Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

8 Month Update - Moving with a toddler

8 Month Update - Moving with a toddler

Old Apr 14th 2012, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

just_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to all
Default 8 Month Update - Moving with a toddler

Hello everyone,

I've been popping in intermittently, mostly to ask questions re: spouse visas, but thought I'd stop by to give a little update.

I've been back in the UK for nearly 8 months and things are ticking along nicely. I think I'm going partially gray from the anxiety of applying for DH's visa (he's still in the US) but the end is in sight and I'm hoping we'll have a decision by the end of the month. We have a tentative arrival date of June 29th for him.

I'm in a job that I'm really enjoying. My probation period was signed off this week so I'm now officially permanent. Woohoo! The office culture is mostly the same but there are quite a few differences. I've noticed that there is sometimes a marked difference between the "admin/clerical" folks and the "professional" people...maybe this is just because I work in a University but it was still quite surprising. I think people can be a bit more negative too though I've typically found it easy to deflect the moaning.

Living with my parents has been interesting...I really appreciate all they've done for me but they are perhaps more exhausting than my 2-year-old so I don't think it's something I'd recommend! It's been hard at times living a transitory existence all crammed into their house but I've found making sure I get out to do some exercise helps beat some of the stress!

But all the stress has been worth it just to watch my son bloom and thrive over here. He has such a better quality of life....he has a garden and plentiful parks to play in, he goes to a nursery where the carers give a crap about his development and don't just sit the kids in front of a TV all day or rotate them round different baby walkers. Life in general is much more accommodating of families over here and there are so many places I can take him where he can just be a kid.

It hasn't all been smooth sailing but I'm still glad we moved and appreciating every moment of our new life.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 4:15 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 8 Month Update - Moving with a toddler

Originally Posted by just_jenn
Hello everyone,

I've been popping in intermittently, mostly to ask questions re: spouse visas, but thought I'd stop by to give a little update.

I've been back in the UK for nearly 8 months and things are ticking along nicely. I think I'm going partially gray from the anxiety of applying for DH's visa (he's still in the US) but the end is in sight and I'm hoping we'll have a decision by the end of the month. We have a tentative arrival date of June 29th for him.

I'm in a job that I'm really enjoying. My probation period was signed off this week so I'm now officially permanent. Woohoo! The office culture is mostly the same but there are quite a few differences. I've noticed that there is sometimes a marked difference between the "admin/clerical" folks and the "professional" people...maybe this is just because I work in a University but it was still quite surprising. I think people can be a bit more negative too though I've typically found it easy to deflect the moaning.

Living with my parents has been interesting...I really appreciate all they've done for me but they are perhaps more exhausting than my 2-year-old so I don't think it's something I'd recommend! It's been hard at times living a transitory existence all crammed into their house but I've found making sure I get out to do some exercise helps beat some of the stress!

But all the stress has been worth it just to watch my son bloom and thrive over here. He has such a better quality of life....he has a garden and plentiful parks to play in, he goes to a nursery where the carers give a crap about his development and don't just sit the kids in front of a TV all day or rotate them round different baby walkers. Life in general is much more accommodating of families over here and there are so many places I can take him where he can just be a kid.

It hasn't all been smooth sailing but I'm still glad we moved and appreciating every moment of our new life.
Lovely post. So glad it's worked out. I moved from my Mum's very recently after a year of me regressing into a 14 year old brat. Difficult but what would we do without them!
Old Apr 15th 2012, 8:18 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like it's all going well, your Dh gets his visa ASAP then you can really settle back down. Let us know how he gets on.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

Shazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant future

That's great news! I remember we both moved back around the same time last year

I am absolutely LOVING being back home myself. It hasn't all been smooth sailing but it's been totally worth it and neither love nor money to get me to leave this country again!

Hope hubby gets his visa soon
Old Jun 5th 2012, 4:59 pm
Erica

Erica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to all

Interesting post, you sound like a strong character! I am glad you are getting through this part with a positive outlook. It is hard adjusting, especially on your own without your husband, but you sound like you are doing really well. Were did you live in the US that the nursery would put the kids in front of the TV!?

he goes to a nursery where the carers give a crap about his development and don't just sit the kids in front of a TV all day or rotate them round different baby walkers. Life in general is much more accommodating of families over here and there are so many places I can take him where he can just be a kid.