British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Would you? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/would-you-887358/)

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 25th 2016 7:51 pm

Re: Would you?

You would think the ministry would rather have people re-trained and working vs being on disability and have some resources to fund training for those not eligible for student loans.

BristolUK Nov 25th 2016 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12114682)
You would think the ministry would rather have people re-trained and working vs being on disability and have some resources to fund training for those not eligible for student loans.

In the UK, yes. I wouldn't have thought this a priority in North America.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 26th 2016 3:45 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12114751)
In the UK, yes. I wouldn't have thought this a priority in North America.

If they did the math, they would see it would be cheaper long term, higher earning job = more employment stability and little to no need for assistance.

They do offer single parents training options, up to 1 year of training .

Shirtback Nov 26th 2016 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12114682)

It seems this depends on what province one lives in.

Here in QC such programmes/resources exist for those on welfare/disability (although not always easy to access). I think Ontario has something similar.

DandNHill Nov 26th 2016 1:10 pm

Ontario has a "second career" option. There are only certain jobs you can train for though.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 26th 2016 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Shirtback (Post 12114990)
It seems this depends on what province one lives in.

Here in QC such programmes/resources exist for those on welfare/disability (although not always easy to access). I think Ontario has something similar.

The province does advertise possible funding, but seems difficult to actually access it.

The program I am looking at is not a huge sum compared to some, but 5,000 and some change is not exactly low enough to self pay either.

The ministry itself with disability does offer single parents on assistance and disability retraining options, but of course we are not single nor have kids.

We shall see what happens with this job center place long term. The lady my wife spoke to today really didn't make it sound like there was much option wise for funds for training.

Shirtback Nov 26th 2016 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by DandNHill (Post 12115062)
Ontario has a "second career" option. There are only certain jobs you can train for though.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12115064)
The province does advertise possible funding, but seems difficult to actually access it.

The program I am looking at is not a huge sum compared to some, but 5,000 and some change is not exactly low enough to self pay either.

The ministry itself with disability does offer single parents on assistance and disability retraining options, but of course we are not single nor have kids.

We shall see what happens with this job center place long term.

Here (Qc), & in Ontario (as DandNHill points out), the free/government-funded training programmes are not "at will". Ie: one doesn't choose any possible training one wants to do then apply; one looks at what's offered at no cost, & then chooses from those limited options, & is referred/recommended for the programme...

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 26th 2016 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Shirtback (Post 12115070)
Here (Qc), & in Ontario (as DandNHill points out), the free/government-funded training programmes are not "at will". Ie: one doesn't choose any possible training one wants to do then apply; one looks at what's offered at no cost, & then chooses from those limited options, & is referred/recommended for the programme...

They haven't offered or mentioned anything such as that either, really not sure I qualify for anything at all.

At this point not sure there are any options left, can't get student loans, too poor to self pay, and not employable with my current no skills/education, and such I really think I have no options left job wise, nobody hires unskilled people anymore at a decent wage.

If I could get training in something, I would probably be working right now.

Shirtback Nov 26th 2016 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12115071)
They haven't offered or mentioned anything such as that either, really not sure I qualify for anything at all.

At this point not sure there are any options left, can't get student loans, too poor to self pay, and not employable with my current no skills/education, and such I really think I have no options left job wise, nobody hires unskilled people anymore at a decent wage.

If I could get training in something, I would probably be working right now.

Well, it's your call, in the end. Given the choice of working/not working I'd take a minimum wage job (& have done so in the past). Even if it's not a job I'd like or want to do.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 26th 2016 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Shirtback (Post 12115075)
Well, it's your call, in the end. Given the choice of working/not working I'd take a minimum wage job (& have done so in the past). Even if it's not a job I'd like or want to do.

I can't get a job, I have no skills of any sort that is of any use and have not had 1 interview locally in almost a year. A few interviews closer to Vancouver but can't exactly commute 100+km for min wage or close to it, if it were financially doable, I would have taken the airport job which was the subject of the original post question.

I have even been applying for jobs on the US side near the border and can't even get interviews there. I was hoping that by looking for jobs in both countries it would improve my chances of finding something.

Oh well. at the end of the day, without mental health treatment, I will never hold a job long term but only those with good jobs and income can afford DBT since its not covered by provincial health. My moods and emotions are too roller coaster hour to hour, minute to minute for most people to handle, which is why I lose jobs so often. I also have no references, no long term employment, significant employment gaps with no explanation I can give to an employer.

