1-693 - help?

Old May 11th 2011, 7:27 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1-693 - help?

I hope you are right. In fact, I'm usually the one making the point that DS-3025 should be sufficient when this topic comes up. And I agree, I haven't read as many reports recently about RFEs for I-693 as I used to. What I don't know is if it's because the USCIS file clerks are now better trained or if it's because most applicants are getting the I-693 to be safe.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Moxie
I really and truly believe what I wrote above is true and not just an oversight where a couple of people got lucky.
Old May 11th 2011, 9:59 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I agree there were problems when the contactor company that opens the AOS files changed. USCIS awarded a new contract and brought in totally new people who wrote new software to click through their preparation process ( I don't know what else to call it. ) All of the sudden RFEs were coming left and right to K1s that applied for AOS, mostly starting in November of 2009. The RFEs were very vague too. I communicated with the USCIS, the contractor company main office, and my Congressman Ron Paul who used to be my OB/Gyn before politics. I thought being a doctor , the immigrant medical might be something he would take a more personal interest in. I believed that the new contactors didn't understand that K1s had to have their A-file ordered to find their medical records. It was like they opened the envelope and if there wasn't an I-693, they sent an RFE saying to get a medical exam. It took a number of months, but that little glitch seemed to get resolved.

I really and truly believe what I wrote above is true and not just an oversight where a couple of people got lucky. I get messages from people often telling me they got their greencard without RFE or I-693.

Example from April (last month)
Wanted to thank you for your world of information about all of this AOS stuff. You were correct and we made it through with out having to have his shot record transcribed. The DS thingy was just fine as we did receive his green card with out a interview or a RFE. Really do appreciate your help.
Nobody has to follow my advice, but I wouldn't offer it if I hadn't researched it to death and if I wasn't sure it was correct. As always, it's up to each applicant to choose their path.
I very much appreciate this updated information. I stopped paying attention in detail some time ago, around the time you say this contractor change happened.

If you have any thoughts on adding this post to the pinned thread, or a way to re-write (or eliminate!) that thread, I'm all for it an welcome your participation.
This K-AOS medical business is one of the things that gets my blood pressure up.
Old May 12th 2011, 5:08 am
Account Closed

bivlover is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm torn. Just can't decide. The cheapest medical I can get round here is $150 (none of the doctors will write on the forms without charging me for a medical, so this business about not needing a medical if you had one abroad just doesn't work in practice). That price is if I go to someone who doesn't even speak my language.
I really want to believe everything Moxie is saying, but it does kind of contradict what it says on the USCIS instructions. I hate it when things have hidden costs, especially when the "thing" itself costs loads as it is. It wouldn't be an issue if you could get the medical done for $30 or something.

*continues to read these threads with interest*
Old May 12th 2011, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Braveheart87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know of a working link for a current I-130, the uscis link isn't working and all other copies I could find are at least 5 years old - can they still be accepted?

I called around yesterday to see how much it would be for a civil surgeon to fill out the I-693 (excluding medical exam) and was given prices from $20 (pittsburgh, pa), to $130 (state college, pa) - now trying to find out NY prices as we may just take care of it while on honeymoon - oh how visas take the romance out of everything!!!
Old May 12th 2011, 2:46 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

My good buddy Mr.Google provides a working link to the current I-130, as well as to the I-130 summary information page where it says,
"USCIS continues to accept the 11/23/10 edition of Form I-130, despite the passing of the form's expiration date."

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Braveheart87
Does anyone know of a working link for a current I-130, the uscis link isn't working and all other copies I could find are at least 5 years old - can they still be accepted?
Old May 12th 2011, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bivlover
I'm torn. Just can't decide. The cheapest medical I can get round here is $150 (none of the doctors will write on the forms without charging me for a medical, so this business about not needing a medical if you had one abroad just doesn't work in practice). That price is if I go to someone who doesn't even speak my language.
I really want to believe everything Moxie is saying, but it does kind of contradict what it says on the USCIS instructions. I hate it when things have hidden costs, especially when the "thing" itself costs loads as it is. It wouldn't be an issue if you could get the medical done for $30 or something.

*continues to read these threads with interest*
That is exactly why I try to tell people before their visa medical at Knightsbridge to get it recorded on the DS-3025 and be done. It's the charges the bloody civil surgeons try to impose. I've read hundreds of this same story about civil surgeons who refuse to do only the immunuzations. Or there's braveheart who spent all day calling around and found a cheap one. Some people call 10 and none will do it for less than $100.

