Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

You know your kids have integrated when....

You know your kids have integrated when....

Old Jun 18th 2010, 11:13 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know your kids have integrated when....

Originally Posted by lifeisajourney
.... you drop your 4 year old off at nursery (he was 1 when we moved here and has only been at nursery for a few months) , you're hanging his backpack etc on his hook, he stands up straight and looks all serious and refuses to budge, as he has heard the into to 'O Canada' and he's not going to move until it's over.

Earlier this week I volunteered in my 6 year old daughter's class (she was 4 when we moved) and there she was proudly singing "O Canada' in French......

My little almost Canadians!
I always feel a little sorry for the parents and the kids when that happens. There's a cultural disconnect that neither can fully appreciate and that creates and unfortunate distance. I suppose the parents and kids can't be as close if you don't grow up with the same shared experiences. It’s a bit sad really, but I guess that's the price you pay when you emigrate.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 11:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I always feel a little sorry for the parents and the kids when that happens. There's a cultural disconnect that neither can fully appreciate and that creates and unfortunate distance. I suppose the parents and kids can't be as close if you don't grow up with the same shared experiences. It’s a bit sad really, but I guess that's the price you pay when you emigrate.
I think there's a bigger concern than that in the case of people who emigrate to Canada. If their children were to truly assimilate then the parents would bear the guilt of their cultural deprivation. It is, I think, to assuage the parental conscience that so many children are dispatched to spend the summers in their homelands and are shuffled around ethnic events while in Canada. It seems to me that the lack of New Canadian participation in iced hockey is, at least in part, because it's seen as the quinessential cradle pastime; joining in would be symbolic of assimilation to the children and of failure to the parents.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

@Oink
I think you're worrying about nothing. Cultural disconnect? Are you really suggesting that there's an age cutoff for assimilating a culture? It's just easier for the child because they're surrounded by other canadian children who will become their friends easily. If you put an adult in a similar situation I think they would assimilate just as fast. It's all about immersing yourself, adult or child. I'm sure the parents can catch up

@dbd33
You're rather negative about that... but you're entitled to your opinion of course. I would add personally that I don't think a culture will completely take over from the views and attitudes of the parents.

Last edited by CanadaJimmy; Jun 18th 2010 at 11:29 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 11:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
I think you're worrying about nothing. Cultural disconnect? Are you really suggesting that there's an age cutoff for assimilating a culture?
Are you really suggesting there's a Canadian culture?
Old Jun 18th 2010, 11:29 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I saw the film East is East which deals with this very issue and it seems that there's anger and resentment on both sides.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Are you really suggesting there's a Canadian culture?
I don't think there's a uniform culture that covers the entire scope of Canada, no, because it's a massive country. You get localised attitudes, in Vancouver for example the culture is defined largely by it's presence on the west coast. And there are certainly some strong cultural elements here.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 11:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
I don't think there's a uniform culture that covers the entire scope of Canada, no, because it's a massive country. You get localised attitudes, in Vancouver for example the culture is defined largely by it's presence on the west coast. And there are certainly some strong cultural elements here.
Such as? I can only recall meeting one person from Vancouver, the proprietor of the viewit website. He was a stereotypical redneck, hates the French, not keen on any Euros, not a fan of women with opinions, fat, chain smoker, wearing a cowboy shirt, the sort of person one sees on that "people of WalMart" site. I accept that this kind of person is common in Canada but suggest that the persona is as American as it is Canadian.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Yes, it's banal and whenever it comes on I hear some Swiss or other muttering "you stole that from us, you know". Jerusalem or Land of Hope and Glory would be better though I suppose the former might upset some in the near colonies.
love both these songs, any one would be great for the national anthem imo I also love OH Canada, and not the star spangled banner, but the other one sorry don't know the name it starts "oh beautiful something I prefer that one
Old Jun 19th 2010, 12:31 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dgjamison
love both these songs, any one would be great for the national anthem imo I also love OH Canada, and not the star spangled banner, but the other one sorry don't know the name it starts "oh beautiful something I prefer that one
I like the star spangled banner, stirring words. The tune to Oh Canada is still indecipherable to my electronic ear which makes me think it doesn't use many notes.

A national anthem needs a memorable tune, something you can belt out loud and not worry that you are singing off key, add some emotive words and and some sort of flourish and there you are. Instant patriotism.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I like the star spangled banner, stirring words.
I can't understand a bloody word they sing in TSSB - I get lost at Hose A. What happened to Hose B? And why should a hose be able to see?
Old Jun 19th 2010, 12:50 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by triumphguy
I can't understand a bloody word they sing in TSSB - I get lost at Hose A. What happened to Hose B? And why should a hose be able to see?
ah, I never understand lyrics so I look them up.

Hose A would be Jose perhaps?

Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?
Old Jun 19th 2010, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

So it's not about some spanish guy watching the dawn?
Old Jun 19th 2010, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

they've never heard the shipping forcast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWl0QD9W-Oc

Last edited by triumphguy; Jun 19th 2010 at 1:11 am.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

I like the star spangled banner, stirring words. The tune to Oh Canada is still indecipherable to my electronic ear which makes me think it doesn't use many notes.

A national anthem needs a memorable tune, something you can belt out loud and not worry that you are singing off key, add some emotive words and and some sort of flourish and there you are. Instant patriotism.
You probably will think me nuts, but when we went home in '85, I really did'nt want to be away from Canada, but family need dictated. Every time we had a party and we had the old sing song I used to sing Oh Canada, I think my family thought me mad, but I loved the song and i loved the country, and I really missed it here, still love the song, it brings back so many lovely memories, I think of my friends that I worked with and wonder how they are doing, friends we socalised with how are they are they still here, it just conjures up all sorts of old memories, that will always be with me. I know that is old sentimental tosh, but I love it
Old Jun 19th 2010, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

ah, I never understand lyrics so I look them up.

Hose A would be Jose perhaps?

What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?
Is'nt if funny how many anthems have words to the strong and the free, when I lived iN Australia, it was"Home of the Anzac the strong and the free" Canada "glorious and free, we stand on guard ect sometimes we talk about america (what is the hatred about america??) but are not other countries as
patriotic? ans are we not a bit jealous fo USA patriotism? We have just travelled up through the states, and I have to say I am more than impressed by the way they support their troups, and seem to honour them, I think about the poor boys from Blighty and they are nowhere as well looked after, and some of the people of Britain do not honour them as much as our american neighbours do, what a shame. These poor guys are out there against the odds, and it is against the odds (I have'nt known a gorilla warfare to be defeated yet) givining their lives its obscene IMO If I had my way they would be brought home

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.