) to show your employer in case it doesn't get
    > there in time? We were just in the same situation, and that is what
    > we were going to do, but the card did get here in time. Worth a
    > shot!?

It depends on how much the employer is concerned about the requirements
for I-9. If I were the employer, I wouldn't care what the letter said.
If you didn't have the documentation listed on the I-9, I wouldn't let
you work.

Old Feb 12th 2004, 8:31 am
K1 via London

Originally posted by Mrtravelkay
Will this be as a "waged" employee or as an independent contracter. When filing I-9, you would have to provide the employer with proof that you can work.
I think they'd just consider it contracted work. They don't want to hire me full time or anything because it will only take a week to complete the project.

And yeah, I've printed out what it says online just in case. Hopefully it'll get here tomorrow or Saturday though so that I won't have to worry.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 4:57 am
Sfm

mrtravelkay <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected] om>...
    > debidoll wrote:
    > > Why don't you print out a copy of what it says on the website (that
    > > you have been approved) to show your employer in case it doesn't get
    > > there in time? We were just in the same situation, and that is what
    > > we were going to do, but the card did get here in time. Worth a
    > > shot!?
    >
    > It depends on how much the employer is concerned about the requirements
    > for I-9. If I were the employer, I wouldn't care what the letter said.
    > If you didn't have the documentation listed on the I-9, I wouldn't let
    > you work.

If it's contracted work from your husband's place of employment why
not just put the contract in your husband's name?

Old Feb 13th 2004, 5:47 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Sfm,

Because she's the one who will be doing the job, not her husband?

Why do you suggest that the employer break the law?

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by Sfm

If it's contracted work from your husband's place of employment why
not just put the contract in your husband's name?
Old Feb 13th 2004, 5:53 am
K1 via London

I think my card MAY have arrived. My mother-in-law called yesterday to say there was a letter for me at her house (our old address) and it felt like there was a "credit card" inside. Since I haven't applied for any credit card my husband and I are thinking that it may just be my EAD card. I guess we'll see when we pick it up.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 5:57 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Steffi
I think my card MAY have arrived. My mother-in-law called yesterday to say there was a letter for me at her house (our old address) and it felt like there was a "credit card" inside. Since I haven't applied for any credit card my husband and I are thinking that it may just be my EAD card. I guess we'll see when we pick it up.
Tell mum-in-law to open it so you can find out!!!!!!! Hehehehe!!! Sorry! You must be a VERY patient person! I'd be demanding that she open it right now!!!

Kate. xxxx
Old Feb 13th 2004, 6:50 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by katesuiter1
Tell mum-in-law to open it so you can find out!!!!!!! Hehehehe!!! Sorry! You must be a VERY patient person! I'd be demanding that she open it right now!!!

Kate. xxxx

Me too!

Have you found out yet Steffi?

Let me be the first to say congrats if you did get it.

Best wishes

CB
Old Feb 13th 2004, 6:58 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

What's her number? I'll call her and get her to open it! Fingers crossed it's your EAD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.