Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

52 year old going back to UK after 43 years!

52 year old going back to UK after 43 years!

Old Aug 26th 2013, 2:23 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 52 year old going back to UK after 43 years!

Originally Posted by aries
I received the Australian Age Pension for some years before returning to England, so I now receive it here less the Supplement.

However in recent months the exchange rate has changed, so I'm now receiving about £150 less a month which is quite a blow.

Depending on your assets, you might do well to draw the UK pension when the time comes, and receive the various top ups. My UK pension is now still only 25 pence a week, increased by 5 pence since I returned
Sympathies re the exchange rate, it's so difficult when you're on a fixed income.

FC, are you sure you husband isn't eligible for any UK state pension at all? My maths (which is really, really bad) tells me he was 26 when he arrived in Oz, I think the calculation for the state pension starts from 16 years old? Hey - you might find he's eligible for enough to buy a Cornish pastie a week

If you find out that there's no way your husband can claim the Oz pension once you've moved back to the UK, is there any chance you could put your move off until he's 65? I know that would be so hard after all the preparations you've made, but you have to have something to live on. I really do feel for you
Old Aug 26th 2013, 2:29 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FullCircle
Hi SoS. Jeez, it's like the good news and the bad news, isn't it? He definitely qualifies for the residency bit and he's got 34 continuous working years under his belt. I'm hoping you're wrong about him having to be a resident when he lodges his claim though. If you can receive payments whilst living overseas and you meet the minimum residency requirements, it doesn't make sense to me that you have to be living here when you lodge your claim. If we were going to an 'agreement' country he could lodge from there without having to come back at all. A lot can happen in three years though so no point getting too chewed up about it - Yet! After reading some of the other posts about Spouse Visas I must admit I'm relieved I don't need to worry about that too. I get confused with all the acronyms let alone all the rules and regs! The frown lines are deepening by the minute!:frown
Sorry, I didn't see this when I posted my other reply! It seems very unfair that (if) your husband can't apply for the age pension from the UK - bloody governments will be the death of us all

I was spitting chips about the spouse visa regs for ages, felt like an undesirable alien instead of a Commonwealth ally! I've simmered down a bit now, although I still feel so sorry for those excluded from their own country.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

FullCircle is an unknown quantity at this point

150 quid less a month is a big drop and I can't believe the 25 pence a week joke. There's so much to learn. I know even less about the UK system than I do the Aussie one. I don't see how OH can make any claim in the UK when he only had 10 years working life there and hasn't made any contributions since he's been here. We're really psyched up for making the move soon so delaying for a couple of years isn't an option. I guess we'll just have to jump through the hoops and hope for the best. If all else fails, I'll just have to sell me Pasties on the Wharf!
Old Aug 27th 2013, 1:48 pm
Concierge

150 quid less a month is a big drop and I can't believe the 25 pence a week joke. There's so much to learn. I know even less about the UK system than I do the Aussie one. I don't see how OH can make any claim in the UK when he only had 10 years working life there and hasn't made any contributions since he's been here. We're really psyched up for making the move soon so delaying for a couple of years isn't an option. I guess we'll just have to jump through the hoops and hope for the best. If all else fails, I'll just have to sell me Pasties on the Wharf!
I'm sure your husband will be eligible for a part State pension when he turns 65, if he worked for 10 years in the UK he'd be eligible for 10/30ths of a full pension. Enough to buy instead of sell pasties, at least!! Have a look at the below.

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/help-if-y...-or-no-pension
If you reach State Pension age and have fewer than 30 qualifying years, you will get a proportion of the full State Pension. For example, if you have seven qualifying years, you will get a State Pension that is 7/30ths of the full State Pension.

Also, you can write and get a Pension Forecast sent to you in Oz (my husband did this)
https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-statement
Old Aug 27th 2013, 1:50 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on your situation with Aus pension, it may be worthwhile your husband paying NI for recent years (I think you can pay up to 6 years).

I'm pretty sure you must do this before you actually retire, but if he can afford it (I think it is about £250 for each year, so about £1500 for 6 years) it is definitely worth it, as you get back what you paid in, within less than a year of retirement.

Also, if he was eligible for NI credits, or was employed full-time for those 10 years, that is still one third of a full pension (currently 30 years NI payments for a full pension), so not to be sneezed at.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 2:43 pm
Concierge

[QUOTE=dunroving;10872104]Depending on your situation with Aus pension, it may be worthwhile your husband paying NI for recent years (I think you can pay up to 6 years).

I'm pretty sure you must do this before you actually retire, but if he can afford it (I think it is about £250 for each year, so about £1500 for 6 years) it is definitely worth it, as you get back what you paid in, within less than a year of retirement.

Also, if he was eligible for NI credits, or was employed full-time for those 10 years, that is still one third of a full pension (currently 30 years NI payments for a full pension), so not to be sneezed at.[/QUOTE]

That's around 36 or 37 quid a week FC, I reckon it'd cover your utilities which would be one less thing on the bills list
Old Aug 28th 2013, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

FullCircle is an unknown quantity at this point

Great advice everyone, I'll check out the suggested websites tonight. If I learn anything earth shattering, I'll be sure to share.
Thanks again
Old Aug 31st 2013, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Centrelink are getting tougher and tougher with people who are not resident etc. My friend's brother and his wife are returning to live in Aus so that they can get the Aus pension. Like the op he is entitled to a pension now but his wife is over 10 years younger. If they stayed where they were she would be left without a pension or income if he snuffed it before she reached retirement age. So living here is where they are going to be.
Old Aug 31st 2013, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'm sure your husband will be eligible for a part State pension when he turns 65, if he worked for 10 years in the UK he'd be eligible for 10/30ths of a full pension. Enough to buy instead of sell pasties, at least!! Have a look at the below.

***http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/help-if-y...-or-no-pension
If you reach State Pension age and have fewer than 30 qualifying years, you will get a proportion of the full State Pension. For example, if you have seven qualifying years, you will get a State Pension that is 7/30ths of the full State Pension.

Also, you can write and get a Pension Forecast sent to you in Oz (my husband did this)
https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-statement
Arrrrrggggghhhh! All along I worked on 30 years-for me it's 39 years!

Bugger! spit! spit! spit!
Old Aug 31st 2013, 9:54 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
Arrrrrggggghhhh! All along I worked on 30 years-for me it's 39 years!

Bugger! spit! spit! spit!

Sorry to hear that EiN