Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

3 Months before we start ROC steps

3 Months before we start ROC steps

Old Feb 3rd 2013, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute
Default 3 Months before we start ROC steps

May 31st 2013 our 90 day window opens to apply for ROC.

I know what evidence we need and have everything set to one side to send just going to add a few photos of events and trips we made and a couple of affidavits.

But just need some advice here on one specific question and I may have touched on it previously, but cant remember what details I revealed at the time or the advice given so I apologize for repeating this if that is the case.

The question on the I-751 asks again of criminal history; I already submitted the fact of a Juvenile incident that lead to a conviction which they never questioned me on, so do I need to resubmit this information for the I-751 even though they should have this in my file?

Also further into the question it states unless a traffic violation was drug or alcohol related or if the only penalties were points and a fine of less than $500.... 30 Years ago I had bought my first car under a provisional license and had to get it home, couldn't wait for a full license holder to move it so I did it myself and as it happens I was stopped and I admitted all I had was a provisional license , ( No Insurance, No MOT, No L-Plates and no accompanied driver) will be the entry in the court registry when I get the info back, but not sure what the fine was, my mind seems to think it was around 200 quid which I recall being a lot back then, but could be wrong. If it is over $500 will my application for ROC be in jeopardy? Will I need a legal eagle for this?

I know I will need to get my drivers record from DVLA as I assume this will still be on file, but not active given the 30 year lapse, but as I never surrendered my license when I moved here and in order to get my drivers record will cost me 5 pounds but I need to change my address for a friend to send it onto me, but morally I know I wouldn't be telling the truth to DVLA as it states on the DVLA site that I must be a UK resident to make changes to my license, which I am not, obviously! But I need that drivers record for the exact dates so I can get detailed information on that motoring offense as the archives want to charge me 30 quid per month they search to find it all.

My UK license is linked into my passport and vice versa as this was the norm back in 2008/9 in order to prevent identity theft by the UK border control powers that be.

So my questions are as follows:

1..If my fine was over $500 am i looking at potential problems? Do I need to get a lawyer involved?

2..What year will they base the exchange rate to find the fine value? 1982 or 2013? I only ask this as it could be a close call towards $500 if my original thought of the fine is more.

3..Do I surrender my license and request my record for future reference? Or do I just continue to change my address to my friends address and have my record delivered to him, bare in mind that if we have to move back to the UK, we would be staying there for a short period

4..Do I resend the information about my Juvenile conviction and just add a letter explaining I have sent this previously, but just sending it to them again?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 3:08 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 Months before we start ROC steps

You can't review your own posts? There's a handy link that will take you to them.
Originally Posted by Wolfy
But just need some advice here on one specific question and I may have touched on it previously, but cant remember what details I revealed at the time or the advice given so I apologize for repeating this if that is the case.
Answer the questions that are asked and provide the supporting documentation that is required. Do not assume anything.
The question on the I-751 asks again of criminal history; I already submitted the fact of a Juvenile incident that lead to a conviction which they never questioned me on, so do I need to resubmit this information for the I-751 even though they should have this in my file?
Regards, JEff
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
You can't review your own posts? There's a handy link that will take you to them.

Answer the questions that are asked and provide the supporting documentation that is required. Do not assume anything.

Regards, JEff
Thanks Jeff, I did that, but didnt find anything relating to this question, perhaps I was imagining or thinking it through before I came on here, but didnt get round to typing it so I am adding to what I may have already asked expanding the query as it were.

Last edited by Wolfy; Feb 3rd 2013 at 3:47 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 8:56 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I already submitted the fact of a Juvenile incident that lead to a conviction which they never questioned me on, so do I need to resubmit this information for the I-751...
Yes.

If it is over $500 will my application for ROC be in jeopardy?
No, it won't be in jeopardy, but you will need documentation. On 11/16/85 (the earliest date xe.com will allow), £200 comes to about $315... so well under the $500 limit. I doubt the market was much more volatile than that a few years earlier. It looks to me that you are well under the limit where documentation is required.

I know I will need to get my drivers record from DVLA...
Why on earth? Declare the incident and move on.

Personally, I think you're trying to make an issue out of something that is essentially a non-issue.

Ian
Old Feb 5th 2013, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: 3 Months before we start ROC steps

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
No, it won't be in jeopardy, but you will need documentation. On 11/16/85 (the earliest date xe.com will allow), £200 comes to about $315... so well under the $500 limit. I doubt the market was much more volatile than that a few years earlier. It looks to me that you are well under the limit where documentation is required.
oanda.com has historical rates for 1982 and the worst rate was $1.9260/£1 on 5th Jan so OP should be fine.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just wanted to update this for anyone else who was or may be interested in the facts surrounding my personal case.

Now many of you know that, YES I do worry over things like this and YES I intend to declare it on my I-751, but as there is no paper trail for it I can not submit or say to USCIS exactly how much it was even if was close to the $500 or not.

So!

I contacted DVLA to obtain my drivers record and it has nothing on it relating to my 32 year old motoring offence never mind the last 2 speeding penalties and points from 1997 and 2001.

I continued to obtain documentation through the Magistrates courts where the hearing was held, but was told that they would not have any information going back to that year and that I should call the compliance section of the counties police department where they will be able to give me the exact date so that I could call another department to pay in advance for the MOC and the courts would fax it to me.

They said they have no information going back that far and the best they could do to help me with an official letter would be for me to pay 10 pounds for my SAR (Subject Access Report) other than that, they could not help me, but as I had already done this prior to obtaining my official police certificate, I do not see the point of doing it again.

So I just missed the courts by seconds to let them know that the compliance section could not help and have no information and see if they can still issue an MOC even if they can not give fine amounts, points details, but feel they will still charge me for the full extract as they did for my Juvenile report 2 1/2 years ago which was 60 pounds.

We should have a definitive answer before we file the I-751 at the end of May from the courts at least.... As for whether USCIS will still issue an RFE for something that can not be traced/located despite the fact of an MOC explaining this is another question!