British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   wot no orange squash!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/wot-no-orange-squash-593548/)

yellowbelly Feb 23rd 2009 8:32 pm

wot no orange squash!!

Can anyone Please tell us what the Canadians give their children to drink as it appears that you can't buy orange cordial. Something to do with its ingredients! We don't want to give them fizzy stuff or fruit shoots that are full of sugar when we get over there.

Thought about bringing some over but when it run's out then what?

Bill_S Feb 23rd 2009 8:34 pm

Re: wot no orange squash!!

:confused: How about milk?

Mistress Miggins Feb 23rd 2009 8:36 pm

If you look in the freezer section there are cans of squished fruit that you add water to, then you make up a jug of really nice juice. I miss Robinson's squash, but my kids are in tiny school classes, so that helps:p

The cans are about a dollar usually, and they sell Ribena here for about $7 in Walmart, (or at least that was the last time I looked)

Hope that helps:rofl:

Ms M x

Greenhill Feb 23rd 2009 8:39 pm

Try blackcurrant/pomegranate cocktail or any grape or cranberry juice - lots of juice variety here so I'm sure you'll find something they like.

Originally Posted by yellowbelly (Post 7315338)
Can anyone Please tell us what the Canadians give their children to drink as it appears that you can't buy orange cordial. Something to do with its ingredients! We don't want to give them fizzy stuff or fruit shoots that are full of sugar when we get over there.

Auld Yin Feb 23rd 2009 8:39 pm

Be a special Mum and make your own:-

http://melissagoodsell.typepad.com/d...e-cordial.html

lucieg Feb 23rd 2009 8:40 pm

lmao I regularly moan about this too and I'm 26!

I did find Ribena though...costs a bomb but it's worth it :)

R I C H Feb 23rd 2009 8:43 pm

My local Safeway sells orange and lemon squash.

Littletashy Feb 23rd 2009 8:44 pm

Safeway sell orange and lemon squash (Cant remember the name of it, sorry) that you make up, but its $4.99 a bottle and my kids are not that impressed, but maybe thats cos I dilute it to much:eek: In my safeway its in the same isle as the non alcoholic beer and the mixers.
The stuff you get in the freezer section is very good my kids love it especially when it is hot out, The strange powdered stuff thats available is of colours that stain and I am sure Illegal in the UK...lol.

Steve_P Feb 23rd 2009 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 7315389)
My local Safeway sells orange and lemon squash.

Originally Posted by Littletashy (Post 7315392)
Safeway sell orange and lemon squash (Cant remember the name of it, sorry) that you make up, but its $4.99 a bottle and my kids are not that impressed, but maybe thats cos I dilute it to much:eek: In my safeway its in the same isle as the non alcoholic beer and the mixers.
The stuff you get in the freezer section is very good my kids love it especially when it is hot out, The strange powdered stuff thats available is of colours that stain and I am sure Illegal in the UK...lol.

Granthams and it's in with the drink mixers. :D

Steve_P Feb 23rd 2009 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by lucieg (Post 7315377)
lmao I regularly moan about this too and I'm 26!

I did find Ribena though...costs a bomb but it's worth it :)

I thought I saw Ribena at Costco not 100% sure.

If it's there it should be a little cheaper than the regular grocery stores.

Littletashy Feb 23rd 2009 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_P (Post 7315402)

The costco near Ikea dont seem to sell it anymore, but they do sell a different dilutable blackcurrent squash.

lucieg Feb 23rd 2009 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_P (Post 7315402)

I can get it in my local loblaws and I think for those near downtown Toronto you can get it for an even better price in chinatown.

yellowbelly Feb 23rd 2009 8:53 pm

Thanks for the replies. We'll sit the young ones down and have a tasting session.

I remember when I was younger my mum used to buy an orange powder mix called APEAL it was nice can't seem to buy it anymore:confused:

iaink Feb 23rd 2009 8:54 pm

COOL AID and (Frozen) FRUIT PUNCH

The reason for north american fridge sizes;)

At least with Cool Aid you control how much sugar is in it, and with Fruit punch it actually contains some fruit juice content.

My own kids drink mostly watered down fruit juice...apple, grape, peach, blueberry etc.

I make a lemon squash in the summer...works well with Vodka too:sneaky:

Bill_S Feb 23rd 2009 8:55 pm

I'm reporting all you lot to the Milk Marketing Board :frown: