Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

[Urgent] Consular Interview Next Week - Feeling very lost. HELP!

[Urgent] Consular Interview Next Week - Feeling very lost. HELP!

Old Apr 4th 2017, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: [Urgent] Consular Interview Next Week - Feeling very lost. HELP!

Originally Posted by lenswipe
Pugilation:
I have a letter from the embassy saying "Dear <name> US Embassy London is pleased to inform you that we have recieved an approved petition...." etc. etc. is that the "Confirmation Letter" people speak of that I have to take with me?
Yes, take this with you.

I will bring my documentation from the medical exam, however - I'm planning to fully satisfy the vaccination requirements when doing the adjustment of status in the USA later on...
Not the most cost affective route, but nothing you can do now.

How does this sound for documentation?

Documentation Listed Online
  • 1 x Passport
  • 1 x Certified Copy of Birth Certificate (and photocopy)
  • 1 x Letter from NVC to fiancee telling her that they'd approved my petition and would contact me
  • 1 x I-129F Petition and covering letter about the petition being approved (and photocopies)
  • 1 x Police Certificate (and photocopy)
  • 1 x I-134 Affidavit of Support
  • 1 x I-863 Affidavit of Support

Extras
  • 4 x Passport Photos (I pressed the "US Visa" button on the PhotoMe booth
  • Boardnig cards and documentation in the last 2 years of me meeting up with her
  • 10 x photos of her and me with my brother's family and my parents
  • 1 x DS-160 confirimation page (and photocopy)
  • 1x Email from her (might grab more if I can pick out some good ones)
  • Assorted cards from her with addresse
Did you mean I-864? If so, that isn't required right now. You only need the I-134.

Some points:
  • Make sure you take supporting evidence for the I-134 (e.g. tax transcript)!
  • Take any of the payment and courier receipts from when you booked online. I was asked for this.
  • Have everything organized where you can quickly retrieve things when asked.

One thing that is a bit of a concern is that I don't have any proof of our ongoing relationship that covers the period between the approval of the I-129F and now(as I've seen mentioned on the wiki) due to work commitments (we see each other every 6 months or so and it was approved in January...). However(as I mentioned above), I do have proof dating all the way back to 2012.

To say I'm "on edge" right now would be an understatement
Honestly, proof of an ongoing relationship will likely not come up. The interview will be over before you know it and you'll be booking your flight to the USA. This was my experience and trust me it was a anti-climax. http://britishexpats.com/forum/marri.../#post12022239
Old Apr 4th 2017, 10:15 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have any proof of our ongoing relationship that covers the period between the approval of the I-129F and now...
There's no requirement to demonstrate an ongoing relationship. Don't confuse something that might be a good idea with something that's required. This isn't required.

Ian
Old Apr 5th 2017, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

lenswipe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tom169
Yes, take this with you.

Not the most cost effective route, but nothing you can do now.
I'm planning to try and get this done in the time window between me finishing working out my notice at my job and actually flying to the USA. If there isn't time, I'll just get it done there, but I'll have a few weeks hopefully...

Did you mean I-864? If so, that isn't required right now. You only need the I-134.
I have both. The immigration lawyer sent me a huge wad of financial documents with my SO's tax returns and stuff in too.

• Make sure you take supporting evidence for the I-134 (e.g. tax transcript)!
  • Take any of the payment and courier receipts from when you booked online. I was asked for this.
  • Have everything organized where you can quickly retrieve things when asked.
  • Is a tax return like a tax transcript? Do I have to care, or do I just hand a bunch of financial documents over?
  • Are they not on the same confirmation email? Also, this (other than the I-195F or whatever it's called) and the DS-160 confirmation are the only confirmations I have.
  • Yep. Got a ring binder with lots of plastic pockets in

Honestly, proof of an ongoing relationship will likely not come up. The interview will be over before you know it and you'll be booking your flight to the USA. This was my experience and trust me it was a anti-climax. http://britishexpats.com/forum/marri.../#post12022239
Originally Posted by ian-mstm
There's no requirement to demonstrate an ongoing relationship. Don't confuse something that might be a good idea with something that's required. This isn't required.

Ian
Yeah, you're both probably right. I did manage to find a valentine card from this year and a receipt from flowers I sent her for valentines so I might print those and take those along
Old Apr 5th 2017, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm planning to try and get this done in the time window between me finishing working out my notice at my job and actually flying to the USA. If there isn't time, I'll just get it done there, but I'll have a few weeks hopefully...
You will still need a civil surgeon regardless of if the vaccination(s) are done in the UK or USA. I'm not sure on the price, but I can't see it being cheap. Anyway, as for getting your K-1 it is a non issue.

I have both. The immigration lawyer sent me a huge wad of financial documents with my SO's tax returns and stuff in too.
You don't need I-864 right now or at the interview. Save it for the adjustment of status.

Is a tax return like a tax transcript? Do I have to care, or do I just hand a bunch of financial documents over?
I'm not sure what you have in your "bunch of financial documents". You just need to provide proof that backs up the I-134's claims.

