Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Are you following the rules?

Are you following the rules?

Old May 2nd 2021, 4:54 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Are you following the rules?

COVID rules of course.

Sanitiser, mask, distance. In Ontario we have stay at home order and told to stay In our region but there's no definition of what the region is. We can get takeout but how far away can you drive to get it?
We don't have family here so aren't tempted to invite them round but I see the neighbours do and I wonder what I would do in their circumstances. We do chat to the neighbours on the street or in front yards but we aren't suppose to do this.
If you break the rules is it reasoned? Risk assessed or just you don't give a damn anddon't believe in the restrictions?
Old May 2nd 2021, 5:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you following the rules?

Rules in BC are not really strict, so yeah we mostly follow them.

I have mostly stopped using hand sanitizer though, my psoriasis has been bad and hand sanitizer well causes too many skin issues for me, but I wash my hands with soap and water whenever I have the option to when out and about.

We have some travel restrictions within the province, they broke the province into 3 regions for travel Lower Mainland-Fraser Valley, Island, and Northern/Interior and your supposed to stay within the region in which you reside. Essential travel between regions is still allowed.

Old May 2nd 2021, 6:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, I'm a good boy.

Easy to do in a household of four.

Old May 2nd 2021, 7:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Me too…I’m a good girl. Wear a mask, sanitize hands. Try to walk 10K steps per day, but that’s about it.
Old May 2nd 2021, 7:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, following the rules, not that it's much of an inconvenience.
Old May 2nd 2021, 7:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the US and have followed the rules since March 2020. I wear a mask in public,wash hands frequently (no, I do not use hand sanitizers unless it is offered at the entrance to a store, although I do have a carry one in my purse and one in my car). For region, I've not traveled outside of 15 miles from my home. I don't use a mask if I am outside walking but have it hanging from one ear in case I happen upon someone who wants to chat so I can easily slip it onto the other ear. I don't wear the mask in the car or when I'm with my family as the kids do virtual schooling and haven't been playing with friends. I do go to restaurants alone or with friends and wear a mask into the restaurant and to leave it but not during the ordering process or eating.
Old May 2nd 2021, 8:27 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I live alone. In a condo. Condo living makes it more painful following the rules as I'm sure JerseyGirl can attest too.

We have limits of people allowed in the elevator etc....

It's painful though. I see lots of folk ignoring the rules with gatherings on social media, gatherings at Easter etc. I have no impact as I've always low contact with people other than Hooters on a Saturday in normal times.

Case numbers in Ontario are not dropping like they did in the two previous lockdowns which tells me that people are lazy, arrogant but have also "have had enough" and fail to understand the limited hospital capacity.

It's a controversial thing to say but if you are not "an essential worker" and you get covid now then it's entirely your fault and you should expect no sympathy. I'd also weigh up where you fit in terms of what care you get in the hospital should you have to go. Thankfully I'm not in charge of healthcare in the province.
Old May 2nd 2021, 8:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
I live alone. In a condo. Condo living makes it more painful following the rules as I'm sure JerseyGirl can attest too.

We have limits of people allowed in the elevator etc....

It's painful though. I see lots of folk ignoring the rules with gatherings on social media, gatherings at Easter etc. I have no impact as I've always low contact with people other than Hooters on a Saturday in normal times.

Case numbers in Ontario are not dropping like they did in the two previous lockdowns which tells me that people are lazy, arrogant but have also "have had enough" and fail to understand the limited hospital capacity.

It's a controversial thing to say but if you are not "an essential worker" and you get covid now then it's entirely your fault and you should expect no sympathy. I'd also weigh up where you fit in terms of what care you get in the hospital should you have to go. Thankfully I'm not in charge of healthcare in the province.
I can indeed James, that’s why we’ve been in the house for the last year and a bit, so we can avoid people. This year we have started going back downtown and I must say most adhere to the rules. It does help that our property manager rules with an iron glove.

IMO our numbers are very disappointing. They are just about as bad as they’ve ever been, despite approx 30% being vaccinated, plus the lockdowns. I agree from what I see, people on the whole are getting lazy/arrogant. Early in the year, both downtown and here, almost everyone wore masks when outside. Now very few wear masks. I figure it’s a case of…I’ve had one shot/jab…so I’m OK.

Probably best if we don’t go into your involvement in Hooters on a Saturday night.
Old May 2nd 2021, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I think it’s a little unfair to call those breaking the rules lazy or arrogant.
we’re all suffering from Covid fatigue. I want to see my boys and I want to hug them. I’m totally pissed off with Covid. My older boys still haven’t met their niece who turns 8 months in a few days.
Several times a day I speak with people who are « going round to friends for drinks, getting a ride home from Mom, driving a friend from A to B.

During all that time I’m just dreaming of seeing my boys. We haven’t seen friends properly since this all started. My husband and youngest son are now my best friends. I miss life.

I met a woman a few days ago ranting on about a conspiracy theory from Bill Gâtes to reduce the population. She works at the hospital dealing with Covid tests and days 30% of them are false positives.

I want my life back. I want to hug people and kiss my boys. I’m tired of people sanitizing things I touch like I’m the enemy.

I can’t help being devastated to read about hard working people losing everything because of this friggin virus. People on the brink of bankruptcy whose lives are over and will never be able to recover financially from these hard times.

