Reload this Page >

About 'fat brown envelopes' hitting the black hole

Wikiposts

About 'fat brown envelopes' hitting the black hole

Old Feb 20th 2004, 6:32 pm
I love my sailor.

Marjeta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default About 'fat brown envelopes' hitting the black hole

Curious... Does anyone really know how the 'big brown envelope' travels or where it goes after you surrender it at the POE? Do they just store it in a pile there until someone asks for it? If not, how do they know where to send it?
The reason I ask is because the USCIS does not seem to have an organized computer system that could allow fluctuation of such info.
I remember I had a bad feeling giving my stuff to the USCIS officer. The way he carelessly stamped and threw the papers on a pile... I dunno.
So basically I've no idea how it works to get that particular envelope (safely!) to the office where you filed for AOS - from a random US POE...

I was thinking about it after Rogers wrote how they lost all of their K1 medical records.

OMG, must go to bed now!
Old Feb 21st 2004, 2:40 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: About 'fat brown envelopes' hitting the black hole

Originally posted by Marjeta
Curious... Does anyone really know how the 'big brown envelope' travels or where it goes after you surrender it at the POE? Do they just store it in a pile there until someone asks for it? If not, how do they know where to send it?
The reason I ask is because the USCIS does not seem to have an organized computer system that could allow fluctuation of such info.
I remember I had a bad feeling giving my stuff to the USCIS officer. The way he carelessly stamped and threw the papers on a pile... I dunno.
So basically I've no idea how it works to get that particular envelope (safely!) to the office where you filed for AOS - from a random US POE...

I was thinking about it after Rogers wrote how they lost all of their K1 medical records.

OMG, must go to bed now!
Bump
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 2:46 am
Scott and Nanette

ScottHenshaw is an unknown quantity at this point

That is a very good question as the envelope really contains a lot of stuff in it. I wonder myself if the local offices even have access to it, like Seattle in my case where we are filing her AOS. Being that according to the online instructions we have to file only a suplimental vaccination thing, rather than a full medical... Do they see the medical in the brown envelope? Is the brown envelope even in Seattle? Is it in some secret government holding facility? No that it really matter, but there must by a heck of a lot of these some where and I assume that if they are all in the same building, it must either be pretty darned large or have one heck of a paper shredder. One thing is for sure that they do not sell the info to mail order catalog compaines as Nanette really does not get all that many mail order offers. "Welcome to the USA, you are now eligable for up to 50% off on new aluminum house siding"...
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

207lonsdale is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Marjeta
Curious... Does anyone really know how the 'big brown envelope' travels or where it goes after you surrender it at the POE?
/QUOTE]

An agent told me that the original documents are forwarded to Missouri ........ when you file for AOS, your local office will then request that the file be transferred.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

207lonsdale is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by ScottHenshaw
That is a very good question as the envelope really contains a lot of stuff in it. I wonder myself if the local offices even have access to it, like Seattle in my case where we are filing her AOS. Being that according to the online instructions we have to file only a suplimental vaccination thing, rather than a full medical... Do they see the medical in the brown envelope? Is the brown envelope even in Seattle? Is it in some secret government holding facility? No that it really matter, but there must by a heck of a lot of these some where and I assume that if they are all in the same building, it must either be pretty darned large or have one heck of a paper shredder. One thing is for sure that they do not sell the info to mail order catalog compaines as Nanette really does not get all that many mail order offers. "Welcome to the USA, you are now eligable for up to 50% off on new aluminum house siding"...
The office where you file for AOS must have the original documents in order to verify the documents you file for AOS .... or at least this is what I was advised by an agent in the San Bernadino office. The supervisor at that office told me this was to prevent fraud, in that they had to verify that you had married the USC named in the original petition. Apparently there are a lot of K1's who arrive in the US, marry someone else and still try to adjust status!
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 4:12 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 207lonsdale
Curious... Does anyone really know how the 'big brown envelope' travels or where it goes after you surrender it at the POE?
/QUOTE]

An agent told me that the original documents are forwarded to Missouri ........ when you file for AOS, your local office will then request that the file be transferred.

Not sure if it is Missouri, but yes, the envelope and all its contents (which is everything you submitted and any notations of the USCIS and DOS) are sent to central holding where it is dispatched to the district office and/or service center when it is called for. At least that is what I have been told happens to the brown envelope years ago and see no reason to think otherwise. I know that some people assume when asked where are you going to be living that the agent then dispatches the envelope to the appropriate district office. This rationally cannot be true since you might be moving out of state before you file and the address you give at the time of entry is not the same as the one you will be living in when filing.

As for Roger, I don't know that the person as a K-1 recipient or filed from I-130 stateside and included the medical at the time of filing. Regardless his purported conversation with the DAO seems strange.

Rete
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 4:43 am
Meticulous

daveyb is an unknown quantity at this point

I asked the same question at JFK and was told that it would be transfered to my local office ( Philly). I also asked at Philly and they said " don't worry"!!!! we will have it sent to us.

OMG, must go to bed now!
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 11:19 am
I love my sailor.

Marjeta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rete
I know that some people assume when asked where are you going to be living that the agent then dispatches the envelope to the appropriate district office. This rationally cannot be true since you might be moving out of state before you file and the address you give at the time of entry is not the same as the one you will be living in when filing.
Indeed, that was my main concern. Because when I entered the US we did not know yet where we are going to live. Thanks for the explanation.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Pallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura about

Hopefully ours has made it to the district office by now, but they didn't have it at the time of our interview. We applied for adjustment 14 months before the interview and got our notice for the interview 5 months in advance. I don't know how they adjusted him without it, they did make him get the vaccine supplement. Maybe the officer was embarrassed that he found records for two other people stuck in my husband's file. Actually, sorting that out took as much of the interview time as actually questioning us and reviewing our evidence. We had the original approval notice and copies of everything that was within our control.