"original marriage certificate"

"original marriage certificate"

Old Apr 19th 2004, 11:04 am
Tod's Princess

Location: Me: Ghent, Belgium - Tod: Providence (Rhode Island), USA
Noortje is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "original marriage certificate"

Hey all,

As you can see, this link on the site of the Brussels American Embassy ( http://www.usembassy.be/consul/immi/howfilepet.htm ) says that we will have to bring our "original marriage certificate" to petition for a I-130 visa.

I find the words "original marriage certificate" to be a bit misleading. Obviously, they are not asking for the REAL original marriage certificate (the city where you get married will keep it), but only for a CERTIFIED COPY of the marriage certificate...

Am I right?

Thank you for your help,

(this stuff is really stressing me out )

~ Noortje
Old Apr 19th 2004, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

SeanHHH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: "original marriage certificate"

Hi -

They want the copy given to you ( A Certified Copy) as you cannot give them the original as that is NEVER let out of the records section.

What they do not want is a photocopy of your certificate.

Hope this helps..
~Sean

Originally posted by Noortje
Hey all,

As you can see, this link on the site of the Brussels American Embassy ( http://www.usembassy.be/consul/immi/howfilepet.htm ) says that we will have to bring our "original marriage certificate" to petition for a I-130 visa.

I find the words "original marriage certificate" to be a bit misleading. Obviously, they are not asking for the REAL original marriage certificate (the city where you get married will keep it), but only for a CERTIFIED COPY of the marriage certificate...

Am I right?

Thank you for your help,

~ Noortje
Old Apr 19th 2004, 1:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hey all,

Am I right?

Thank you for your help,

~ Noortje
Why are you stressing? You have it right the first time. The original is the certified certificate that you were given after the marriage certificate was registered. It will show all the registration marks, seals, etc. placed on it by the registering office.

I suppose they all use the term "original" to differentiate it from a xerox copy.

Rete
Old Apr 19th 2004, 1:31 pm
Tod's Princess

Originally posted by SeanHHH
Hi -

They want the copy given to you ( A Certified Copy) as you cannot give them the original as that is NEVER let out of the records section.

What they do not want is a photocopy of your certificate.

Hope this helps..
~Sean
Sean, thank you very much for your reply. I do appreciate it...

My fiancé and I are going to get married in Belgium. I have surfed on several websites and the American Embassy in the Netherlands specifically requires the international version of the marriage certificate (it's called Document B)...

Since nothing like that is stated on the site of the American Embassy in Belgium, I will just assume that they want a certified copy of the original, Belgian marriage certificate...

Thanks again,
~ Noortje
Old Apr 19th 2004, 1:33 pm
Tod's Princess

Originally posted by Rete
Why are you stressing? You have it right the first time. The original is the certified certificate that you were given after the marriage certificate was registered. It will show all the registration marks, seals, etc. placed on it by the registering office.

I suppose they all use the term "original" to differentiate it from a xerox copy.

Rete
Yup, okay Rete, thanks.
Now, we can only hope that the City of Ghent here will register the marriage ASAP since my husband-to-be will have to leave after 2.5 weeks after the marriage.

Otherwise, the poor guy has to come back... which *I* wouldn't mind of course...
Old Apr 19th 2004, 2:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, okay Rete, thanks.
Now, we can only hope that the City of Ghent here will register the marriage ASAP since my husband-to-be will have to leave after 2.5 weeks after the marriage.

Otherwise, the poor guy has to come back... which *I* wouldn't mind of course...

Pls, pls, pls, make sure that he gets one than one certified/original copy.

You will need originals for name change on most, if not all, of your government issued cards, etc.

Rete
Old Apr 19th 2004, 2:47 pm
Tod's Princess

Originally posted by Rete
Pls, pls, pls, make sure that he gets one than one certified/original copy.

You will need originals for name change on most, if not all, of your government issued cards, etc.