People can't have a functioning life with mental health issues if they cannot get appropriate treatment. One minute I will have goals to move on with a life, the next I am so down, I don't even want to live and nearly everything in between.

I do what I can self help wise, but really I am beyond being able to fix it all on my own with just self help.

Shirtback Nov 26th 2016 2:54 pm

JS:

- there is free/low-cost mental health treatment available in your area. It might not be one-on-one DBT that you wish you could get, but it's there.

- There are also jobs available in your local area for which you DO have skills/experience, or which you could do without skills/experience (which btw you DO have).

I feel like a broken record :(. Mental health problems are a biatch :(

JamesM Nov 26th 2016 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12103320)
Would you drive 1hr 20 mins to 1hr 30mins one way for a job that is 11.35/hr?

Its a job I would enjoy doing, but the commute isn't exactly short.

I've also only done it so far after and before rush hour, so not sure how long it will take during rush hour.

It's union, so they will deduct $55 per check for union dues.

Its 110km roughly each way.

1/2 tank of gas per day roughly which is $17 approx at today's rates.

Moving isn't an option until end of January, and up in the air if we could find something closer in our price range that is pet friendly, but we would look and try to move closer, but because of high rents in that area, moving could possibly not be an option, would depend on what happens to be available Feb 1.

While I would like the job itself, not sure it makes much financial sense to do it?

Too longer commute mate. Don't do it.

I did it in my early 20's for a job because I needed the experience and couldn't afford to rent in the area.

The problem is I think it's bad for your health and mental well being. I also think that it could be a little dangerous because you'll find you are driving tired a lot.

Also the price of fuel I think will move up eventually.

Just my two pence.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 26th 2016 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Shirtback (Post 12115111)
JS:

- there is free/low-cost mental health treatment available in your area. It might not be one-on-one DBT that you wish you could get, but it's there.

- There are also jobs available in your local area for which you DO have skills/experience, or which you could do without skills/experience (which btw you DO have).

I feel like a broken record :(. Mental health problems are a biatch :(

I haven't been offered any low cost DBT locally or even found any. The therapist I was seeing over the summer is DBT trained and does groups for child services, but she was not aware of any adult programs. (only reason I stopped seeing the therapist is due to cost, just couldn't afford it twice a month.)

I have gone to generic mental health groups, haven't found them very helpful though, which is why accessing DBT is so vital, it has been shown in studies to improve the lives of borderline patients and likely my only chance at any improvement in life. The cognitive behavioral groups I have been through have not really helped much. I have learned some things but overall I haven't in the years of doing CBT based therapies found much relief in symptoms or learned the skills necessary to regulate emotions, and the emotional up's ans downs are what do me in every time.

I do what I can with what I can get, but it's not always the appropriate treatment for the issues at hand.

Yes there are jobs locally, however I never get interviews locally, I do apply for jobs locally though. I even applied at Costco 30 mins away.

It is what it is.

BEVS Nov 27th 2016 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 12104809)
I would add to my last post, GT Hiring Solutions have employment councillors that can assist in resume prep for a psecific job, they have offices candidates can use, loads of resources. Definitely worth a visit.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12104855)
I am going to stop into their office this week and inquire with them.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
We went today. The case workers were all busy, but they said someone will call with an appointment next week, we signed up and filled out all the paperwork though.

So. How did this go. I have been waiting to hear.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 27th 2016 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12115898)
So. How did this go. I have been waiting to hear.

I have my appointment tomorrow with the case worker. My wife had hers last week, the case worker she had said they don't really have funding options for retraining but can help with resumes, be your cheer leader and offer some workshops and other services like online access for job searching, printer and fax access and so on. My wife was assessed as needing upgrading in skills/training to be competitive in the job market. My wife has more useful work experience and education, so I am sure I would be assessed pretty much the same.

Some workshops are things like:

Self Esteem, Disclosing disabilities, resumes, personality dimensions. (Those are the ones offered in December anyhow. In November they had the same, but also had one on interview skills.

Looks like each workshop is 2-3 hours in length with one being 7 hours and one 4 hours.

I'll go to some of the workshops if offered to me as well, some sound helpful.

But I will know more tomorrow when I have my appointment with a different case manager.