Are they not on the same confirmation email? Also, this (other than the I-195F or whatever it's called) and the DS-160 confirmation are the only confirmations I have.
I believe I printed out the receipt from the same website you book on and took this in addition to the instructions also printed out from the website.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 12:54 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Is a tax return like a tax transcript?
Sort of. The official IRS tax transcript is a condensed version of the entire tax return.

Do I have to care, or do I just hand a bunch of financial documents over?
You should be familiar with what you're handing over, yes. For the I-134, you need your USC fiancee's most recent 3 years of tax returns or tax transcripts, plus proof of current income (a few recent pay stubs or letter from employer on company letterhead stating salary, title, and that it's full time or part time). If using assets, proof of assets.

As others have said, take the I-864 and supporting documents out of the equation completely for now. You don't need any of that until AOS.

Rene
Old Apr 6th 2017, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Sort of. The official IRS tax transcript is a condensed version of the entire tax return.

You should be familiar with what you're handing over, yes. For the I-134, you need your USC fiancee's most recent 3 years of tax returns or tax transcripts, plus proof of current income (a few recent pay stubs or letter from employer on company letterhead stating salary, title, and that it's full time or part time). If using assets, proof of assets.
Rene
I don't have the last 3 years - only 2016. My immigration lawyer said I'd only need that so she just sent the 2016 ones to me.

Nothing I can do about it now, but if for any reason that's not acceptable and they need more, will they just delay issuing the visa until I've mailed them the required documents?

My interview is tomorrow. Wish me luck!
Old Apr 6th 2017, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

I don't have the last 3 years - only 2016. My immigration lawyer said I'd only need that so she just sent the 2016 ones to me.

Nothing I can do about it now, but if for any reason that's not acceptable and they need more, will they just delay issuing the visa until I've mailed them the required documents?

My interview is tomorrow. Wish me luck!
It's likely they'll just ask for the latest one. Worst case is they'll delay issuing the visa until you can get it to them.

Good luck and be sure to let us know the news!
Old Apr 6th 2017, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

It's likely they'll just ask for the latest one. Worst case is they'll delay issuing the visa until you can get it to them.
Yeah, so the worst case is they'll just say "We're not issuing you a visa yet...but give us $documents and we will" and then I'll get my visa when I mail them the documents they want? Presumably I wouldn't have to go back down with that - I could just mail it to them via like recorded delivery or something, right?

Good luck and be sure to let us know the news!
Thanks. I certainly will.
Old Apr 6th 2017, 12:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

My immigration lawyer said I'd only need that so she just sent the 2016 ones to me.
My guess is that your immigration lawyer hasn't actually ever been through the immigration process personally. It's the difference between what should happen vs what actually happens. You're only required to show one year's worth of tax returns... but the officer can ask for more if he wants - and there's nothing you can do about it if that happens.

... and then I'll get my visa when I mail them the documents they want?
Correct.

I could just mail it to them via like recorded delivery or something, right?
Correct.

Ian
Old Apr 6th 2017, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
My guess is that your immigration lawyer hasn't actually ever been through the immigration process personally.
Actually she has. She's Brazilian.
Old Apr 6th 2017, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

One more thing is that i gather you can't take certain things into the embassy.

Ill have a backpack and phone and tablet with me. Which (if any) of those are allowed? I checked the embassy website but it just says no large bags. They seem to be okay with phones and tablets though...
Old Apr 6th 2017, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

Guys...

I just got home from work today to find this letter waiting for me dated 31st March. I am freaking out

"Dear [my name]:

We refer to our communication concerning the receipt of an approved petition according you(sic) status as a fiance (e) of a United States citizen.

As of this date we have had no reply from you. Please inform us within sixty days whether you intend to proceed with an approved application for a non-immigrant visa to marry and reside in the United States. We would appreciate a response even if you wish to abandon the application.

Sincerely,

Chief, Immigrant Visa Branch"

My lawyer originally completed a DS-160 and we couldn't get back into it so she told me to just abandon it and create a new one. I did this and submitted it. Could it be referring to the uncompleted DS-160?
Old Apr 6th 2017, 6:25 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Phones and tablets are allowed now, to my knowledge.

Rene
Old Apr 6th 2017, 6:27 pm

Guys...

I just got home from work today to find this letter waiting for me dated 31st March. I am freaking out

"Dear [my name]:

We refer to our communication concerning the receipt of an approved petition according you(sic) status as a fiance (e) of a United States citizen.

As of this date we have had no reply from you. Please inform us within sixty days whether you intend to proceed with an approved application for a non-immigrant visa to marry and reside in the United States. We would appreciate a response even if you wish to abandon the application.

Sincerely,

Chief, Immigrant Visa Branch"

My lawyer originally completed a DS-160 and we couldn't get back into it so she told me to just abandon it and create a new one. I did this and submitted it. Could it be referring to the uncompleted DS-160?
My guess is probably yes.

Rene
Old Apr 6th 2017, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
My guess is probably yes.

Rene
Ah right, okay - do I need to do anything for that to let them know what happened? Should I speak to them tomorrow when I go down, or just leave it?

I know it says to let them know what's going on but I don't want to get in touch and say "Yeah you can go ahead and cancel..." to anything in case things get muddled and they cancel the wrong one or something.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.