British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Wow better check your driving licence. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/wow-better-check-your-driving-licence-890756/)

Former Lancastrian Jan 28th 2017 12:56 pm

Wow better check your driving licence.

Now Im all in favour for people getting ticketed for speeding, using cell phones when driving and some other offences but this one Wow.

A Camrose man is ticked about his ticket — a $465 traffic violation issued by Edmonton police — for having a cracked driver's licence.
'Seriously?': Edmonton police issue $465 ticket for cracked driver's licence - Edmonton - CBC News

How many of us be it a credit card or similar card have pulled it out of our wallets and noticed that the card was cracked? My ATM had a small crack but it still works.

I guess common sense is not a strong point with the EPS or mmmm younger policeman suggesting there were 2 in the vehicle either felt pressure to give a ticket (quotas) or power trip or having a really bad day.

There again most Police Forces have become the Revenue Collectors for cities and municipalities with the amount of tickets being dished out and quotas imposed on them to issue tickets.

dave_j Jan 28th 2017 5:15 pm

Re: Wow better check your driving licence.

I think the man has just cause to be upset.
He wasn't driving badly, having been pulled over simply because his car resembled one reportedly driving erratically.
The officer admits that the driver wasn't abusive so this can only be one where over officiousness has run riot.
It reminds me of my uncle, who died early having achieved the rank of deputy commander in the London Met. He explained how proud he was as a pc of having pinched someone and having been the first in the met to have applied a new offense. It's a game to some, but like this individual, it's a serious issue when you don't have the money to play.

not2old Jan 28th 2017 5:20 pm

without opening that link & seeing the word 'cracked', the first thing that came to my mind was the license had the 'white powdered stuff' on it, you know, using the license as a scraper.

Not as it was all cracked up to be

BristolUK Jan 28th 2017 5:24 pm

Balay, 52, said he wasn't worried because he doesn't drink.
Obviously someone who can't be trusted. :sneaky:;):lol:

R I C H Jan 28th 2017 9:53 pm

I got an address change applied to my licence recently. In BC this means a printed sticker is applied to a current licence. My licence already had a small crack in it, but the licensing office didn't mention it or care. In effect they reissued it in that condition.

sharkus Jan 28th 2017 10:12 pm

Well this is taking automotive snooker to a new level, perhaps this is some kind of trick shot they were playing to gain extra points? That or the guy made the mistake of pissing someone off, unbeknownst to him that the person was a cop and decided for a bit of on the job payback.

scrubbedexpat091 Jan 29th 2017 2:37 am

And apparently per Edmonton police statement, the officers gave the guy a break.

"the officer had grounds to lay a careless driving charge, which carries a fine of $543 and six demerit points. But because Balay was co-operative, the officer issued a lesser fine for a cracked driver's licence. "

Vulcanoid Jan 29th 2017 12:54 pm

I suppose a key point is what's been missed out of the story - from

According to the statement, the officer had grounds to lay a careless driving charge
, but there's nothing else in the story to reference that. Having a car similar to one reported for swerving is not intrinsically an offence. If there was indeed grounds for a careless driving charge and it was knocked down, that's one thing. If they're making that up later, that's another, very serious, thing. Either way, something fairly big is missing.

Paul_Shepherd Feb 1st 2017 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12164289)
And apparently per Edmonton police statement, the officers gave the guy a break.

"the officer had grounds to lay a careless driving charge, which carries a fine of $543 and six demerit points. But because Balay was co-operative, the officer issued a lesser fine for a cracked driver's licence. "

This sounds like some comedy sketch!! its absurd... im not sure if i would have been so understanding and co operative. What a stupid over the top law.

Former Lancastrian Feb 1st 2017 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 12167901)
This sounds like some comedy sketch!! its absurd... im not sure if i would have been so understanding and co operative. What a stupid over the top law.

I don't think the law is stupid per se its the way things were handled although we haven't actually heard the officers account as opposed to the EPS statement.

Officer ; Can I see your driving licence
Driver ; Here it is
Officer ; I notice your licence has a crack in it which legally is an offence. I suggest you get it changed.
Driver ; I didn't know that I will get it changed. Chances are no ticket issued.

