Wikiposts

5 years of taxes??

Old Jan 20th 2010, 11:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 years of taxes??

Originally Posted by sonnyboyusa
But here's another question I am grappling with:
Answered in separate thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=650467.

Ian
Old Jan 21st 2010, 3:04 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

sbu,

My wife sent photocopies of the form 1040 only. The purpose is not to document income, the tax returns are simply a means to document the marital relationship during the period of interest and the 1040 is sufficient for that.

She sent 5 year's worth, even though only 3 are required when the application for citizenship is based on marriage to a USC.

Regards, JEff

I am getting ready with N-400 Appn, am filing based on 5 years of Permanent Residency. Do I need to send in IRS certified copies of last 5 years tax returns now along with the N-400 Appn?

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Jan 21st 2010 at 3:07 am.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 3:13 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

sbu,

My wife listed her traffic ticket here. We wrote to the court clerk of the town where she paid the fine to get a copy of the record for the incident, but she was never asked about it. When the offense is minor (I'd have to go through the N-400 information to remind myself what defines 'minor') it's not an issue, but we felt it was appropriate to give the information and let CIS make the determination.

Regards, JEff

But here's another question I am grappling with:

16. Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer (including USCIS or former INS and military officers) for any reason?

I received a traffic ticket one time for which I paid the fine and went to traffic school, so as far as I know it is not on my DMV record. My car insurance told me I have a perfect driving record.

Should I still mention this in my N-400 by answering Yes to Question 16??
Old Jan 21st 2010, 5:40 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't find it anywhere to send in 5 yrs tax returns (based on 5 yrs PR) but as Rete says sending in 5 yrs tax returns is a good example of good moral character. So I will send them in, overkill is better when dealing with USCIS!!
I wouldn't send them in: there's really no reason to do it. I can't see how five years of tax returns demonstrates good character unless you have previous instances of tax problems. Of course, if you HAVE been a bad boy in the past with the IRS, that's a different matter.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

sonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud of

I was late in filing in 07 and 08, but I filed nevertheless. I do have an instalment agreement with IRS for those 2 years and am paying on it. Filing Status is MFJ. This brings up another question:

In the N-400, part 10, Question 5 asks: Do you owe any Federal, State or local taxes that are overdue?

Does the fact I have an instalment agreement make the previous taxes overdue or current? I am a little confused on this.

Should I answer Yes or No to this question given the above situation?? (I have posted this earlier in the forum, but I want more thougths expressed, if I could)

Sonny
Old Jan 21st 2010, 6:52 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I was late in filing in 07 and 08, but I filed nevertheless. I do have an instalment agreement with IRS for those 2 years and am paying on it. Filing Status is MFJ. This brings up another question:

In the N-400, part 10, Question 5 asks: Do you owe any Federal, State or local taxes that are overdue?

Does the fact I have an instalment agreement make the previous taxes overdue or current? I am a little confused on this.

Should I answer Yes or No to this question given the above situation?? (I have posted this earlier in the forum, but I want more thougths expressed, if I could)

Sonny
No, you don't have anything overdue. You're making payments (and I assume are current on your payments) on a pre-arranged payment plan that IRS agrees to.

Rene
Old Jan 21st 2010, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

sonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Noorah101
No, you don't have anything overdue. You're making payments (and I assume are current on your payments) on a pre-arranged payment plan that IRS agrees to.

Rene
Yes, I am current on payments. I am just curious, at what point would they be 'overdue' or atleast according to USCIS? Any idea?
Old Jan 21st 2010, 7:34 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I am current on payments. I am just curious, at what point would they be 'overdue' or atleast according to USCIS? Any idea?
Just my layman's opinion, but I'd say they'd be "overdue" if you missed the payment deadline for any arranged payments.

Rene
Old Jan 21st 2010, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

Noorah: This is bringing up another question, I dont know if I am overthinking this or what.

Here's my thought. The Guide says on page 2 that "if you have any federal, state or local taxes that are overdue, send:

1. A signed agrmnt with IRS...showing that you have filed a tax return and arranged to pay the taxes you owe and

2. Documentation from the IRS...showing the current status of your repayment program.

I have an agmnt with IRS, on #2 I can get a statement from IRS showing I'm current.

Here's my thought: Does the fact that I have an instalment agrmnt with IRS itself mean that I am technically 'overdue'? (this is the sense I'm getting from the Guide)

Also, if I answer 'NO' to Questions 4 and 5, how would I tell USCIS that I even have an agrmnt with IRS for previous years? Am I making sense?

Sonny
Old Jan 21st 2010, 7:55 am

Am I making sense?
You are making sense, but unfortunately I don't know any of those answers. Maybe someone will come along who has direct experience.

Rene
Old Jan 21st 2010, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Noorah, thanks. Let me start a new thread and see what happens. This question been boggling my mind quite a bit.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 8:54 am

sbusa,

Similar to the traffic ticket issue, I would answer the question 'yes' and explain, letting CIS make the determination. I think you're fine in that while you do owe the IRS money the issue has been resolved with the agreed on payment plan. (I had one of those once myself.)

Better to give the potentially damaging info when such info is asked for and have CIS say 'no problem' than to not give and have them find it themselves and possibly decide that it is a problem. (Note that this is not the same thing as offering info that's not asked for.)

Regards, JEff

Sonny
Old Jan 21st 2010, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Jeffrey: Thanks. This helps.

This makes me to conclude that I'm better off answering YES to if I am overdue. But I am still not sure whether I should yes or no to if I ever failed to file taxes?

May be should I answer YES to being overdue and NO to ever failed to file taxes?? or just say YES to both and let them no say "NO PROBLEM"
Old Jan 21st 2010, 9:15 am

I haven't read enough of your posts to know whether or not you've ever failed to file, but for the year(s) that you have the agreement to pay the taxes that you owe you must have filed a tax return.

You couldn't have an agreement to pay if there wasn't a return on which to base the amount owed?

Regards, JEff

Jeffrey: Thanks. This helps.

This makes me to conclude that I'm better off answering YES to if I am overdue. But I am still not sure whether I should yes or no to if I ever failed to file taxes?

May be should I answer YES to being overdue and NO to ever failed to file taxes?? or just say YES to both and let them no say "NO PROBLEM"
Old Jan 21st 2010, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
I haven't read enough of your posts to know whether or not you've ever failed to file, but for the year(s) that you have the agreement to pay the taxes that you owe you must have filed a tax return.

You couldn't have an agreement to pay if there wasn't a return on which to base the amount owed?

Regards, JEff
I have filed taxes for every year I have lived in the US (last 8), just not on time (not exactly on or before Apr.15), that is all. In that sense, I have never failed to file. Can you see where I'm coming from on this now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.