Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

5 Minute AOS. What is the I-751 and when do we file it?

Wikiposts

5 Minute AOS. What is the I-751 and when do we file it?

Old May 2nd 2002, 2:10 am
Nikki

Default 5 Minute AOS. What is the I-751 and when do we file it?

Hi,

My husband and I had our AOS interview yesterday and it only took 5 minutes! The
officer only asked for 2 documents (tax forms) and that's
it. Nothing else. He mention that we will need to file an I-751 form, but said to
read about it because it was already late and they needed to go. They also gave
my husband a selective service card when does he fill that out and mail it in?

Thanks, Nicole

Old May 2nd 2002, 2:28 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 Minute AOS. What is the I-751 and when do we file it?

Congratulations. Post your experience on the appropriate page please.

As for your questions ..

1. You will file the I-751 for removal of conditions 90 days before the expiration of the green card. Not one day before or it will be rejected. If you fail to file before the expiration of the green card, you have lost your permanent residency status.

You will need document much the same as you need for the AOS interview, tax returns, photographs, affidavits from friends and family, joint bills, etc. If approved at the service center you will receive a shiny new ten year green card. If not, you will interview at the local INS office (again).

2. Your husband fills out and files the selective service card NOW.
Old May 2nd 2002, 12:10 pm
Mrtravel

nikki wrote:
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > My husband and I had our AOS interview yesterday and it only took 5 minutes! The
    > officer only asked for 2 documents (tax forms) and that's
    > it. Nothing else. He mention that we will need to file an I-751 form, but said to
    > read about it because it was already late and they needed to go.

Go to www.ins.gov and download the I-751 form pdf file. Generally, in 90 days or less
before your green card expires you need to prove to INS that the marriage is valid.
This will require submitting proof of your marriage, including 2 sworn (notarized)
statement from people that know you. A week or 2 after filing, you will get a notice
that extends the current status for 1 year, so they have time to review the case. You
may or may not have to attend an interview.

>They also gave my husband a selective service card when does he fill that out and
    >mail it in?

When he gets permanent resident status. I assume that may have been the day of your
interview.

Old May 2nd 2002, 2:10 pm
Nikki

Rete <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Congratulations. Post your experience on the appropriate page please.
    >
    > As for your questions ..
    >
    > 1. You will file the I-751 for removal of conditions 90 days before the expiration
    > of the green card. Not one day before or it will be rejected. If you fail to
    > file before the expiration of the green card, you have lost your permanent
    > residency status.
    >
    > You will need document much the same as you need for the AOS interview, tax
    > returns, photographs, affidavits from friends and family, joint bills, etc. If
    > approved at the service center you will receive a shiny new ten year green card. If
    > not, you will interview at the local INS office (again).
    >
    > 2. Your husband fills out and files the selective service card NOW.

On the selective service card it says to register if you are between the ages of 18
and 25. My husband is 32 years old. Does he still send it in? Sorry to not know very
much, but the INS officer that did our interview told us to look up any questions we
might have and rushed us out.

Old May 3rd 2002, 6:40 am
Mrtravel

nikki wrote:
    >
    > > 2. Your husband fills out and files the selective service card NOW.
    >
    > On the selective service card it says to register if you are between the ages of 18
    > and 25. My husband is 32 years old. Does he still send it in? Sorry to not know
    > very much, but the INS officer that did our interview told us to look up any
    > questions we might have and rushed us out.

You might have mentioned that in the beginning... Doh.......

Of course he doesn't fill it out.

Old May 3rd 2002, 10:10 am
Nikki

mrtravel <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > nikki wrote:
    > >
    > > > 2. Your husband fills out and files the selective service card NOW.
    > >
    > > On the selective service card it says to register if you are between the ages of
    > > 18 and 25. My husband is 32 years old. Does he still send it in? Sorry to not
    > > know very much, but the INS officer that did our interview told us to look up any
    > > questions we might have and rushed us out.
    >
    > You might have mentioned that in the beginning... Doh.......
    >
    > Of course he doesn't fill it out.

The immigration officer asked my husband his age and birthdate, so he knows he was
over the age that is printed on the card. He just shoved some papers at us and walked
us back downstairs.