Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Abusive Spouse and Moving On Emotionally and Physically

Abusive Spouse and Moving On Emotionally and Physically

Old Mar 10th 2011, 10:45 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abusive Spouse and Moving On Emotional

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
She does if she wants to completely avoid her abuser! Did you miss that bit?

Ian
You know what I meant. If you don't have anything constructive to add - don't bother posting.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 12:14 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by g1ant
You know what I meant.
I know what you wrote. If you meant something different, that's what you should have written.

If you don't have anything constructive to add - don't bother posting.
You're right... I guess nothing I've said in this thread has been constructive. I'll just go sit in a corner somewhere and let you handle things.

Ian
Old Mar 11th 2011, 1:13 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Guys, please, this thread is already OT enough.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 4:09 am
Just Joined

WA_Gurl 2009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: So hard to move on...

Originally Posted by crosscountryrider
Hello,
I agree with Ian last response. Also file your divorce right away - it's easy.
If you go to your court they most likely will help you to fill out the form if you explain your situation.
He will receive a order to appear in court and if he doesn't appear he will have to find good reasons why not otherwise he will end up in jail.

Also I saw that he is trying to figure out where you are. I would definitely dicuss a permanent protection order with court based on your evidence.

We just had a couple of standoffs ( domestic violence) with similar cases
and I consider those guys as potentially dangerous.

When you file a divorce you might pull the trigger to make him explode.

I hope not but my experience with similar cases just let me be cautious.

I am not counsellor but a Emergency responder and we deal with cases like this a lot (unfortunately).

Again as written in my first response -be cautious!

Also a advise (this a tough one) : Try not get too much emotionally involved again - just see this a necessary series of task to resolve technical problem.
Find some friends who will support you through the process.

And as Ian said -DO NOT TALK WITH HIM .Talk with court and agencies which can help to resolve the problem!

If you need any advise how to deal with the court just let me know .Also I have work with them as well and can ask them for some guidance at any time.

Good luck
CCR
Hi CCR,

Unfortunately--I didn't show up on the 1 year protective order, I was scared.
I guess I never deal with this like this before.
But can I get another restraining order again if later on he started to call or stalk me eventhough I didn't do the 1 year permanent restraining order?
Old Mar 11th 2011, 4:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
What you have to understand is the guy you fell in love with doesn't really exist...it was all an act. The guy who mistreated you is the real person and he will not and cannot change who he is.
I realize now that all along he's not him--the person I marry and I've known was gone--the true color showed up
I kept pushing the thoughts to myself now so I won't give myself a blink to even care about him.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 5:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WA_Gurl 2009
Hi CCR,

But can I get another restraining order again if later on he started to call or stalk me eventhough I didn't do the 1 year permanent restraining order?
If he threatens or stalks you, the answer is yes. If he leaves threating messages on you answering machine, e-mail, or text messages, save those so that you have proof.

He will receive a order to appear in court and if he doesn't appear he will have to find good reasons why not otherwise he will end up in jail.
Highly unlikely that he will be put in jail since this is a civil matter. Usually the judge will just grant the divorce if a party doesn't show up. Then he will have to try to appeal the order (then he will need a good reason for the appeal) before the divorce is final.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 5:25 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abusive Spouse and Moving On Emotionally and Physically

I'd suggest that you start another thread if you want some advice on the "moving on" part that does not have to do with USCIS/ICE. Separate out some of the very justified emotions away from the practical advice that you must consider for immigration.

I didn't read through all of the posts, but you must keep your PR status, whatever it is, current, and file to renew at the appropriate times. You do not need your husband/ex-husband to do this.

If you are not a citizen, you will need to file change of address forms with USCIS. Keep current with this.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 12:34 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Yes... and you need to do it NOW, not later. By the time he's stalking you it'll be too late. It will never get better, it will only get worse. An abuser always escalates the situation!

Ian
Old Mar 11th 2011, 3:03 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Not a good idea in this situation. This woman needs more than simply to be un-married.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by g1ant
You can do the divorce yourself. All the information you need is out there on the net. You don't need a lawyer.

a.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Gerber will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Abusive Spouse and Moving On Emotionally and Physically

I think a good place to start would be to contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline.

Information on: http://www.thehotline.org/

They will answer all your questions and provided you with constructive advice and tangible support in your area. Don't worry about talking to them (ie. ref your PR status)--they are more interested in helping you and will keep your information private.

Good luck!
Old Mar 11th 2011, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Michael
If he threatens or stalks you, the answer is yes. If he leaves threating messages on you answering machine, e-mail, or text messages, save those so that you have proof.

Highly unlikely that he will be put in jail since this is a civil matter. Usually the judge will just grant the divorce if a party doesn't show up. Then he will have to try to appeal the order (then he will need a good reason for the appeal) before the divorce is final.
This far he only stalked me because he wanted to know where I live, but didn't do anything yet.
He still trying to get me back--so I bet he's trying to be super nice now, don't know later when he blow up--he might do something.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

crosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Michael

Michael,
Appearantly he will go into jail if he is in contempt of the court. It's with the judge how he want to handle the case.
In particular if it come to the separation agreement and OP or court wants to decide in favour of the OP.
Kind Regards
CCR
Old Mar 11th 2011, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

crosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud of

Hi CCR,

Hi,
yes you will get another protection order.I would strongly recommend to get a attorney from a welfare or charity or even a ask the court to assign a attorney if you want to get a protection order.

But no doubts that you will get another one . ( will be decided incident by incident ).

Hope this helps
CCR
Old Mar 11th 2011, 9:33 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

This far he only stalked me because he wanted to know where I live, but didn't do anything yet.
When he does something, it will be too late. You must act now to protect yourself, with the knowledge that he is trying to find you. I wish you the strength to move on with your life and put this behind you, and the assistance of good people at local organizations to combat domestic violence. Good luck to you.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 9:39 pm
Account Closed

What do you mean he "didn't do anything yet"? Stalking is illegal. You know that, right? He's not following you... he's targeting you!

... later when he blow up--he might do something.
Later? He's doing something NOW!

Protect yourself NOW... later may be too late!

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.