Would you?

Old Nov 12th 2016, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Would you?

Would you drive 1hr 20 mins to 1hr 30mins one way for a job that is 11.35/hr?

Its a job I would enjoy doing, but the commute isn't exactly short.

I've also only done it so far after and before rush hour, so not sure how long it will take during rush hour.

It's union, so they will deduct $55 per check for union dues.

Its 110km roughly each way.

1/2 tank of gas per day roughly which is $17 approx at today's rates.

Moving isn't an option until end of January, and up in the air if we could find something closer in our price range that is pet friendly, but we would look and try to move closer, but because of high rents in that area, moving could possibly not be an option, would depend on what happens to be available Feb 1.

While I would like the job itself, not sure it makes much financial sense to do it?

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 12th 2016 at 9:27 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 9:45 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you?

Only if it would lead to a pathway to good advancement in a career that you are passionate about.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Would you drive 1hr 20 mins to 1hr 30mins one way for a job that is 11.35/hr?

Its a job I would enjoy doing, but the commute isn't exactly short.

I've also only done it so far after and before rush hour, so not sure how long it will take during rush hour.

It's union, so they will deduct $55 per check for union dues.

Its 110km roughly each way.

1/2 tank of gas per day roughly which is $17 approx at today's rates.

Moving isn't an option until end of January, and up in the air if we could find something closer in our price range that is pet friendly, but we would look and try to move closer, but because of high rents in that area, moving could possibly not be an option, would depend on what happens to be available Feb 1.

While I would like the job itself, not sure it makes much financial sense to do it?
You would soon become disenchanted given the length and conditions of the commute vs your net pay cheque.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 10:02 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Only if it would lead to a pathway to good advancement in a career that you are passionate about.

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
You would soon become disenchanted given the length and conditions of the commute vs your net pay cheque.
If it is a means to an end of getting the experience then go for it. Short term pain for longer term gain. I see this wouldn't be every day as you would be part time. Ultimately only you can answer that question, we can't decide it for you JS

Last edited by Stinkypup; Nov 12th 2016 at 10:04 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 10:08 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I can decide it, don't do it. It would be like you've already worked an hour and a half before you even get to work.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 10:18 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Does it give you more money by doing it than not doing it?

...make you more likely to get credit by working?

...take you "out of the house"?

Will it help you sleep better, having worked?

...stand you in better stead with prospective landlords?

Give you something else to look at other than all that rain?

...any health benefits?

Is there anything that comes with Union membership that maybe you don't know about like preferential insurance rates or other discounts, free legal advice...?

Is there a pay rise after time in the job?

If any are 'Yes' do they outnumber the Nos?

Does the fact that the job appeals to you make a difference?

Other than taking your presence away from BE, are there any downsides?

Remember this is you not others for whom these amounts might be their bar bill.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 11:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup

If it is a means to an end of getting the experience then go for it. Short term pain for longer term gain. I see this wouldn't be every day as you would be part time. Ultimately only you can answer that question, we can't decide it for you JS

Yes indeed only I can decide, I do like hearing others thoughts on something however when making decisions. But yes in the end only I can decide.

Unsure how far it could go long term.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Does it give you more money by doing it than not doing it?

...make you more likely to get credit by working?

Possibly

...take you "out of the house"?

Of course

Will it help you sleep better, having worked?

Maybe

...stand you in better stead with prospective landlords?

Maybe, but landlords still dont like to have their income known by disability...Working won't remove that hurdle

Give you something else to look at other than all that rain?

Yes, working in the rain.

...any health benefits?

Not directly. They provide 50% coverage of your BC medical premiums, we don't have to pay premiums, so this would not benefit us.

RRSP matching is offered after 2 years of employment, they will match up to $60 per month.

After 1 year you may get up to 5 sick days. (requires a doctors note saying you were ill.)

Is there anything that comes with Union membership that maybe you don't know about like preferential insurance rates or other discounts, free legal advice...?

No idea there.

Is there a pay rise after time in the job?

Based on current contract which is currently being re-negotiated.

After 12 mos - 11.64

24 mos 12.64

36 mos 13.65

48 mos 14.26

60 mos 14.97

72 mos 15.25

84 mos 15.81

96 mos 16.26

96 mos is current top out pay.

