Wikiposts

5 years of taxes??

Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

sonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud of
Default 5 years of taxes??

I am getting ready with N-400 Appn, am filing based on 5 years of Permanent Residency. Do I need to send in IRS certified copies of last 5 years tax returns now along with the N-400 Appn?

Appreciate your response.

Sonnyboy
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:30 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 years of taxes??

Originally Posted by sonnyboyusa
I am getting ready with N-400 Appn, am filing based on 5 years of Permanent Residency. Do I need to send in IRS certified copies of last 5 years tax returns now along with the N-400 Appn?

Appreciate your response.

Sonnyboy
You don't need to send certified copies. You can get IRS transcripts for free by calling IRS. Yes, include all 5 years with your N-400.

Rene
Old Jan 20th 2010, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

sonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud of

Noorah: Thanks. I respect your comment and will include the 5 yrs taxes. I am just curious, do you know where it says either in N-400 Guide (or anywhere else may be) that the 5yrs tax returns need to be sent in?

Reason I am asking is I couldn't find it.

Sonny
Old Jan 20th 2010, 4:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Noorah: Thanks. I respect your comment and will include the 5 yrs taxes. I am just curious, do you know where it says either in N-400 Guide (or anywhere else may be) that the 5yrs tax returns need to be sent in?

Sonny
Form M-477 (which I believe is the USCIS Guide to Naturalization). There is a section called "Document Checklist".

Ah, upon further scrutiny, I see that item 4 which says to include "an IRS tax return transcript for the last three years" is under the heading of "If you are applying for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a U.S. Citizen".

Perhaps if you're NOT basing it on marriage to a USC, but on 5 years as a PR, you don't have to send tax returns. I'm not sure on that one, now.

But I'd send them anyway, as they are an indication of 5 years of good moral character.

Rene
Old Jan 20th 2010, 4:50 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Y'know what: I can't find it either. If you are applying on the basis of marriage, this form says to send three year of tax returns.

That page, which is the "Document Checklist for Form N-400" only references tax returns in the context of naturalization on the basis of marriage to a USC. Therefore, unless anyone can come up with chapter and verse, it looks like the OP does not need to send tax returns.

Edited to add: dammit, Rene, you just beat me!
Old Jan 20th 2010, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your research and replies. You expressed my thoughts exactly:-)

I couldn't find it anywhere to send in 5 yrs tax returns (based on 5 yrs PR) but as Rete says sending in 5 yrs tax returns is a good example of good moral character. So I will send them in, overkill is better when dealing with USCIS!!

But here's another question I am grappling with:

16. Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer (including USCIS or former INS and military officers) for any reason?

I received a traffic ticket one time for which I paid the fine and went to traffic school, so as far as I know it is not on my DMV record. My car insurance told me I have a perfect driving record.

Should I still mention this in my N-400 by answering Yes to Question 16??

Sonny
Old Jan 20th 2010, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=nettlebed;8268423]Y'know what: I can't find it either. If you are applying on the basis of marriage, this form says to send three year of tax returns.

Therefore, unless anyone can come up with chapter and verse, it looks like the OP does not need to send tax returns.

Nettlebed, what is "OP"?
Old Jan 20th 2010, 5:06 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Nettlebed, what is "OP"?
Original Poster == person who started the thread.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

OK, got it. Do you want to take a jab at my newest quandary (question) above? May be I should start another thread since this is a different subject...
Shocked of Redmond

16. Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer (including USCIS or former INS and military officers) for any reason?

I received a traffic ticket one time for which I paid the fine and went to traffic school, so as far as I know it is not on my DMV record. My car insurance told me I have a perfect driving record.

Should I still mention this in my N-400 by answering Yes to Question 16??

Sonny
Yes, you should. You were cited by a law enforcement officer. So the correct answer is "Yes."

Traffic violations are very small beer. Just bring along records showing that you paid the fine. This is trivial, and nothing to be worried about. It will not cause you a problem.
Shocked of Redmond

OK, got it. Do you want to take a jab at my newest quandary (question) above?
Already done
Old Jan 20th 2010, 5:11 pm
Shocked of Redmond

but as Rete says
You mean Rene

Rete is a different entity altogether (but just as beloved)...
Old Jan 20th 2010, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the fast reply.

Gosh, I don't know if I still have a receipt for that traffic fine I paid years ago. What do I do?
Old Jan 20th 2010, 5:14 pm
Shocked of Redmond

Thanks for the fast reply.

Gosh, I don't know if I still have a receipt for that traffic fine I paid years ago. What do I do?
I'll defer to someone else on this: I have no experience with trivial offenses...
Old Jan 20th 2010, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nettlebed
You mean Rene

Rete is a different entity altogether (but just as beloved)...
Yes, I meant Rene, thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.