Please can we have our lives back (Sorry for the rant. I don’t want to blame people. They’re just done living half lives).
Old May 2nd 2021, 10:26 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't been in a store since February 2020.
I did go for a meal or two on patios when they were open last year and met up with 1 friend, briefly, once.. (outside) - socially distanced.. mask on to and from, sanitizer as required.
I still wipe down my groceries when they are delivered
The only person I see is my son, who lives alone and doesn't see anybody except for me. He's sufferering with depression, having zero contact with friends.. and lost his job 14 months ago, due to covid.
Absolutely suffering from covid fatigue, but determined not to add to the issues, so have been a good giirl and kept with the program.
Old May 2nd 2021, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we are following the rules. Only go out for groceries or wine / beer. No one over. Only thing we do that is against the rules is go for joyrides on the motorbike or in the Miata soft top - I simply cannot see the risk in this.
Old May 2nd 2021, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we're following the rules. OH goes out more than I do but he loves to walk. So he wlaks to the coffee shop in the afternoons, or to do bits of shopping, etc, and has a long walk in the evening. We always have masks either on or pushed below the chin so can be quickly pulled up if someone is coming.

We don't have take-out delivered, for some reason OH doesn't like it, but he does walk down to the local Japanese restaurant and brings take-out home one night a week.

We went out for dinner twice last summer after restaurants etc had been allowed to re-open, ate indoors at our special restaurant ......... one week for our anniversary, the next week for OH's birthday. Didn't go back after that though we had hoped to. But I didn't feel ready enough.

OH takes me to physio treatment every 2 or 3 weeks since they were allowed to open back in last July ......... no qualms there as I've been going to the same guy since 1995. He's the owner and he's almost obsessive about doing things right. The precautions that he set up were even more strict than WorkSafe BC had suggested.

Going there and a couple of times to the doctor's office is all I've done since last November, except for 2 trips to the coffee shop to have coffee on the patio 2 weeks ago.

I had my first jap of Pfizer on March 30, so 4 weeks ago. But we have to wait 16 weeks for the second jab, unless more vaccine arrives.

I'd love to see my daughter and her family, but they live in NS, and are in total shutdown again for at least another couple of weeks. TBH, even though we haven't been able to meet since we left there on December 27th 2019, it isn't worth the hassling of quarantine there and back here, and possibly in Ontario, combined with the worry about what everyone else is doing. I wouldn't fly anyway, the trains are running as far as Montreal with restricted service.

I'll wait patiently, read more books from the thousands that we have (and buy a few new ones), make sure that we both wear masks, wash hands, use sanitizer, keep distances etc.

I don't wipe groceries, I've read in a couple of places that research by reputable scientists has shown that it isn't necessary. But also because most of what we buy is not going to be used immediately ........ it's either going to sit in the fridge, freezer or on the storage shelves for several days or weeks. I do however wash my hands thoroughly after unpacking them.

Re hand sanitizer ........ I've found a hand sanitizer that doesn't bother my hands, always carry a bottle with me, and use it quite ostentatiously if I'm out. I got the physio's permission to use it instead of the one that he supplies because the one I used in his office caused my skin to dry and split.

There doesn't seem much else we can do except obey the restrictions, and hope that this covid is eventually reduced to something similar to flu .............. get vaccinated every year in the hope that the vaccine will stop any new mutant variants from causing serious illness.

and hope that covidiots will listen for once, so that numbers will drop
Old May 3rd 2021, 12:37 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I've been good.
Old May 3rd 2021, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I think it’s a little unfair to call those breaking the rules lazy or arrogant.
we’re all suffering from Covid fatigue. I want to see my boys and I want to hug them. I’m totally pissed off with Covid. My older boys still haven’t met their niece who turns 8 months in a few days.
Several times a day I speak with people who are « going round to friends for drinks, getting a ride home from Mom, driving a friend from A to B.

During all that time I’m just dreaming of seeing my boys. We haven’t seen friends properly since this all started. My husband and youngest son are now my best friends. I miss life.

I met a woman a few days ago ranting on about a conspiracy theory from Bill Gâtes to reduce the population. She works at the hospital dealing with Covid tests and days 30% of them are false positives.

I want my life back. I want to hug people and kiss my boys. I’m tired of people sanitizing things I touch like I’m the enemy.

I can’t help being devastated to read about hard working people losing everything because of this friggin virus. People on the brink of bankruptcy whose lives are over and will never be able to recover financially from these hard times.

Please can we have our lives back (Sorry for the rant. I don’t want to blame people. They’re just done living half lives).
I think this is a fair assessment of how people feel now., and I can empathise and agree.

The media and the like talk about "staying safe" I think "staying sane" is just as much as a challenge now as staying safe! I think there is a balance to be had somewhere.

Like James, I also live on my own, this can be an even bigger challenge, I am not even going into work anymore, I hate working at home, plus I don't know anyone where I now live, all my freinds are in my old town. Under the rules people living alone can visit another household, so thats what I do. Every weekend travel to my friends place in my old town where I do some work on the boat and enjoy the company of my friend and his wife with a beer or three, this keeps me sane I think, so if other people need to find that responsible balance to stay sane, then I would not frown on them at all.

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; May 3rd 2021 at 4:54 pm.
Old May 3rd 2021, 6:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

We live about 50 yds from our daughter and granddaughter. We have only seen them from a distance since early last March. The exception was Christmas/NY. We all isolated for 14 days before getting together for Christmas and they both had negative COVID tests. It is my daughter’s birthday on Wednesday. I will leave her card and gifts by the door and wish her happy birthday from the outside of her gate.

For a change we sometimes drive to the local mall and walk around the perimeter of the car park a few times. It’s called desperation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.