British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Would you? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/would-you-887358/)

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 12th 2016 9:23 pm

Would you?

Would you drive 1hr 20 mins to 1hr 30mins one way for a job that is 11.35/hr?

Its a job I would enjoy doing, but the commute isn't exactly short.

I've also only done it so far after and before rush hour, so not sure how long it will take during rush hour.

It's union, so they will deduct $55 per check for union dues.

Its 110km roughly each way.

1/2 tank of gas per day roughly which is $17 approx at today's rates.

Moving isn't an option until end of January, and up in the air if we could find something closer in our price range that is pet friendly, but we would look and try to move closer, but because of high rents in that area, moving could possibly not be an option, would depend on what happens to be available Feb 1.

While I would like the job itself, not sure it makes much financial sense to do it?

Oink Nov 12th 2016 9:45 pm

Re: Would you?

Only if it would lead to a pathway to good advancement in a career that you are passionate about.

plasticcanuck Nov 12th 2016 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12103320)
Would you drive 1hr 20 mins to 1hr 30mins one way for a job that is 11.35/hr?

Its a job I would enjoy doing, but the commute isn't exactly short.

I've also only done it so far after and before rush hour, so not sure how long it will take during rush hour.

It's union, so they will deduct $55 per check for union dues.

Its 110km roughly each way.

1/2 tank of gas per day roughly which is $17 approx at today's rates.

Moving isn't an option until end of January, and up in the air if we could find something closer in our price range that is pet friendly, but we would look and try to move closer, but because of high rents in that area, moving could possibly not be an option, would depend on what happens to be available Feb 1.

While I would like the job itself, not sure it makes much financial sense to do it?

You would soon become disenchanted given the length and conditions of the commute vs your net pay cheque.

Stinkypup Nov 12th 2016 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12103345)
Only if it would lead to a pathway to good advancement in a career that you are passionate about.

:goodpost:

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck (Post 12103348)
You would soon become disenchanted given the length and conditions of the commute vs your net pay cheque.

If it is a means to an end of getting the experience then go for it. Short term pain for longer term gain. I see this wouldn't be every day as you would be part time. Ultimately only you can answer that question, we can't decide it for you JS

caretaker Nov 12th 2016 10:08 pm

I can decide it, don't do it. It would be like you've already worked an hour and a half before you even get to work.

BristolUK Nov 12th 2016 10:18 pm

Does it give you more money by doing it than not doing it?

...make you more likely to get credit by working?

...take you "out of the house"?

Will it help you sleep better, having worked?

...stand you in better stead with prospective landlords?

Give you something else to look at other than all that rain? :sneaky:

...any health benefits?

Is there anything that comes with Union membership that maybe you don't know about like preferential insurance rates or other discounts, free legal advice...?

Is there a pay rise after time in the job?

If any are 'Yes' do they outnumber the Nos?

Does the fact that the job appeals to you make a difference?

Other than taking your presence away from BE, are there any downsides? ;)

Remember this is you not others for whom these amounts might be their bar bill. :nod:

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 12th 2016 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 12103353)
:goodpost:

If it is a means to an end of getting the experience then go for it. Short term pain for longer term gain. I see this wouldn't be every day as you would be part time. Ultimately only you can answer that question, we can't decide it for you JS

Yes indeed only I can decide, I do like hearing others thoughts on something however when making decisions. But yes in the end only I can decide.

Unsure how far it could go long term.

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12103366)
Does it give you more money by doing it than not doing it?

...make you more likely to get credit by working?

Possibly

...take you "out of the house"?

Of course

Will it help you sleep better, having worked?

Maybe

...stand you in better stead with prospective landlords?

Maybe, but landlords still dont like to have their income known by disability...Working won't remove that hurdle

Give you something else to look at other than all that rain? :sneaky:

Yes, working in the rain. :)

...any health benefits?

Not directly. They provide 50% coverage of your BC medical premiums, we don't have to pay premiums, so this would not benefit us.

RRSP matching is offered after 2 years of employment, they will match up to $60 per month.

After 1 year you may get up to 5 sick days. (requires a doctors note saying you were ill.)

Is there anything that comes with Union membership that maybe you don't know about like preferential insurance rates or other discounts, free legal advice...?

No idea there.

Is there a pay rise after time in the job?

Based on current contract which is currently being re-negotiated.

After 12 mos - 11.64

24 mos 12.64

36 mos 13.65

48 mos 14.26

60 mos 14.97

72 mos 15.25

84 mos 15.81

96 mos 16.26

96 mos is current top out pay.

Add 3.00/hr if a team leader.

If any are 'Yes' do they outnumber the Nos?

