Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Is it "acceptable" to ask for a progress report?

Wikiposts

Is it "acceptable" to ask for a progress report?

Old Sep 25th 2006, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

Chrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant future
Smile Is it "acceptable" to ask for a progress report?

Hi Everyone

I was just wondering if it acceptable to call the California processing centre, to enquire as to the status of our fiance visa application?

The official date that they received our paperwork was the 11th July.

My U.S partner has asked me to try to find out, because she would like me to be there for a 12 week vacation from the 3rd week of October until mid January - allowing us to spend Thanksgiving, Christmas and the New Year together.

I guess I'm just wondering what the chances of me needing to come home to do my Embassy visit would be? - whereas if I were to know for pretty certain that I wouldn't be processed until say end of January - then I'd know that I was reasonably safe to go. But I also do not want to "annoy" any official by calling and end up getting put to the back of the queue.

I have seen the web page with the current processing dates - but a few people on here have told me to ignore those dates pretty much.

As always, I'd really appreciate your advice - thanks folks
Old Sep 25th 2006, 1:58 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it "acceptable" to ask for a progress report?

YOu can't ask. You are not the petitioner so they will not even talk with you.

If she is curious about the status, have her call. But I doubt highly she will be able to get any kind of straight answer from them. With the new name check in place for the USC holding up the petitions, it is highly unlikely that the US portion of the I-129F will be cleared before December.

If you want to come and visit, do so. Bring proof of your ties back in your country and hope that the agent believes you. This is going to be difficult as it is apparent that you have no job or housing of your own in the UK to prove your ties and only your "good" word that you are entering solely with the thought and intent to visit and not migrate.

After you marry, you will have the rest of your lives to spend holidays together. Chalk this one up to waiting time.

Originally Posted by Chrisw1968
Hi Everyone

I was just wondering if it acceptable to call the California processing centre, to enquire as to the status of our fiance visa application?

The official date that they received our paperwork was the 11th July.

My U.S partner has asked me to try to find out, because she would like me to be there for a 12 week vacation from the 3rd week of October until mid January - allowing us to spend Thanksgiving, Christmas and the New Year together.

I guess I'm just wondering what the chances of me needing to come home to do my Embassy visit would be? - whereas if I were to know for pretty certain that I wouldn't be processed until say end of January - then I'd know that I was reasonably safe to go. But I also do not want to "annoy" any official by calling and end up getting put to the back of the queue.

I have seen the web page with the current processing dates - but a few people on here have told me to ignore those dates pretty much.

As always, I'd really appreciate your advice - thanks folks
Old Sep 25th 2006, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

Chrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Rete
YOu can't ask. You are not the petitioner so they will not even talk with you.

If she is curious about the status, have her call. But I doubt highly she will be able to get any kind of straight answer from them. With the new name check in place for the USC holding up the petitions, it is highly unlikely that the US portion of the I-129F will be cleared before December.

If you want to come and visit, do so. Bring proof of your ties back in your country and hope that the agent believes you. This is going to be difficult as it is apparent that you have no job or housing of your own in the UK to prove your ties and only your "good" word that you are entering solely with the thought and intent to visit and not migrate.

After you marry, you will have the rest of your lives to spend holidays together. Chalk this one up to waiting time.
Thankyou Rete - I really appreciate your advice

I can bring proof that I own a home over here, all fully paid for - and is currently on the market to be sold - I have visited my partner 7 times in the last 2 years, with the last twice being for the maximum duration allowable, do you think that the fact that I have been a "good boy" over there and that they have never had to come looking for me will help at all? I have always left when I said i was going too and can show that we are doing everything "straight down the line" with the fiance paperwork - will that help in a "sticky situation" do you think?
Many thanks
Old Sep 25th 2006, 2:56 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

No, your past behavior is not a voucher for your future behavior. In fact, having a Fiancee Visa in the works shows your intent and that is what you need to overcome at the next entry. Most people never have an issue at the POE, you might not as well. However, if you are the exception be prepared to defend yourself with proof of return. It would be a little easier, IMHO, if your stay was of a shorter duration than the full 90 days. Can't you come for the Christmas holiday only or just Thanksgiving and Christmas (30 days)?

