Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

You know you've been here too long when....

You know you've been here too long when....

Old Jun 1st 2008, 12:13 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: You know you've been here too long when....

Originally Posted by FlirtyKnickers
ok..i know im a bit slow but whats a 56 and a 98??

According to documents in my possession; Pad Thai Jay and a side order of Jasmine Rice.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 12:14 am
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
According to documents in my possession; Pad Thai Jay and a side order of Jasmine Rice.
excellent...can we share?? looks like there's no one else here
Old Jun 1st 2008, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by G77
He will if you tell him warm beer is crap and Canadian architecture is the best.....

Or that Canada is metric or that beer shipped via boat from the UK in a bottled form is better than locally produced draught beer here in Canada.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

DBD and Bazzzzzz, oh those two really know how to look on the bright side of life.

Like the Victor Meldrew's of BE.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 7:50 am
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cneldred
DBD and Bazzzzzz, oh those two really know how to look on the bright side of life.

Like the Victor Meldrew's of BE.
I loved the Victor Meldrew character
Old Jun 1st 2008, 12:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clynnog
Or that Canada is metric or that beer shipped via boat from the UK in a bottled form is better than locally produced draught beer here in Canada.
Not always better, just more reliable.

I thought of you yesterday Mr. Heptolitres. I picked up a price quote for roofing materials; the roof was measured in my absence by Canadians in Canada. Among other items I need:

10lbs bulk nails
33x14FT9, 15x10FT 29GA coloured steel
2200 2" screws

the only time metric comes into ordinary life is when things have to be reported to the government. I shall, of course, be claiming a tax deduction for 4,550 grams of nails and 2000 308mm screws.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 1:32 pm
Cheesey Dippin-Dunkin

Harrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbd33
Not always better, just more reliable.

I thought of you yesterday Mr. Heptolitres. I picked up a price quote for roofing materials; the roof was measured in my absence by Canadians in Canada. Among other items I need:

10lbs bulk nails
33x14FT9, 15x10FT 29GA coloured steel
2200 2" screws

the only time metric comes into ordinary life is when things have to be reported to the government. I shall, of course, be claiming a tax deduction for 4,550 grams of nails and 2000 308mm screws.
I'd check you conversions before putting them on the tax return - and make sure the receipt is in metric
Old Jun 1st 2008, 1:39 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

You read through a whole thread and cannot think of a witty comment to make....

But I did marvel at your meandering witterings
Old Jun 1st 2008, 7:52 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Utter rubbish. More like the acceptable face of sanity.
Since when did I become the acceptable face of anything? I'm obviously going soft in my old age.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 7:53 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

Originally Posted by bazzz
Since when did I become the acceptable face of anything? I'm obviously going soft in my old age.

Some how i doubt that
Old Jun 1st 2008, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

I thought of you yesterday Mr. Heptolitres.
the only time metric comes into ordinary life is when things have to be reported to the government.
So ordinary life doesn't include weather forecasts, speed limits, the quantity of petrol purchased, the amount of unpackaged meet at a deli purchased, etc.

I've never been called Mr. Heptolitres before...not sure if that is a compliment or not..although with dbd you never can be sure if you have been praised or not.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 11:30 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
No bazzz, you're going soft in my old age, which I imagine is even more worrying for you. You must try to be wrong more often if you want to become unacceptable.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 1:11 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clynnog
the amount of unpackaged meet at a deli purchased, etc.
Can you meat in metric? I've never tried that; I always buy meat and cheese from counters at the St Lawrence market, always by the pound. I think it's probably easier for the staff if you order stuff that's priced by the pound in pounds though I know they have dual scales and so could cope with an order for, say, 455grams. I'll give that a go, but most of the traders, although originally from metric countries, have been here long enough that I expect they'll think me odd.

Weather is available in either units, even from Weather Canada or whatever they're called. Petrol is now sold and discussed by the tank as it's too complicated to work out mpg when their are neither miles nor gallons. That's one area where metric is a blessing, people used to bleat on about fuel consumption on different tyres, at different speeds and so on; now no one knows what their car consumes so there's much less geekery.

I suppose I am complimenting you, I see you as a Canadian version of the "metric martyr" in the UK; devoted to your slightly crazed belief that because the government says the country's gone metric it actually has. I admire the eccentricity, though not the obediance.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 1:40 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I know they have dual scales and so could cope with an order for, say, 455grams.

I doubt it. 454 gm might be doable though.

That's one area where metric is a blessing, people used to bleat on about fuel consumption on different tyres, at different speeds and so on; now no one knows what their car consumes so there's much less geekery.
Quintessential dbd33-ism that. Well done.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 1:48 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

I doubt it. 454 gm might be doable though.
I went to fetch the butter to see if it comes in 454g or 455g chunks (I'd remembered 455 but you'd know better). Alas, we have a different brand of butter this week and it's measured in "ml".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.