Does the fact that the job appeals to you make a difference?

Yes. Makes me think about doing it simple because it appeals to me, the commute however is a major concern.

Other than taking your presence away from BE, are there any downsides? ;)

The commute, which depending on traffic can be hell during certain times of the day.

Remember this is you not others for whom these amounts might be their bar bill. :nod:

Thanks for the responses and opinions. I've got a week to think about it all and decide.

DandNHill Nov 12th 2016 11:49 pm

That's a lot of kms in the winter months. Also a lot of wear and tear on your car - not to mention on you.
Isn't the cost of running a car something like $0.42/km? So 220km/day costs you $92/day just to run your car... How much money does that leave you?

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 13th 2016 12:11 am

Originally Posted by DandNHill (Post 12103420)
That's a lot of kms in the winter months. Also a lot of wear and tear on your car - not to mention on you.
Isn't the cost of running a car something like $0.42/km? So 220km/day costs you $92/day just to run your car... How much money does that leave you?

Apparently 0.41/km according the link below for our car.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 13th 2016 12:17 am

Because of how disability works and having exceeded our exemption, after the gas and only gas is accounted for, we would be worse off if I take the job.

Suppose that answers the question...

BristolUK Nov 13th 2016 12:53 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12103418)
Not directly. They provide 50% coverage of your BC medical premiums, we don't have to pay premiums, so this would not benefit us.

Now this I don't know. I did mean for drug coverage (or massages as it is for some people:lol:) but no matter.

I have seen that premiums are income related. Are you not paying premiums currently because of disability or income?

If because of income and your income went up from the wages, maybe premiums would go up too...in which case that 50% would cut them back?

This might seem a little trite but have you ever been in a situation (or heard of one) where something seems hard to get - this could be a girlfriend, money etc - and then finally you get it...and then further opportunities arise?

A few weeks ago you mentioned an interview. Is this job possibility from that interview or was there a different job and a different interview? Two different interviews?

Either way, having this job, whatever the difficulties might produce more and better opportunities.

So, those annual pay rises...that's an extra $20 a week each year or $86 calendar monthly for every extra year. $170 a month more in two years time.

magnumpi Nov 13th 2016 12:55 am

I have to do that distance next week. Going east from my house so traffic ain't to bad. Will take me about an hour an acceptable commute IMO

DandNHill Nov 13th 2016 4:45 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12103426)
Because of how disability works and having exceeded our exemption, after the gas and only gas is accounted for, we would be worse off if I take the job.

Suppose that answers the question...

I would say so. Hopefully you will find something closer to home that appeals? 😊

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 13th 2016 5:39 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12103446)
Now this I don't know. I did mean for drug coverage (or massages as it is for some people:lol:) but no matter.

I knew what you mean, extended benefits, just they don't offer extended benefit plan, just a partial MSP premium cover.

I have seen that premiums are income related. Are you not paying premiums currently because of disability or income?

If because of income and your income went up from the wages, maybe premiums would go up too...in which case that 50% would cut them back?

This might seem a little trite but have you ever been in a situation (or heard of one) where something seems hard to get - this could be a girlfriend, money etc - and then finally you get it...and then further opportunities arise?

A few weeks ago you mentioned an interview. Is this job possibility from that interview or was there a different job and a different interview? Two different interviews?

This is a different one, not mentioned previously

Either way, having this job, whatever the difficulties might produce more and better opportunities.

So, those annual pay rises...that's an extra $20 a week each year or $86 calendar monthly for every extra year. $170 a month more in two years time.

I know it could be a good sign, however I didn't deduct the gas needed from after tax income, and once you account for the gas cost, there is not enough left over to pay the other bills.

Gas would run about 350/month leaving about 1,200 out of the after tax income, and rent alone is 900.

I admit I didn't closely do the math for the gas before considering, I should have and gas cost makes this commute not doable at that pay level.

caretaker Nov 13th 2016 8:50 am

I had a 45 mile commute once from a small town, all highway, one big valley and a few curves, boring and hard to like. I had another that was 38 miles, 2 grid roads, a secondary highway, 8 miles down the valley to a main highway and the city. Hit it when traffic is high in town and it could still mean an hour to get to work, but it was a scenic drive and not as tiring as the other one.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 13th 2016 10:10 am

Longest I ever had was about 70 miles and all but 2 miles on each end being on an interstate highway.

Which is about the same as the one I am thinking of however gas back then was 1.20 per gallon vs 1.10 per liter so the gas price now is quite a bit more.

Took an hour.

Gas back then was cheap though. Was around 2002 year wise and in the US.

Longest in Canada was 40 miles or so to Whistler. Pretty commute but stressful as the highway sucks in winter.