My thoughts about delays--How long will it take to find a civil surgeon and get an appointment. Did you know many want to give you a TB skin test and you go back 3 days later? More $$. Will they look at your shots on the DS-3025 and say enough time has passed so they want to give you second doses? More $$. Do you live in a small town and have to drive a couple of hours to get to one? If these delays keep you from filing earlier, then a delay on the front end is like a delay in the middle (RFE) as far as getting to the finish line.

What if you paid $75 to get your vaccinations copied, then USCIS can't find your medical records? So you go back to the CS and pay again for the whole medical exam.

Or if your DS-3025 is in order, "complete" with ALL the four points I posted, you file with no extra time and money spent. If they lose your medical exam, then you go the CS route. If your shots were up to date on the day of your medical exam, you're good. No second doses. If you do an I-693, that becomes the date of record and it doesn't matter what the DS-3025 says, so if the CS wants more doses you do it.

So have you two looked at your DS-3025 to determine if you have all the points covered?

Knightsbridge is very good about filling the form out properly. Canadians were gettting RFEs with their DS-3025s because the doctor in Montreal wasn't putting his signature on the form.--FAIL
Old Sep 16th 2011, 2:38 pm
Account Closed

bivlover is an unknown quantity at this point

Well it worked for me just like Moxie said. I did not see any physician in the US, nor did I submit the i-693; I just sent a photocopy of my vaccine record from the Knightsbridge medical. AOS approved, no RFE. Thanks Moxie for your advice, you saved me all that cash!
Old Sep 16th 2011, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bivlover
Well it worked for me just like Moxie said. I did not see any physician in the US, nor did I submit the i-693; I just sent a photocopy of my vaccine record from the Knightsbridge medical. AOS approved, no RFE. Thanks Moxie for your advice, you saved me all that cash!
Yay bivlover. Yay me. I really believe it or wouldn't post it.

Glad you got your GC and saved some money too. Thanks for the follow up.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

mikaela_jan is an unknown quantity at this point

The USCIS will accept a DS-3025 as complete without doing an I-693. For the nit-pickers, I'm writing about people who made the effort to get up to date before leaving the UK. We all know a K1 visa can be issued without any shots, but AOS won't be granted without them.

Look at your DS-3025. If it has the ALL of the following items, you don't need an I-693 (Adults 19-49 yrs old).

1. Shots marked with a date (at least one of a series)
  • MMR
  • Td or Tdap or DT or DTP or DtaP (One no longer than 10 years ago, ie.have a booster)
  • Varicella or VH written by it if you had chickenpox
  • Influenza **see note below because you are most likely okay without it.
2. Everything else marked not age appropriate

3. RESULTS section filled in with "incomplete" and "may be eligible for blanket waiver" ticked.

4. Signed and dated by the doctor

If it's not completed like that then see a civil surgeon for the I-693. If it is complete, send a photocopy of your DS-3025.

The USCIS is supposed to have your K1 medical files, but sometimes lose them or fail to match them up with your AOS. Do not get another exam unless you get an RFE that says they do not have results of your medical. It means they lost them, but you are probably stuck with paying for a new exam. Those kinds of RFE's are not about the immunizations or the form I-693; they are because USCIS failed to match up your other medical exam results with your AOS application.

**Note on flu shot: Flu shots are required for adults of all ages (changed Nov 2010) if your UK exam was between (Oct 1 and March 31). But if the AOS adjudicator picks up your case when it is not flu season, you will be excused. And the reverse is true. The adjudicator picks up your case during flu season, but sees it was NOT flu season when you had your medical exam, you are also excused because the date they go by is the date of your exam to determine if you were current on that date. Keep in mind that if you go to a civil surgeon for an I-693, then you are resetting the medical exam date for immunizations and you may have to get second doses of shots or a flu shot to become current on your new immunization date of record.

Hi Moxie, thanks for this info. I was about to send my AOS package only for me to find out i have a vaccine history incomplete result in DS 3025. I am so confused now whether to go to CS, or just send it. I dont know what it means by incomplete, but i thought, it might be because I need an MMR booster. I had one already a month after my medical exam in Knightbridge, so I am thinking I might just attach the certification to DS 3025.

What do you think? Pls do help me.. Thanks a lot
Old Jun 27th 2012, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just saw this after I answered in the other thread.