Driver; Its a crack whats the big deal
Officer ; Well it is an offence for which I could ticket you for
Driver ; Sure whatever its not like Im a criminal is it. Haven't you got anything better to do rather than looking for cracks in driving licences
Officer ; Here you go sir heres your ticket and it explains what you need to do next. Now you have a nice day.

Thats called common sense and not having to meet a traffic ticket quota.

Paul_Shepherd Feb 1st 2017 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12167927)
I don't think the law is stupid per se its the way things were handled although we haven't actually heard the officers account as opposed to the EPS statement.

Officer ; Can I see your driving licence
Driver ; Here it is
Officer ; I notice your licence has a crack in it which legally is an offence. I suggest you get it changed.
Driver ; I didn't know that I will get it changed. Chances are no ticket issued.

Driver; Its a crack whats the big deal
Officer ; Well it is an offence for which I could ticket you for
Driver ; Sure whatever its not like Im a criminal is it. Haven't you got anything better to do rather than looking for cracks in driving licences
Officer ; Here you go sir heres your ticket and it explains what you need to do next. Now you have a nice day.

Thats called common sense and not having to meet a traffic ticket quota.

Well if that is the account if what happened then he as good as asked for the ticket, you keep your mouth shut in those situations, why fan the flames.

Former Lancastrian Feb 1st 2017 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 12167977)
Well if that is the account if what happened then he as good as asked for the ticket, you keep your mouth shut in those situations, why fan the flames.

Its not the actual account of what happened :lol:
If you have a copper who uses common sense and a driver who shuts his gob and listens then in most cases nice things happen.
If you suggest that the officer has no mother and father and should be doing other things then in most cases nasty things will happen.

And yes I was an ex copper.

Almost Canadian Feb 1st 2017 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12167993)
If you have a copper who uses common sense and a driver who shuts his gob and listens then in most cases nice things happen.
If you suggest that the officer has no mother and father and should be doing other things then in most cases nasty things will happen.

Why should a driver have to shut up?

Are you deceased?

Former Lancastrian Feb 1st 2017 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12168060)
Why should a driver have to shut up?

Are you deceased?

Because its rude to interrupt when an officer is talking to you unless he/she wants a reply.
Well today Im alive and kicking but tomorrow might be different;)

dave_j Feb 2nd 2017 3:14 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12168070)
Because its rude to interrupt when an officer is talking to you unless he/she wants a reply.
Well today Im alive and kicking but tomorrow might be different;)

It's human nature that those with power seek to ensure that others treat them with due respect. The problem with this is that responsibility that should accompany such power is often cast aside when nobody is looking.

There are many examples of this varying in seriousness and exemplified by the well known Stanford Prison Experiment. No doubt there are some really obnoxious people out there just asking to be locked up but there are also others who are sometimes badly treated by officers who see the rest of us as smart arses who don't have anything useful to say and should keep quiet unless given leave to speak.. or else.

macadian Feb 2nd 2017 12:22 pm

I'm with Former Lancastrian on this. Very likely this driver failed the attitude test. There have been occasions when I have been pulled over for minor moving traffic offences here in Canada. Only on one occasion was I ticketed. Those other occasions I got away with a warning, in the main due to my attitude towards the officer. Common sense really but in my experience (retired police officer UK) some drivers just can't help themselves, common sense not that common. Should such decisions by officers be dependant on such? Probably not, but that's the way it is.....Most drivers have the common sense to appreciate that reality and act accordingly. I most certainly do!

Paul_Shepherd Feb 2nd 2017 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12167993)

I agree, my brother in law is a cop in the UK, and my sister works on the civilian side of the police and the front desk, i think once you have heard stories from the cops side too with what they have to deal with, then you sort of get the full picture.

For example in this case say the cop had just had to deal with an incident involving one of life's lower elements who had spat at him just for being a cop, now hes only human, so is not really going to be in the mood for more attitude and lip from the next person when all he did was point out that it was an offence to have a damaged driving licence and it needs to be addressed, there is nothing in that statement to provoke attitude.....so if they do, they may as well be saying please give me a ticket officer. Many people only see half the story, hence the attitude.