The rest were all 2 to 20 miles on average.

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12103614)
I had a 45 mile commute once from a small town, all highway, one big valley and a few curves, boring and hard to like. I had another that was 38 miles, 2 grid roads, a secondary highway, 8 miles down the valley to a main highway and the city. Hit it when traffic is high in town and it could still mean an hour to get to work, but it was a scenic drive and not as tiring as the other one.

BristolUK Nov 13th 2016 12:49 pm

Well if that's two interviews you had recently that sounds like an improvement on previously. :thumbup:

A few weeks back you were doing something with your résumé. Did you actually produce a new version and getting the interviews came after the change?

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 13th 2016 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12103758)
Well if that's two interviews you had recently that sounds like an improvement on previously. :thumbup:

A few weeks back you were doing something with your résumé. Did you actually produce a new version and getting the interviews came after the change?

A poster on here nicely helped me create a new resume. (I wont post their name as I don't know if they would want me to.) and since then I have not applied to many jobs, but I have gotten an interview at 50% of the places I have applied to.

BristolUK Nov 13th 2016 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12103927)
since then I have not applied to many jobs, but I have gotten an interview at 50% of the places I have applied to.

:thumbsup:

Zoe Bell Nov 13th 2016 9:33 pm

I'm glad to hear that you are getting interviews. That's half the battle.
Job seeking can be soul destroying at times. Try not to take anything personally

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 13th 2016 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12103945)
:thumbsup:

Certainly an improvement. I don't think I could have created an effective resume, so I am appreciative of the person who helped me, could not have done with without the help.

Now just have to find the way to a job that maybe pays 20/hr....;)

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 12104024)
I'm glad to hear that you are getting interviews. That's half the battle.
Job seeking can be soul destroying at times. Try not to take anything personally

I try not to, easier said then done though. I tend to take everything very personal, but I do my best not to let it bug me.

Aviator Nov 13th 2016 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12104048)
Certainly an improvement. I don't think I could have created an effective resume, so I am appreciative of the person who helped me, could not have done with without the help.

Now just have to find the way to a job that maybe pays 20/hr....;)

I try not to, easier said then done though. I tend to take everything very personal, but I do my best not to let it bug me.

What work are you looking for? You still at the east end of the valley?

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 14th 2016 12:08 am

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 12104064)
What work are you looking for? You still at the east end of the valley?

Something part time 20-25 hours/week would be the ideal.

Yep still at the end of the valley.....

quiltman Nov 14th 2016 12:55 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12103927)
A poster on here nicely helped me create a new resume. (I wont post their name as I don't know if they would want me to.) and since then I have not applied to many jobs, but I have gotten an interview at 50% of the places I have applied to.

BE folks are very helpful aren't they? If anyone else has a need to amend their resume can they PM you for the helpers details?

Aviator Nov 14th 2016 4:39 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12104109)
Something part time 20-25 hours/week would be the ideal.

Yep still at the end of the valley.....

Have you tried looking at GT Hiring Solutions, they have a book of open jobs. They also have some job seeker courses that are no charge to some.

Aviator Nov 14th 2016 6:13 pm

I would add to my last post, GT Hiring Solutions have employment councillors that can assist in resume prep for a psecific job, they have offices candidates can use, loads of resources. Definitely worth a visit.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 14th 2016 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 12104809)
I would add to my last post, GT Hiring Solutions have employment councillors that can assist in resume prep for a psecific job, they have offices candidates can use, loads of resources. Definitely worth a visit.

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 12104229)
Have you tried looking at GT Hiring Solutions, they have a book of open jobs. They also have some job seeker courses that are no charge to some.

I am going to stop into their office this week and inquire with them.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 16th 2016 5:57 pm

Having spent some time looking around at available rentals closer into the city and going rents, we have decided it's best not to do the commute since there doesn't appear to be a very good chance at something rental wise opening up in our price affordability range and the commute is just too far to do on a daily basis for so little pay and the car would wear out faster, etc.

Plus with me being gone for 12+ hours per day with the car, my wife would be stuck and making her appointments would be difficult/impossible without a car, so its just not feasible either. She can't be without a car everyday of the week nearly.

I only considered it due to the job type, for any other job, I would not have even considered it.

caretaker Nov 16th 2016 8:54 pm

If I was you I'd be fishing the dayights out of the river. Ask around and find some access where you can fish and I'll bring you some tackle next year. People come from all over the world to catch the salmon there.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 18th 2016 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 12104229)

We went today. The case workers were all busy, but they said someone will call with an appointment next week, we signed up and filled out all the paperwork though.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 25th 2016 7:51 pm

You would think the ministry would rather have people re-trained and working vs being on disability and have some resources to fund training for those not eligible for student loans.

