Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

**NEED ADVICE**on fiancé visa

**NEED ADVICE**on fiancé visa

Old Aug 24th 2013, 6:14 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: **NEED ADVICE**on fiancé visa

Originally Posted by hotscot
Lost my job and visa.
... which makes your story so totally different from the OP, that I can't believe you bothered to mention it in this thread... as though it had some remote relevance to her situation.

Ian
Old Aug 24th 2013, 6:25 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I have an opinion based upon your facts, but I'm not your lawyer and will not provide my opinion.
Unless your opinion is different to the non lawyers, keep it to your self.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Ichigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really nice

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I have an opinion based upon your facts, but I'm not your lawyer and will not provide my opinion.
What is the point of your post?
Old Aug 24th 2013, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
... which makes your story so totally different from the OP, that I can't believe you bothered to mention it in this thread... as though it had some remote relevance to her situation.

Ian
If you can't believe it just go back and read it again. It will still be there and maybe you can convince yourself this time.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 10:13 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
If you can't believe it just go back and read it again. It will still be there and maybe you can convince yourself this time.
I maintain that your post is irrelevant. You had options the OP does not have... so there's a huge difference between your two scenarios - therefore, your situation is useless in terms of information provided. Thinking that your situation is similar does not actually make it so!

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Aug 24th 2013 at 10:18 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 3:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't stress.

I already stated that my situation didn't apply. In addition I've also seen posts by you that were irrelevant to the OP's original question on other threads.

In discussing matters in general one may uncover a nugget of helpful information that hadn't been considered previously. I've watched this process unfold in that manner many times.

(Be aware that I have found your contributions helpful on many occasions and I'm grateful. I take no offense.)

Last edited by Hotscot; Aug 25th 2013 at 3:15 am. Reason: To use more courteous language.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 4:36 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

When I was in practice, it was not uncommon for a client [or potential client] to tell me "But another lawyer told me ..." I would obtain the client's permission to speak with the other lawyer and then speak with the other lawyer. Quite often it would turn out that we had received a slightly different version of the facts or there was a fact that one us was not aware of.

And sometimes, it was just a difference of opinion on a matter which was what I call a "judgement call."
Old Aug 27th 2013, 2:34 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beautyandthebrit
I am a US citizen currently engaged to a UK citizen I met two years ago while in England. He flew here in July and proposed and we started planning our wedding and set our date knowing in the back of our minds that we had some things to get straight for him to legally live but not knowing what a huge process it was going to be. I have talked to several lawyers who have all given me different advice so I figured it would be best to talk to people who have already gone through the process....our wedding is set and booked for March 14th next year with no wiggle room because if we cancel now we lose $6,000 we have already put into the wedding venue and photographers. I have been told that a fiancé visa could potentially take 4 months to a year (which is a HUGE difference!) which could completely mess up our wedding if he isn't approved on time. Another lawyer told me that we could go ahead and get married now (through a justice of the peace) because we didn't have the intention of getting married when he flew here (he's here until October 4th visiting and helping me plan for march) and then we could keep our planned wedding date and do a ceremony and reception on march 14th as planned and start the process of applying for a change of status. Another lawyer told me that would be against the law and that we should stick with a fiancé visa.....all in all we are even more confused than we were when we started researching AND extremely stressed out. All we want to do is get married in march and live a normal life and now it's sounding more and more impossible. HELP PLEASE!
Your story is missing some key pieces of information, notably where are you planning to live after you get married? Because not only is there nothing to stop your fiancé from showing up, getting married, and then leaving the US, there isn't actually a visa (requirement) to do that, and in fact that is exactly what I did.

The only problem he would face is if he got married on the VWP, and then attempted to adjust status from within the US. If you do intend to live in the US, after the wedding you could then file for a spouse visa, but your husband would have to leave the US within 90 days of arriving under the VWP, and the spouse visa would take around 8 months to process, so putting you together around November 2014.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 8:34 am
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

With respect, you are about to lose $6,000
With respect, no she's not - the wedding in March can still go ahead - they just need to decide whether to apply for a K1 before that and risk abandoning that process if it doesn't come through in time, or waiting until after the wedding and going down the I130 route.

OR, as others have said, get married now, file the I130 and then still have the ceremony in March. $6k saved
Old Aug 27th 2013, 1:57 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

To be more accurate,
Originally Posted by Pulaski
The only problem he would face is if he arrived on the VWP, and then attempted to adjust status from within the US.

Regards, JEff

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Aug 27th 2013 at 2:00 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 10:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl
With respect, no she's not...
You didn't actually read the rest of that post, did you?

$6k saved
Having set the date with "no wiggle room", no matter which route they take, there is an element of risk. Whether they pursue the K-1 visa, or the I-130 afterwards, the wedding is dependent on the fiancé actually being allowed to enter the US in time for the wedding! The long-term members have seen cases where that didn't happen - $6,000 lost! Once you've been around a bit longer, you'll begin to understand!

Ian
Old Aug 27th 2013, 11:04 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

You didn't actually read the rest of that post, did you?

Having set the date with "no wiggle room", no matter which route they take, there is an element of risk. Whether they pursue the K-1 visa, or the I-130 afterwards, the wedding is dependent on the fiancé actually being allowed to enter the US in time for the wedding! The long-term members have seen cases where that didn't happen - $6,000 lost!

Ian
Of course I read it! Sure, there's an element of risk that, if worse comes to worse and he has to enter on the VWP, he might not be allowed in. I just didn't think you saying "you are about to lose $6k" was true either, that's all.

Once you've been around a bit longer, you'll begin to understand!
But thanks for patronising me...
Old Aug 27th 2013, 11:08 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl
I just didn't think you saying "you are about to lose $6k" was true either, that's all.
Ah, well... fair enough!

But thanks for patronising me...
I'm always happy to help!

Ian
Old Aug 27th 2013, 11:09 pm
Hoppity hop...

I'm always happy to help!

Ian