British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Would you want to know? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/would-you-want-know-927492/)

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 26th 2019 8:32 pm

Would you want to know?

Came across this article today about this study and predicting death via blood test. Early stages it appears so who knows when or if it will ever come to reality.

Apparently using bio-markers in the blood to predict risk of death within a 5-10 year window.

If such a test became reality during your lifetime would you want to know the results of said test?

I am not sure I would want to know.

https://nationalpost.com/news/new-bl...box=1566837777

macadian Aug 26th 2019 8:53 pm

Re: Would you want to know?

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12727789)
Came across this article today about this study and predicting death via blood test. Early stages it appears so who knows when or if it will ever come to reality.

Apparently using bio-markers in the blood to predict risk of death within a 5-10 year window.

If such a test became reality during your lifetime would you want to know the results of said test?

No....

Former Lancastrian Aug 26th 2019 9:08 pm

No. So you get an accurate eta of your death and then go out tomorrow and get run over by a bus and die. Isn't it better to not know when you will die rather than having an estimated fixed date.

Jerseygirl Aug 26th 2019 9:13 pm

Nada, nope, no.

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 26th 2019 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12727808)
No. So you get an accurate eta of your death and then go out tomorrow and get run over by a bus and die. Isn't it better to not know when you will die rather than having an estimated fixed date.

I agree. I wouldn't want to know, this test can't predict accidents so that is a huge variable right there.

I also would be concerned with implications such as healthcare, if such a test was used to say ration surgery or other treatments, or private insurance, the list goes on on possible uses for such information that would not be a positive.

Jerseygirl Aug 26th 2019 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12727815)
I agree. I wouldn't want to know, this test can't predict accidents so that is a huge variable right there.

I also would be concerned with implications such as healthcare, if such a test was used to say ration surgery or other treatments, or private insurance, the list goes on on possible uses for such information that would not be a positive.

Similar has been raised with full body scans and other tests that can throw up false positives. If you then apply for insurance, insurers can refuse to insure you.

JamesM Aug 26th 2019 11:37 pm

When I had my last medical at the doctor they gave me an age based on tests versus my real age. Apparently I was 40 at 38 largely because of my alcoholic intake.

I'm not convinced this stuff can be completely accurate but if the data was available I wouldn't mind knowing. It's not definitive it just may tell you that you need a lifestyle change.

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 27th 2019 12:18 am

I don't get annual routine physicals, but the doctor averages about once a year for basic blood work, mostly comes back normal for me, but doesn't give me an age based test vs real age, never heard of such a test, interesting. What the doctor does test for comes back mostly normal, liver enzymes tend to be out of range, and the doctor has a little concern for it, but its apparently not bad, and ultrasound doesn't show any issues to the liver, and I don't drink, so apparently its nothing I need to worry about.

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12727838)
When I had my last medical at the doctor they gave me an age based on tests versus my real age. Apparently I was 40 at 38 largely because of my alcoholic intake.

I'm not convinced this stuff can be completely accurate but if the data was available I wouldn't mind knowing. It's not definitive it just may tell you that you need a lifestyle change.

spouse of scouse Aug 27th 2019 12:51 am

I'd want to know. Then I'd make sure I lived longer, sue their arses for causing me emotional distress, and live on Cunard's Queen Mary for the rest of my life on the proceeds. Dreams are free :D

Jerseygirl Aug 27th 2019 1:12 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12727849)
I'd want to know. Then I'd make sure I lived longer, sue their arses for causing me emotional distress, and live on Cunard's Queen Mary for the rest of my life on the proceeds. Dreams are free :D

Unfortunately Cunard don’t allow that anymore. ;)

Paul_Shepherd Aug 27th 2019 1:13 am

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12727838)

I think if you are regular drinker as I am, I think you know you are cutting your life a little shorter, but I see it as compromise, if it gives you fun times is it that bad?.

I don't drink during the week now, as I found that was just habit and as I have to be up for work early, its just not worth it, plus it keeps the weight off. I have cut down on my intake by quite a bit, just weekends now but then they say binge drinking is worse....which usually what the weekend turns into for me! lol especially in the summer!

With the exception of drinks at weekend I live a healtly lifestyle,,,,guess most of us have a vice. All I can say is that I have had a very enjoyable summer, which would not have been the same without the alcohol.....infact it would have been pretty meh! so.....I guess we have the choice live a boring long life or a little shorter life with lots of laughs and fun times and some great memories......as long as you dont drink way too much! lol

But in answer to JS question.... with the exception of normal health checks, no I would never want to know....ignorance is bliss

BristolUK Aug 27th 2019 12:39 pm

I think it depends how long you've got. If I'm going to drop dead in 6 months - the old six months to live scenario - I think I'd like to know.

Even if that meant the sort of life you lead thereafter brings it forward :lol:

christmasoompa Aug 27th 2019 12:52 pm

Nope. My Aunt and Uncle both had/have Huntingdon's Disease which is a horrendous way to die. There is genetic testing for it, but I have no interest in having it done at all. I simply life my life to the full and enjoy it, I'd hate to know if that was coming.

Edo Aug 27th 2019 3:07 pm

Yes I would like to know. A foresight is always great for planning.

Dorothy Aug 27th 2019 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12727994)
Nope. My Aunt and Uncle both had/have Huntingdon's Disease which is a horrendous way to die. There is genetic testing for it, but I have no interest in having it done at all. I simply life my life to the full and enjoy it, I'd hate to know if that was coming.

That's awful. Of my dad's 6 siblings 4 had Huntington's disease. It's a horrible wat to die.