BristolUK Nov 25th 2016 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12114682)
You would think the ministry would rather have people re-trained and working vs being on disability and have some resources to fund training for those not eligible for student loans.

In the UK, yes. I wouldn't have thought this a priority in North America.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 26th 2016 3:45 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12114751)
In the UK, yes. I wouldn't have thought this a priority in North America.

If they did the math, they would see it would be cheaper long term, higher earning job = more employment stability and little to no need for assistance.

They do offer single parents training options, up to 1 year of training .

Shirtback Nov 26th 2016 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12114682)

It seems this depends on what province one lives in.

Here in QC such programmes/resources exist for those on welfare/disability (although not always easy to access). I think Ontario has something similar.

DandNHill Nov 26th 2016 1:10 pm

Ontario has a "second career" option. There are only certain jobs you can train for though.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 26th 2016 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Shirtback (Post 12114990)
It seems this depends on what province one lives in.

Here in QC such programmes/resources exist for those on welfare/disability (although not always easy to access). I think Ontario has something similar.

The province does advertise possible funding, but seems difficult to actually access it.

The program I am looking at is not a huge sum compared to some, but 5,000 and some change is not exactly low enough to self pay either.

The ministry itself with disability does offer single parents on assistance and disability retraining options, but of course we are not single nor have kids.

We shall see what happens with this job center place long term. The lady my wife spoke to today really didn't make it sound like there was much option wise for funds for training.

Shirtback Nov 26th 2016 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by DandNHill (Post 12115062)
Ontario has a "second career" option. There are only certain jobs you can train for though.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12115064)
The province does advertise possible funding, but seems difficult to actually access it.

The program I am looking at is not a huge sum compared to some, but 5,000 and some change is not exactly low enough to self pay either.

The ministry itself with disability does offer single parents on assistance and disability retraining options, but of course we are not single nor have kids.

We shall see what happens with this job center place long term.

Here (Qc), & in Ontario (as DandNHill points out), the free/government-funded training programmes are not "at will". Ie: one doesn't choose any possible training one wants to do then apply; one looks at what's offered at no cost, & then chooses from those limited options, & is referred/recommended for the programme...

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 26th 2016 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Shirtback (Post 12115070)
Here (Qc), & in Ontario (as DandNHill points out), the free/government-funded training programmes are not "at will". Ie: one doesn't choose any possible training one wants to do then apply; one looks at what's offered at no cost, & then chooses from those limited options, & is referred/recommended for the programme...

They haven't offered or mentioned anything such as that either, really not sure I qualify for anything at all.

At this point not sure there are any options left, can't get student loans, too poor to self pay, and not employable with my current no skills/education, and such I really think I have no options left job wise, nobody hires unskilled people anymore at a decent wage.

If I could get training in something, I would probably be working right now.

Shirtback Nov 26th 2016 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12115071)
They haven't offered or mentioned anything such as that either, really not sure I qualify for anything at all.

At this point not sure there are any options left, can't get student loans, too poor to self pay, and not employable with my current no skills/education, and such I really think I have no options left job wise, nobody hires unskilled people anymore at a decent wage.

If I could get training in something, I would probably be working right now.

Well, it's your call, in the end. Given the choice of working/not working I'd take a minimum wage job (& have done so in the past). Even if it's not a job I'd like or want to do.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 26th 2016 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Shirtback (Post 12115075)
Well, it's your call, in the end. Given the choice of working/not working I'd take a minimum wage job (& have done so in the past). Even if it's not a job I'd like or want to do.

I can't get a job, I have no skills of any sort that is of any use and have not had 1 interview locally in almost a year. A few interviews closer to Vancouver but can't exactly commute 100+km for min wage or close to it, if it were financially doable, I would have taken the airport job which was the subject of the original post question.

I have even been applying for jobs on the US side near the border and can't even get interviews there. I was hoping that by looking for jobs in both countries it would improve my chances of finding something.

Oh well. at the end of the day, without mental health treatment, I will never hold a job long term but only those with good jobs and income can afford DBT since its not covered by provincial health. My moods and emotions are too roller coaster hour to hour, minute to minute for most people to handle, which is why I lose jobs so often. I also have no references, no long term employment, significant employment gaps with no explanation I can give to an employer.

People can't have a functioning life with mental health issues if they cannot get appropriate treatment. One minute I will have goals to move on with a life, the next I am so down, I don't even want to live and nearly everything in between.

I do what I can self help wise, but really I am beyond being able to fix it all on my own with just self help.