British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   xbox (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/xbox-547152/)

chris kim Jul 6th 2008 10:12 am

xbox

will an xbox 360 work in alberta. i know its wrong voltage but dont know if it will work with adapter. kids have a lot of games
thanks........ chris

Butch Cassidy Jul 6th 2008 2:32 pm

Re: xbox

Originally Posted by chris kim (Post 6539632)
will an xbox 360 work in alberta. i know its wrong voltage but dont know if it will work with adapter. kids have a lot of games
thanks........ chris

Depends if it can get an LMO I guess :p

Coffeepot Jul 6th 2008 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy (Post 6540227)
Depends if it can get an LMO I guess :p

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

kate white Jul 6th 2008 4:22 pm

thanks........ chris

wont work,we got the adapter but still it did not work,in the end we had to buy a new one for the kids, some of their games play but most wont better to get rid and start over

chris kim Jul 6th 2008 7:16 pm

ok that sorts that then.. thanks

G77 Jul 6th 2008 9:11 pm

You can buy a new Xbox 360 power supply from ebay over there, but they're not cheap - talking about £40. That'd work if you're connecting to the TV with component or HDMI.

Some of the games are region locked though, so you'd find that some of the games over there wouldn't work....but that won't be an issue for the stash of games you already have.

I'm gonna sell mine and get a new one over there, but that's because we're not getting a container, I'd be tempted just to chuck it in if I was....

EDIT: This is what you need - http://cgi.ebay.ca/Xbox-360-AC-Adapt...QQcmdZViewItem

Not as expensive as I thought - worth considering....

terese677 Jul 7th 2008 3:22 am

thanks........ chris

We sold ours and starting again
Terese

NickyP84 Jul 7th 2008 12:57 pm

Drat!

I've been winding my younger brother up that I'm taking my original Xbox with me and now it looks (from the above comments anyway) that he might be getting it in the end!! :p

Grrrrr! Will it definately not work?

Oakvillian Jul 7th 2008 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by NickyP84 (Post 6543951)
Drat!

I've been winding my younger brother up that I'm taking my original Xbox with me and now it looks (from the above comments anyway) that he might be getting it in the end!! :p

Grrrrr! Will it definately not work?

Three issues to contend with:
1. voltage. Address either by replacing power supply (see G77's comments above) or a transformer
2. signal output. If you use RF connectors you'll run into NTSC/PAL issues. These shouldn't be a problem if you use HDMI or component connectors.
3. regional encoding. UK games may not work with a N American console, and vice versa.

I'd take it with you - if you can't get it to work you can always sling it back in your brother's direction with the first returning visitor...

Zoe Bell Jul 7th 2008 10:24 pm

Also you can use your old Xbox live ID to access the UK xbox live stuff , microsoft won't allow you to alter the country once you've set it up.\You will have to set up an new Live ID to access Canadian services

G77 Jul 7th 2008 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 6546034)
Also you can use your old Xbox live ID to access the UK xbox live stuff , microsoft won't allow you to alter the country once you've set it up.\You will have to set up an new Live ID to access Canadian services

Have you tried calling them? I've read that they will change countries for you if you ring xbox support...

Zoe Bell Jul 7th 2008 10:54 pm

it is an absolute according to Xbox support , they will NOT change country. Which leaves the poor sod from down under who accidently put Austria in a fairly cruddy position!!!

chris kim Jul 9th 2008 4:11 pm

ok thanks everyone i think we will sell it

Souvenir Jul 9th 2008 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by chris kim (Post 6552954)
ok thanks everyone i think we will sell it

Good idea. Buy the kids some bicycles instead.

xbox and its kind are very rapidly turning the youth of today into vegetables.

chris kim Jul 9th 2008 5:24 pm

thanks souvenir... my boys have bikes.. one is taking sport science. the other has had trials with man united, liverpool, and crewe.. hardly vegetables