Add 3.00/hr if a team leader.

If any are 'Yes' do they outnumber the Nos?

Does the fact that the job appeals to you make a difference?

Yes. Makes me think about doing it simple because it appeals to me, the commute however is a major concern.

Other than taking your presence away from BE, are there any downsides?

The commute, which depending on traffic can be hell during certain times of the day.

Remember this is you not others for whom these amounts might be their bar bill.

Thanks for the responses and opinions. I've got a week to think about it all and decide.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

That's a lot of kms in the winter months. Also a lot of wear and tear on your car - not to mention on you.
Isn't the cost of running a car something like $0.42/km? So 220km/day costs you $92/day just to run your car... How much money does that leave you?
Old Nov 13th 2016, 12:11 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DandNHill
That's a lot of kms in the winter months. Also a lot of wear and tear on your car - not to mention on you.
Isn't the cost of running a car something like $0.42/km? So 220km/day costs you $92/day just to run your car... How much money does that leave you?
Apparently 0.41/km according the link below for our car.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 12:17 am
Account Closed

Because of how disability works and having exceeded our exemption, after the gas and only gas is accounted for, we would be worse off if I take the job.

Suppose that answers the question...
Old Nov 13th 2016, 12:53 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Not directly. They provide 50% coverage of your BC medical premiums, we don't have to pay premiums, so this would not benefit us.
Now this I don't know. I did mean for drug coverage (or massages as it is for some people) but no matter.

I have seen that premiums are income related. Are you not paying premiums currently because of disability or income?

If because of income and your income went up from the wages, maybe premiums would go up too...in which case that 50% would cut them back?

This might seem a little trite but have you ever been in a situation (or heard of one) where something seems hard to get - this could be a girlfriend, money etc - and then finally you get it...and then further opportunities arise?

A few weeks ago you mentioned an interview. Is this job possibility from that interview or was there a different job and a different interview? Two different interviews?

Either way, having this job, whatever the difficulties might produce more and better opportunities.

So, those annual pay rises...that's an extra $20 a week each year or $86 calendar monthly for every extra year. $170 a month more in two years time.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 12:55 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

I have to do that distance next week. Going east from my house so traffic ain't to bad. Will take me about an hour an acceptable commute IMO
Old Nov 13th 2016, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Because of how disability works and having exceeded our exemption, after the gas and only gas is accounted for, we would be worse off if I take the job.

Suppose that answers the question...
I would say so. Hopefully you will find something closer to home that appeals? 😊
Old Nov 13th 2016, 5:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Now this I don't know. I did mean for drug coverage (or massages as it is for some people) but no matter.

I knew what you mean, extended benefits, just they don't offer extended benefit plan, just a partial MSP premium cover.

I have seen that premiums are income related. Are you not paying premiums currently because of disability or income?

If because of income and your income went up from the wages, maybe premiums would go up too...in which case that 50% would cut them back?

This might seem a little trite but have you ever been in a situation (or heard of one) where something seems hard to get - this could be a girlfriend, money etc - and then finally you get it...and then further opportunities arise?

A few weeks ago you mentioned an interview. Is this job possibility from that interview or was there a different job and a different interview? Two different interviews?

This is a different one, not mentioned previously

Either way, having this job, whatever the difficulties might produce more and better opportunities.

So, those annual pay rises...that's an extra $20 a week each year or $86 calendar monthly for every extra year. $170 a month more in two years time.
I know it could be a good sign, however I didn't deduct the gas needed from after tax income, and once you account for the gas cost, there is not enough left over to pay the other bills.

Gas would run about 350/month leaving about 1,200 out of the after tax income, and rent alone is 900.

I admit I didn't closely do the math for the gas before considering, I should have and gas cost makes this commute not doable at that pay level.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 13th 2016 at 5:45 am.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 8:50 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I had a 45 mile commute once from a small town, all highway, one big valley and a few curves, boring and hard to like. I had another that was 38 miles, 2 grid roads, a secondary highway, 8 miles down the valley to a main highway and the city. Hit it when traffic is high in town and it could still mean an hour to get to work, but it was a scenic drive and not as tiring as the other one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.