Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

2016 New application for I-130 Questions!

Wikiposts

2016 New application for I-130 Questions!

Old Mar 14th 2016, 11:27 pm
Just Joined

mb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud of
Default 2016 New application for I-130 Questions!

Hello,

I'm hoping that someone can give me some information/tips on the following. I am marrying my British husband on March 24th 2016 and will then file for I-130 from the USA London embassy. I am and American citizen and also hold dual citizenship with Spain, we have been together since 2010 and have a 3 year old together. I have been living and working in London since 2008. Our goal is to move to the states as soon as possible and reading on the USA london embassy it states to apply 10 months before intended move to the states. Here are a couple of my questions:

1: Should I also Apply for a K-3 Visa and will this make the process faster?
2: Can anyone tell me if there is any way to find out how long the I-130 and or the K-3 will take?
3: In regards to the Affidavit I-864 - I have worked in London since 2008 and that is where my income is ( I make more than the 3x poverty line for our family of 3) but this income is London not the states. Is it based on what I make in the states? The reason why I'm asking is because I don't have a job lined up as of yet in the states, I do however own a condo but their is no positive equity in there at the moment. Does this mean I will need to have a family member also sign and vouch for my husband (My sister lives in the states and earns enough money to support the application and is willing to help out but I would rather not involve her into our application if I can avoid it)

I know it's a lot of questions and very specific, any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!!
Old Mar 15th 2016, 1:02 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2016 New application for I-130 Questions!

1. The K3 is outdated and is not applicable in your case. You are already doing the fastest process possible.

2. Through filing in London directly, it should take 4 to 6 months total from filing I-130 to getting visa in hand.

3. The income must be US based. Sounds like you don't have assets either, which means you'll need a joint sponsor. The joint sponsor does not have to be a family member.

Rene
Old Mar 15th 2016, 1:59 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2016 New application for I-130 Questions!

I agree with everything Rene has written. The K-3 is a waste of time, it'll take about 6 months to get the visa, and you'll need a joint sponsor to support your husband's visa application.

Further - you might want to consider become a UK citizen before you leave!

Also, on the assumption that you were able to pass US citizenship to your child at birth, the child will need a US passport in order to enter the US.

Ian