British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   2yr Condition GC extension Expiry (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/2yr-condition-gc-extension-expiry-935766/)

Mangaboy84 Nov 18th 2020 10:57 pm

2yr Condition GC extension Expiry

So my 18month Extension letter I got expires around the end of the year (based on my DL date). When it does expire i wont be able to renew my drivers license but since our state has suspended the expiry for the moment that's not a major issue.

Should I wait for another extension letter for removing conditions (was waiting for an interview date but that went quiet) or should i set up an ipass to get my passport stamped?

Currently awaiting interview for I-751 and Bio-metrics for N-400.

Rete Nov 19th 2020 3:28 am

Re: 2yr Condition GC extension Expiry

Do not wait. Make a call to the USCIS at the first opportunity and ask for another extension letter or where you might be able to go to get another I-551 in your passport.

newacct Nov 19th 2020 4:21 am

Originally Posted by Mangaboy84 (Post 12937255)
So my 18month Extension letter I got expires around the end of the year (based on my DL date). When it does expire i wont be able to renew my drivers license but since our state has suspended the expiry for the moment that's not a major issue.

Should I wait for another extension letter for removing conditions (was waiting for an interview date but that went quiet) or should i set up an ipass to get my passport stamped?

If you want proof of permanent residency, you need to get an InfoPass appointment to get an I-551 stamp.

You remain in permanent resident status for as long as your I-751 is pending, regardless of whether you have an I-551 or a valid green card or extension letter. Getting the I-551 stamp is just for you to have proof of it.

Chins Nov 22nd 2020 1:07 am

Originally Posted by Mangaboy84 (Post 12937255)

Sorry if a silly question, but surely you had Bio metrics for your I-751, so why another appointment ?

What is your online message on your I-751 status ?

looks like more chance of Trump getting a recount in his favor than I-751’s getting sorted😎

Chins Nov 22nd 2020 1:16 am

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12937293)
Do not wait. Make a call to the USCIS at the first opportunity and ask for another extension letter or where you might be able to go to get another I-551 in your passport.

In the current climate how realistic is it for anything to happen ? You need to pay someone to stand in line at the DMV/MVC just to sort a drivers license at the moment. I am worried that as my extension letter expires I need to do a few trips to Europe.

Noorah101 Nov 22nd 2020 1:41 am

Originally Posted by Chins (Post 12938306)
In the current climate how realistic is it for anything to happen ? You need to pay someone to stand in line at the DMV/MVC just to sort a drivers license at the moment. I am worried that as my extension letter expires I need to do a few trips to Europe.

If you need to travel, you can get an I-551 stamp in your passport.

Rene

Chins Nov 22nd 2020 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 12938312)
If you need to travel, you can get an I-551 stamp in your passport.

Rene

So how far prior to I751 expiring should I ask ? You can’t walk in or make appointments here on line in NJ. When I asked USCIS about getting an I-551 before they refused as I had an I751.

Noorah101 Nov 22nd 2020 3:13 pm

I would say to try and get the stamp a month or so before your extension letter expires. But if you can't walk in or make an InfoPass appointment, then you can't get the stamp. If the USCIS office is closed due to COVID, maybe they will automatically send you another extension letter.

Rene

Chins Nov 22nd 2020 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 12938444)
I would say to try and get the stamp a month or so before your extension letter expires. But if you can't walk in or make an InfoPass appointment, then you can't get the stamp. If the USCIS office is closed due to COVID, maybe they will automatically send you another extension letter.

Rene

They started to make it tough to get an infopass appointment in NJ in 2018, so maybe even worse due to COVID. It will be interesting to see if the OP gets an extension letter in the next few weeks.

Mangaboy84 Nov 22nd 2020 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Chins (Post 12938304)
Sorry if a silly question, but surely you had Bio metrics for your I-751, so why another appointment ?

I believe they do that for all applications so they can verify my identity with a fingerprint scan and images.

Originally Posted by Chins (Post 12938304)
What is your online message on your I-751 status ?

"Ready for interview, we will notify you" but since im in Chicago i doubt that will happen any time soon and that current status was around April 2020.

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12937293)

Took your advice and called the contact center (pretty quick call actually, hardly had to wait) but i have to wait for an Immigration officer to call back to approve an infopass appointment. So I will update if i get an infopass appointment or another extension letter. I checked our Secretary of state dmv afterwards and found out they had extended expired Driver licenses until June 2021 so unless i need to travel, not a big issue as such at present

Originally Posted by Chins (Post 12938306)
I am worried that as my extension letter expires I need to do a few trips to Europe.

I think Europe is still banning American travelers due to covid so not sure you'll be able to take trips still unless your letter expires sometime in 2022 and i don't see a change in administration as likely to ease travel restrictions yet coming into Europe.

notaclue Nov 23rd 2020 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Mangaboy84 (Post 12938551)
I think Europe is still banning American travelers due to covid so not sure you'll be able to take trips still unless your letter expires sometime in 2022 and i don't see a change in administration as likely to ease travel restrictions yet coming into Europe.

Not if he is a UKC?

Chins Nov 23rd 2020 10:42 pm

The actual ban is UKC travelling to the USA. "US citizens and permanent residents of the USA, certain specified close family members and certain other limited categories of visas holders (such as UN staff and diplomats) are exempt. They will still be able to enter the USA, subject to normal entry requirements"
I am ok as a PR.
The UK isn't banning people but making them isolate for 14 days. There is a nice lengthy form to fill in. I keep hoping they are going to allow testing after 5 days to days. So USC can travel to the best of my knowledge.

Rete Nov 24th 2020 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Chins (Post 12938490)
They started to make it tough to get an infopass appointment in NJ in 2018, so maybe even worse due to COVID. It will be interesting to see if the OP gets an extension letter in the next few weeks.

You might be able to get the stamp at the airport in Newark.

Mangaboy84 Dec 10th 2020 7:42 pm

So just to update, i had my appointment this morning at the Chicago federal building, cleared security and checked in. Spoke to a nice lady about the pending cases and had a 12 month I-551 stamp added to my passport. Just to note to any future people that go, they are collecting the old green cards and keeping them. She did provide a photocopy scan of the card and just said if anyone asks for it to tell them it was surrendered at the infopass appointment.

With regards to getting the appointment, it was fairly quick. i didn't spend too long on the phone waiting to talk and i just had to wait a few days for them to call back to ask the usual covid related questions and set the appointment date. Remember to print off your letter and don't arrive more than 15mins before the appointment time since they wont let you into the building. Walked in and cleared security and straight to reception and smooth sailing from their.

Of course the only snag is I have to technically carry around my passport now instead of the old card and letter but since i didn't really always have the letter on me, its hardly a big deal in the scheme of things. Now it just a waiting gaming for appointments. Nothing really in their system other than I'm in the queue for interview appointments and bio-metrics. the lady thought maybe they would just reuse my last bio-metrics information for the N-400 but I'm not so sure so i'll keep a look out for that notice. Also mentioned they might do the interview for removing conditions and the naturalization interview at the same time i guess to save time and money.

Took longer to drive into Chicago than actually being in the building dealing with it so im happy for another 12months.

Chins Dec 11th 2020 9:57 am

Thanks for the detailed response. I will try and do the same in the new year.