Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

You know you're in Detroit when....

You know you're in Detroit when....

Old Aug 9th 2009, 2:56 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default You know you're in Detroit when....

..... you go to Aldi shopping and there's a guy buying his groceries with a gun on his belt (and no, he wasn't a cop!)

Nothing to do with Canada I know, but seeing a member of the public carrying a gun openly in a store is a reminder of the differences across the border....

BTW - for those wondering; Aldi looks exactly the same as it does in the UK, except they sell mostly unbranded American made stuff rather than German...
Old Aug 9th 2009, 4:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you're in Detroit when....

Sure he wasn't a plain clothes officer?

Gun laws vary by state, some can be quite easy to get a permit to carry a gun, while others can be pretty much impossible to carry on on your person unless there is a need for it.

I know in California had someone come in wearing a gun into a store, the store would most likely call the police as that would be well very odd to have someone carrying a gun in public.

I'd have thought though with Detroit having not the best record for gun violence that Michigan would have stricter laws on carrying guns in public.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 5:39 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Perfectly legal to openly carry a gun in Michigan - illegal to conceal one without a permit, which I think is a little strange....

He didn't look like your typical cop to me - though I could be stereotyping....
Old Aug 9th 2009, 7:55 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Sure he wasn't a plain clothes officer?

Gun laws vary by state, some can be quite easy to get a permit to carry a gun, while others can be pretty much impossible to carry on on your person unless there is a need for it.

I know in California had someone come in wearing a gun into a store, the store would most likely call the police as that would be well very odd to have someone carrying a gun in public.

I'd have thought though with Detroit having not the best record for gun violence that Michigan would have stricter laws on carrying guns in public.
I can say as a plain clothes officer myself, that it would be very irresponsible to have the gun on display for all to see. One of the guys at work did that by accident - terrified some woman half to death - we know call him 'cold steel."
Old Aug 9th 2009, 8:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
I can say as a plain clothes officer myself, that it would be very irresponsible to have the gun on display for all to see. One of the guys at work did that by accident - terrified some woman half to death - we know call him 'cold steel."
I was thinking that, wasn't 100% sure on the rules in Michigan so I didn't want to rule it out totally on maybe being plain clothes.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 11:16 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

My son still laughs when telling the story of the undercover cops at his school. Pupils were told there would be undercover cops mingling around at his school (1300 students).

Later that day two guys were seen wearing dark shades and a gun, swaggering around the corridors, hands on hips 'undercover' - yeah right

Ginger-haired David Caruso, shades on, shades off, crouch.............. would have been more invisible
Old Aug 9th 2009, 2:23 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

terrified some woman half to death
The wife wasn't exactly impressed.... but then if I was black and I lived in Detroit, I'd probably do the same
Old Aug 9th 2009, 2:25 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

We came across the same thing in Buffalo some years ago. Liquor store, man/redneck type with gun on belt buying bourbon.

Scary.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 2:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
We came across the same thing in Buffalo some years ago. Liquor store, man/redneck type with gun on belt buying bourbon.

Scary.
I was in a bar in Mississippi, I had a black eye from a Toronto pool game gone wrong. There were handguns on the bar and the tables (concealed weapons being illegal in MS). My client gestured towards game of nine ball in progress "You think we can knock them niggers off the table?". I declined to try.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

I've been to a couple of places in Alaska where they ride up to the bar on horseback, and leave their .44 magnums hanging at the entrance.

The reason why 'mericuns can carry openly is "the right to bear arms." They don't have a right to "concealed carry" in all states and so may need a permit. An openly carried gun on hip also tends to promote a more civil response most cases.

In my gun club it's amazing how polite, considerate and slow moving people are!
Old Aug 9th 2009, 4:38 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

I do wish Aldi hadn't scrapped their expansion plans
Old Aug 9th 2009, 4:48 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

I've been to Vermont quite a few times and always thought it a somewhat bucolic, peaceful and friendly place. I was surprised a few years ago when I learned this:-
Vermont has very few gun control laws. Gun dealers are required to keep a record of all handgun sales. It is illegal to carry a gun on school property or in a courthouse. State law preempts local governments from regulating the possession, ownership, transfer, carrying, registration or licensing of firearms.[216]

The term "Vermont Carry" is used by gun rights advocates to refer to allowing citizens to carry a firearm concealed or openly without any sort of permit requirement. Vermont law does not distinguish between residents and non-residents of the state; both have the same right to carry while in Vermont.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

oooo - but to some of us that would be "tres sexy", tu me comprends?
Old Aug 9th 2009, 9:53 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Brownstar
I do wish Aldi hadn't scrapped their expansion plans
Aldi is great and from what I've seen, they're even cheaper than they were in the UK! A gallon of milk was 99 cents!
Old Aug 10th 2009, 2:59 am
Account Closed

Much more of hassle back home with open carry, not legal to open carry a loaded fire arm in California except in certain area's.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 10th 2009 at 3:04 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.