Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Worst suburb in Greater Vancouver/GTA

Worst suburb in Greater Vancouver/GTA

Old Aug 21st 2012, 6:33 pm
  #106  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 850
foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worst suburb in Greater Vancouver/GTA

Originally Posted by el_richo
Yep, we did. You have to do what you feel comfortable with.
What about this area - any good?
http://rentitfurnished.com/english-b...-plaza-delmar/
foreigngirl is offline  
Old Aug 21st 2012, 6:36 pm
  #107  
Beep
 
el_richo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Here
Posts: 8,311
el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worst suburb in Greater Vancouver/GTA

Originally Posted by foreigngirl
Yep that's the west end. 5 mins from downtown centre and next to the beach. It's ok.
el_richo is offline  
Old Aug 21st 2012, 7:23 pm
  #108  
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 14,227
Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worst suburb in Greater Vancouver/GTA

Originally Posted by foreigngirl
You are right to be as concerned. I know everyone says that everywhere in Vancouver is perfectly ok to live in apart from a few notorious places and that you shouldn't over-think this, but they are wrong. If you don't spend a lot of time considering these things, you might end up in the DTES by accident and you wouldn't want that.
Alan2005 is offline  
Old Aug 21st 2012, 10:58 pm
  #109  
Banned
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Durham Region Extension
Posts: 3,342
ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worst suburb in Greater Vancouver/GTA

Originally Posted by foreigngirl
Wow....there are mortgages cheaper than for a bigger home
ultrarunner is offline  
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 1:20 am
  #110  
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,088
Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worst suburb in Greater Vancouver/GTA

Originally Posted by Alan2005
It's true. Other people are annoying <shakes fist at other people>
only people on here seem to annoy me
Boy d is offline  
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 1:27 am
  #111  
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,088
Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worst suburb in Greater Vancouver/GTA

Originally Posted by foreigngirl
Thank you so much.
I've been on Craigslist every day, putting 'Coal Harbour' or 'False Creek' into the search and haven't seen these.

Love the first one, but we'd like to close it within $2000 at least for the first 6 months.
Poster has deleted second one.
Third one - yes, views are mind blowing and it's close to my partner's office. Isn't it too cheap??? Adverts like this one make me very suspicious. Is it a house share or something?
funny, i thought the 3 rd was a bit expensive! no1500 is likely right.

Personally, id consider just finding something that fits for now and not get too carried away with views etc. Once here you can learn the lay of the land and decide where you might like to be.

Our last place had great views (north shore) our new has none.....the extra space i see now as more valuable. Views are certainly nice, but they add a premium to the rental price.

you really cant wrong with the west end. Everywhere is close downtown anyway, it makes little sense paying above the odds to be in Yaletown or Coal Harbour.

My favourite place is Kits....sort of a step back from down town with its own charm and still everything you need on your door step.
Boy d is offline  
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 1:29 am
  #112  
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,088
Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worst suburb in Greater Vancouver/GTA

Originally Posted by foreigngirl
you can find the same thing without the 'polish' for a good 300 - 400 less per month. that is a standard west end one bed rental in terms of lay out and size though. looks like my old place
Boy d is offline  
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 1:31 am
  #113  
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,088
Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worst suburb in Greater Vancouver/GTA

Originally Posted by Alan2005
You are right to be as concerned. I know everyone says that everywhere in Vancouver is perfectly ok to live in apart from a few notorious places and that you shouldn't over-think this, but they are wrong. If you don't spend a lot of time considering these things, you might end up in the DTES by accident and you wouldn't want that.
chicken little, chicken little alert !
Boy d is offline  
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 1:43 am
  #114  
Stand-up Philosopher
 
caretaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Regina Saskatchewan
Posts: 16,344
caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worst suburb in Greater Vancouver/GTA

My friends rent an older 2 BR house for $1500 or so near Kingsway & Victoria but it took them ages to find it and there's utilities on top. They have great blackberry bushes in their backyard.
caretaker is offline  
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 3:20 am
  #115  
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,088
Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Worst suburb in Greater Vancouver/GTA

