Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Are you immune to flu?

Are you immune to flu?

Old Nov 1st 2018, 3:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you immune to flu?

Originally Posted by bats
Though not wearing a seatbelt when you are in the backseat is a danger to the people in front as you fly from your seat into the front seat passengers.

I've always been told that if there's "snot it's not" flu. A feverish cold or somesuch.

I always used to be a martyr to chest infections and bronchitis but a few years ago I had pneumococcal infection vaccines, Prevnar 13 and 23, and since then I've had only mild coughs and splutters. I'm a fan.
No snot. Sunday I woke up with an annoying dry unproductive cough but otherwise felt fine, same with Monday, Tuesday came along and I felt horrible and body aches and fever, fever broke sometime overnight, Wed felt better, today I feel better but still not great and still have a unproductive cough and when I fet up and do stuff, my energy level drops quickly.

When I was younger child and teen years, I would get bronchitis often, it was a chronic issue. Once I moved out it stopped. I think it was likely connected to 2nd hand smoke as my mom smoked.
Old Nov 1st 2018, 4:25 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Seems to be more prevalent over here than when either I was growing up or living in the old country. Perhaps things have changed since I've been gone
Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I think it's a combination of time - it's more widely available and expected that one should get it than when we were younger - and yes more of a push in North America than in the UK
I've looked at this before and bad effects of Flu (just like workplace injuries) in Canada seems far greater than the UK.

A quick google on flu deaths Canada and flu deaths UK, and going no further than the results page shows the following.
It is estimated that influenza causes approximately 12,200 hospitalizations and 3,500 deaths in Canada each year.
I
n the UK it is estimated that an average of 600 people a year die from complications of flu.
No clear reference to how many hospitalisations in the UK and there are exceptional years for deaths (presumably in both countries) but an average for Canada of 3500 when the UK with near double the population has an average of 600.

It's no wonder there's more push in North America. Nearly 6 times as many deaths in Canada from half the population. Must be close to 12 times as likely to have flu kill you in Canada.
Old Nov 1st 2018, 5:28 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I'd stick with the advice from the US President
Old Nov 1st 2018, 5:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I've looked at this before and bad effects of Flu (just like workplace injuries) in Canada seems far greater than the UK.

A quick google on flu deaths Canada and flu deaths UK, and going no further than the results page shows the following.

I
No clear reference to how many hospitalisations in the UK and there are exceptional years for deaths (presumably in both countries) but an average for Canada of 3500 when the UK with near double the population has an average of 600.

It's no wonder there's more push in North America. Nearly 6 times as many deaths in Canada from half the population. Must be close to 12 times as likely to have flu kill you in Canada.

CDC says this about the US:

"influenza kills between 12,000 and 49,000 people and can send more than 700,000 people to the hospital, the CDC says."

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...7-2018-n881381
Old Nov 1st 2018, 7:36 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B

I'd stick with the advice from the US President
Along with
Trump says he ‘wouldn’t be surprised’ if unfounded conspiracy theory about George Soros funding caravan is true