Thankyou Rete - I really appreciate your advice

I can bring proof that I own a home over here, all fully paid for - and is currently on the market to be sold - I have visited my partner 7 times in the last 2 years, with the last twice being for the maximum duration allowable, do you think that the fact that I have been a "good boy" over there and that they have never had to come looking for me will help at all? I have always left when I said i was going too and can show that we are doing everything "straight down the line" with the fiance paperwork - will that help in a "sticky situation" do you think?
Many thanks
Old Sep 25th 2006, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Is it "acceptable" to ask for a progress report?

Originally Posted by Rete
No, your past behavior is not a voucher for your future behavior. In fact, having a Fiancee Visa in the works shows your intent and that is what you need to overcome at the next entry. Most people never have an issue at the POE, you might not as well. However, if you are the exception be prepared to defend yourself with proof of return. It would be a little easier, IMHO, if your stay was of a shorter duration than the full 90 days. Can't you come for the Christmas holiday only or just Thanksgiving and Christmas (30 days)?
That does actually sound like the safer option - I think i'll do that
Many thanks again
Old Sep 26th 2006, 4:41 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

That does actually sound like the safer option - I think i'll do that
Many thanks again
Plus, your trip can always be 'extended' once here- as long as it is an unrestricted fare. As Rete says, bring plenty of proof that you intend to return- 7 trips here, plus an application for K-1 visa may just be enough for some moron INS official to turn you around at the airport, as was done to my now wife 4 years ago on her 6th visit here. The fact that you are in the legal visa process (and why would you screw that up) doesn't seem to enter their brains. Or maybe it's because after coming here on visits, and starting the visa process, the whole 10 foot pole issue becomes so very very enticing!!
Old Sep 26th 2006, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ironporer
Plus, your trip can always be 'extended' once here- as long as it is an unrestricted fare. As Rete says, bring plenty of proof that you intend to return- 7 trips here, plus an application for K-1 visa may just be enough for some moron INS official to turn you around at the airport, as was done to my now wife 4 years ago on her 6th visit here. The fact that you are in the legal visa process (and why would you screw that up) doesn't seem to enter their brains. Or maybe it's because after coming here on visits, and starting the visa process, the whole 10 foot pole issue becomes so very very enticing!!
Thankyou buddy - I appreciate your comments

Its seems that I had got it wrong - I thought that those points would have gone in my favour - but obviously not! lol, If i was going to become an illegal, I think i would have done it before now and it sure would have saved a few pounds in airfare too lol.

Ill play it safe i think - I dont want anything to screw this up for us now

Many thanks all
Old Sep 27th 2006, 1:11 pm
TomAlciere

Rete wrote:
    > YOu can't ask. You are not the petitioner so they will not even
    > talk with you.
    > If she is curious about the status, have her call. But I doubt highly
    > she will be able to get any kind of straight answer from them.

This would be a situation where a Congressional caseworker could get a
straight answer for the USC.

Visit my site at http://free-immigration-help.com and find a
Congressional office near the petitioner (U.S. House of Representatives
members have caseworkers who can only help residents of their
Congressional district, whilst U.S. Senators have caseworkers who can
help a resident of anywhere in the State.)

Have the petitioner telephone or visit the Congressional office to ask
them to enquire.

Tom

Old Sep 27th 2006, 1:59 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TomAlciere
Rete wrote:
    > YOu can't ask. You are not the petitioner so they will not even
    > talk with you.
    > If she is curious about the status, have her call. But I doubt highly
    > she will be able to get any kind of straight answer from them.

This would be a situation where a Congressional caseworker could get a
straight answer for the USC.

Visit my site at http://free-immigration-help.com and find a
Congressional office near the petitioner (U.S. House of Representatives
members have caseworkers who can only help residents of their
Congressional district, whilst U.S. Senators have caseworkers who can
help a resident of anywhere in the State.)

Have the petitioner telephone or visit the Congressional office to ask
them to enquire.

Tom
I know you meant well, but this is a naive response, seeing as his fiancee only submitted the petition on the 11th of July. 10 weeks would not constitute a congressional inquiry IMHO.