Originally Posted by caretaker
My friends rent an older 2 BR house for $1500 or so near Kingsway & Victoria but it took them ages to find it and there's utilities on top. They have great blackberry bushes in their backyard.
well at least it has a blackberry bush....there's always an upside!
Boy d is offline  
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 8:00 am
  #116  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 850
foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worst suburb in Greater Vancouver/GTA

Originally Posted by Boy d
funny, i thought the 3 rd was a bit expensive! no1500 is likely right.

Personally, id consider just finding something that fits for now and not get too carried away with views etc. Once here you can learn the lay of the land and decide where you might like to be.

Our last place had great views (north shore) our new has none.....the extra space i see now as more valuable. Views are certainly nice, but they add a premium to the rental price.

you really cant wrong with the west end. Everywhere is close downtown anyway, it makes little sense paying above the odds to be in Yaletown or Coal Harbour.

My favourite place is Kits....sort of a step back from down town with its own charm and still everything you need on your door step.
Thanks. The plan is to get something for 6 months and during that time look for something more permanent and probably further away from downtown. My partner liked the areas around Grouse Mountain, so we might venture out there. However, it's important for me to live somewhere nice during our first months in Vancouver (and later on too, obviously). Otherwise, I know that if I'm not going to like the place where we live, I'm just going to get depressed and will hate the whole experience in general.
foreigngirl is offline  
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 2:58 pm
  #117  
Beep
 
el_richo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Here
Posts: 8,311
el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worst suburb in Greater Vancouver/GTA

Originally Posted by foreigngirl
Thanks. The plan is to get something for 6 months and during that time look for something more permanent and probably further away from downtown. My partner liked the areas around Grouse Mountain, so we might venture out there. However, it's important for me to live somewhere nice during our first months in Vancouver (and later on too, obviously). Otherwise, I know that if I'm not going to like the place where we live, I'm just going to get depressed and will hate the whole experience in general.
Vancouver is a small town. 99% of it is very nice and liveable, especially for 6 months.

Get a place, enjoy the newness, find an area you love, rent there after 6 months. Grouse you will need access to a car don't forget

Personally, i'd select 1 of my options i gave you, in the order i gave you
el_richo is offline  
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 3:08 pm
  #118  
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 14,227
Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worst suburb in Greater Vancouver/GTA

Originally Posted by el_richo
Vancouver is a small town. 99% of it is very nice and liveable, especially for 6 months.

Get a place, enjoy the newness, find an area you love, rent there after 6 months. Grouse you will need access to a car don't forget

Personally, i'd select 1 of my options i gave you, in the order i gave you
Is it easy to find 6 month rentals? Most places expect a min one year don't they?
Alan2005 is offline  
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 3:51 pm
  #119  
Beep
 
el_richo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Here
Posts: 8,311
el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worst suburb in Greater Vancouver/GTA

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Is it easy to find 6 month rentals? Most places expect a min one year don't they?
Ooooh very true.

Scrap my last post. Find a nice place from the get go otherwise you could fine yourself in an apartment and area you hate. A year is a long time to be unhappy

Rent with a nice view, especially during the rainy season from October to May. That way if you're housebound you'll at least have a lovely view to enjoy rather than looking at a brick wall, a road, or somebody elses living room.
el_richo is offline  
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 4:13 pm
  #120  
.
 
Oink's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 20,185
Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worst suburb in Greater Vancouver/GTA

Originally Posted by el_richo
Ooooh very true.

Scrap my last post. Find a nice place from the get go otherwise you could fine yourself in an apartment and area you hate. A year is a long time to be unhappy

Rent with a nice view, especially during the rainy season from October to May. That way if you're housebound you'll at least have a lovely view to enjoy rather than looking at a brick wall, a road, or somebody elses living room.
+ get a boat.
Oink is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.