Rete
That is good to know Rete. Since we are getting married in Belgium, the name change is optional and I won't apply for it either. I'll just keep my own last name... But you are right, I'll probably need more certified copies of our marriage certificate, so I'll make sure we get more than one.

Thanks...
Old Apr 19th 2004, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget the birth certificates while getting things together.

That is good to know Rete. Since we are getting married in Belgium, the name change is optional and I won't apply for it either. I'll just keep my own last name... But you are right, I'll probably need more certified copies of our marriage certificate, so I'll make sure we get more than one.

Thanks...
Old Apr 19th 2004, 6:18 pm
Tod's Princess

Originally posted by lpdiver
Don't forget the birth certificates while getting things together.
Ok then people. Considering we are getting married in Belgium and then I am moving to the US after DCF... app. how many marriage and birth certificates should I ask for?

4 to 5?
Old Apr 19th 2004, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

For no particular reason I got three of everything. I figure if I get down to one it's time to reload.

Ok then people. Considering we are getting married in Belgium and then I am moving to the US after DCF... app. how many marriage and birth certificates should I ask for?

4 to 5?
Old Apr 19th 2004, 8:37 pm
cute as a button

Poppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant future

Hey all,

Am I right?

Thank you for your help,

~ Noortje
I had exactly the same worry months ago and even phoned the court house we were married in to ask where my original certificate was and yes I had a very confused lady on the other end of the phone telling me it was at their office and always would be...best of luck with your application and I hope it goes smoothly for you !
Poppy

Last edited by Poppy33usa; Apr 19th 2004 at 8:40 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2004, 11:28 pm
Den

No no no!

Not all juristicutions do this the same way.

For example, in the UK, all a couple receives is a certified copy. I have
four or five certified copies and they are all carry *exactly* the same
legal weight ... that is they are a certified copy of entry in the register
of marriages.

I would read "original marriage certificate" as certified copy of the
original marriage certificate / registration ... but not a photocopy!

Best

D

"SeanHHH" <member21105@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi -
    > They want the copy given to you ( A Certified Copy) as you cannot
    > give them the original as that is NEVER let out of the records section.
    > What they do not want is a photocopy of your certificate.
    > Hope this
    > helps..
    > ~Sean
    > Originally posted by Noortje
    > > Hey all,
    > >
    > > As you can see, this link on the site of the Brussels American
    > Embassy ( http://www.usembassy.be/consul/immi/howfilepet.htm
    > ) says that we will have to bring our "original marriage certificate" to
    > petition for a I-130 visa.
    > >
    > > I find the words "original marriage
    > certificate" to be a bit misleading. Obviously, they are not asking for
    > the REAL original marriage certificate (the city where you get married
    > will keep it), but only for a CERTIFIED COPY of the marriage
    > certificate...
    > >
    > > Am I right?
    > >
    > > Thank you for your help,
    > >
    > > (this
    > stuff is really stressing me out )
    > >
    > ~ Noortje
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Apr 20th 2004, 8:15 am
Tod's Princess

Hi

You're right. It's the same here. When you ask for your marriage certificate, it's a certified copy of entry in the register of marriages, same legal weight and everything.

Phew, I got a phone call from the American Embassy this morning because I had asked them a couple of questions through email and they just asked me for my phone number and called me this morning.
I am pretty lucky because my boyfriend and I want to do DCF ASAP after the marriage, because with the honeymoon in between and him having to go back to the US after 2.5 weeks, we don't have much time.
BUT receiving the marriage certificate immediately would have been problematic since it first has to be registered and THEN you can ask for a marriage certificate and with the Ghent Festivities in between... blah blah blah.
But anyway, the lady on the phone said that the marriage booklet that we receive right after the marrige is okay too! No need for the marriage certificate. That's just great for me.
I had done some research on the internet previously but only found Dutch sites obviously and in the Netherlands, they don't accept the marriage booklet. They only want the international version of the marriage certificate.

So anyway, I'm one happy girl this morning because we will be able to file the petition the same day of our marriage...