To the OP: We waited almost six months to the day for an approval of my petition in 2003 from Nebraska. It was approved on November 13, 2003 and he had his K-1 interview on Jan. 6, 2004 in London. We were as impatient as you were, and also questioned whether or not he could visit during the processing time and what risks were involved. He had significant ties to the UK at the time, which he could easily prove, but we chose not to visit with him coming to the US because we didn't want to risk him being turned round at the POE. Instead, during the processing I was lucky enough to be able to go there once (to the UK from the US) and see him there. I did bring proof of my ties to the US, just in case they thought I had immigrative intent with a petition in the system. I was not asked for anything other than my passport at London.

I hope this helps. Just keep waiting. I know it's hard. I did it. I lived it. And we've been married now in the US for almost three years. You can make it. Just don't jump the gun.......it will take awhile.

~SecretGarden
~and Mr. Pink
PS to the OP: I sent you Karma from British Expats which gave you SIX blue boxes under your name.........*that* will help you more than a congressional inquiry at this stage!

Last edited by SecretGarden; Sep 27th 2006 at 2:02 pm. Reason: additon
Old Sep 27th 2006, 2:10 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
I know you meant well, but this is a naive response, seeing as his fiancee only submitted the petition on the 11th of July. 10 weeks would not constitute a congressional inquiry IMHO.

Not sure he means well - he is posting the same nonsense on all the forums...

To the OP: Why not have your fiancee come and visit you in the UK? It's a beautiful country and, seeing that you'll be living in the US before too long, why not make the most of it?

Just a suggestion...
Old Sep 28th 2006, 12:14 am
Verna

Hi

Ive sent mine in on the 8th May and it got approved on the 15th Sept. Now
its off to the NVC.

So try and be patient. I know its hard...

I only have two words about travelling to the US once you have applied for a
visa.. BE CARFUL. I got refused entry. It is very heart breaking.

Good luck It will be worth the wait. XxX

I can keep you informed of my dates if that will help you

Chrisw1968 wrote:
    >Hi Everyone
    >I was just wondering if it acceptable to call the California processing
    >centre, to enquire as to the status of our fiance visa application?
    >The official date that they received our paperwork was the 11th July.
    >My U.S partner has asked me to try to find out, because she would like
    >me to be there for a 12 week vacation from the 3rd week of October until
    >mid January - allowing us to spend Thanksgiving, Christmas and the New
    >Year together.
    >I guess I'm just wondering what the chances of me needing to come home
    >to do my Embassy visit would be? - whereas if I were to know for pretty
    >certain that I wouldn't be processed until say end of January - then I'd
    >know that I was reasonably safe to go. But I also do not want to "annoy"
    >any official by calling and end up getting put to the back of the queue.
    >I have seen the web page with the current processing dates - but a few
    >people on here have told me to ignore those dates pretty much.
    >As always, I'd really appreciate your advice - thanks folks

Old Sep 29th 2006, 6:57 am
Eric S.

If you're only worried about the possibility of having to return home to go
to the Embassy, then you needn't worry. The way the K-1 process works is
this: Once the I-129F petition is approved, it is sent to the foreign
consulate. The consulate will send you paperwork that you need to complete
and send back to them. They won't schedule your interview until you've done
that.

Of perhaps more worry is possible problems at the POE when you go to visit
your fiance. As others have mentioned, the officers at the POE sometimes
get suspicious when they see you've entered a lot of times recently. And
they also might scrutinize you more if they realize out you are coming to
visit a fiance. So you may need to convince them that you truly will return
home at the end of your visit.

Good luck.
- Eric S.

"Chrisw1968" <member50907@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    > Hi Everyone
    > I was just wondering if it acceptable to call the California processing
    > centre, to enquire as to the status of our fiance visa application?
    > The official date that they received our paperwork was the 11th July.
    > My U.S partner has asked me to try to find out, because she would like
    > me to be there for a 12 week vacation from the 3rd week of October until
    > mid January - allowing us to spend Thanksgiving, Christmas and the New
    > Year together.
    > I guess I'm just wondering what the chances of me needing to come home
    > to do my Embassy visit would be? - whereas if I were to know for pretty
    > certain that I wouldn't be processed until say end of January - then I'd
    > know that I was reasonably safe to go. But I also do not want to "annoy"
    > any official by calling and end up getting put to the back of the queue.
    > I have seen the web page with the current processing dates - but a few
    > people on here have told me to ignore those dates pretty much.
    > As always, I'd really appreciate your advice - thanks folks
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com