Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Worst suburb in Greater Vancouver/GTA

Worst suburb in Greater Vancouver/GTA

Old Aug 21st 2012, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worst suburb in Greater Vancouver/GTA

Originally Posted by el_richo
Yep, we did. You have to do what you feel comfortable with.
What about this area - any good?
http://rentitfurnished.com/english-b...-plaza-delmar/
Old Aug 21st 2012, 6:36 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by foreigngirl
Yep that's the west end. 5 mins from downtown centre and next to the beach. It's ok.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 7:23 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

You are right to be as concerned. I know everyone says that everywhere in Vancouver is perfectly ok to live in apart from a few notorious places and that you shouldn't over-think this, but they are wrong. If you don't spend a lot of time considering these things, you might end up in the DTES by accident and you wouldn't want that.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 10:58 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Wow....there are mortgages cheaper than for a bigger home
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 1:20 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
It's true. Other people are annoying <shakes fist at other people>
only people on here seem to annoy me
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 1:27 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much.
I've been on Craigslist every day, putting 'Coal Harbour' or 'False Creek' into the search and haven't seen these.

Love the first one, but we'd like to close it within $2000 at least for the first 6 months.
Poster has deleted second one.
Third one - yes, views are mind blowing and it's close to my partner's office. Isn't it too cheap??? Adverts like this one make me very suspicious. Is it a house share or something?
funny, i thought the 3 rd was a bit expensive! no1500 is likely right.

Personally, id consider just finding something that fits for now and not get too carried away with views etc. Once here you can learn the lay of the land and decide where you might like to be.

Our last place had great views (north shore) our new has none.....the extra space i see now as more valuable. Views are certainly nice, but they add a premium to the rental price.

you really cant wrong with the west end. Everywhere is close downtown anyway, it makes little sense paying above the odds to be in Yaletown or Coal Harbour.

My favourite place is Kits....sort of a step back from down town with its own charm and still everything you need on your door step.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 1:29 am
Banned

you can find the same thing without the 'polish' for a good 300 - 400 less per month. that is a standard west end one bed rental in terms of lay out and size though. looks like my old place
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 1:31 am
Banned

You are right to be as concerned. I know everyone says that everywhere in Vancouver is perfectly ok to live in apart from a few notorious places and that you shouldn't over-think this, but they are wrong. If you don't spend a lot of time considering these things, you might end up in the DTES by accident and you wouldn't want that.
chicken little, chicken little alert !
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 1:43 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

My friends rent an older 2 BR house for $1500 or so near Kingsway & Victoria but it took them ages to find it and there's utilities on top. They have great blackberry bushes in their backyard.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 3:20 am
Banned

Post Re: Worst suburb in Greater Vancouver/GTA

Originally Posted by caretaker
My friends rent an older 2 BR house for $1500 or so near Kingsway & Victoria but it took them ages to find it and there's utilities on top. They have great blackberry bushes in their backyard.
well at least it has a blackberry bush....there's always an upside!
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
funny, i thought the 3 rd was a bit expensive! no1500 is likely right.

Personally, id consider just finding something that fits for now and not get too carried away with views etc. Once here you can learn the lay of the land and decide where you might like to be.

Our last place had great views (north shore) our new has none.....the extra space i see now as more valuable. Views are certainly nice, but they add a premium to the rental price.

you really cant wrong with the west end. Everywhere is close downtown anyway, it makes little sense paying above the odds to be in Yaletown or Coal Harbour.

My favourite place is Kits....sort of a step back from down town with its own charm and still everything you need on your door step.
Thanks. The plan is to get something for 6 months and during that time look for something more permanent and probably further away from downtown. My partner liked the areas around Grouse Mountain, so we might venture out there. However, it's important for me to live somewhere nice during our first months in Vancouver (and later on too, obviously). Otherwise, I know that if I'm not going to like the place where we live, I'm just going to get depressed and will hate the whole experience in general.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 2:58 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. The plan is to get something for 6 months and during that time look for something more permanent and probably further away from downtown. My partner liked the areas around Grouse Mountain, so we might venture out there. However, it's important for me to live somewhere nice during our first months in Vancouver (and later on too, obviously). Otherwise, I know that if I'm not going to like the place where we live, I'm just going to get depressed and will hate the whole experience in general.
Vancouver is a small town. 99% of it is very nice and liveable, especially for 6 months.

Get a place, enjoy the newness, find an area you love, rent there after 6 months. Grouse you will need access to a car don't forget

Personally, i'd select 1 of my options i gave you, in the order i gave you
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 3:08 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Vancouver is a small town. 99% of it is very nice and liveable, especially for 6 months.

Get a place, enjoy the newness, find an area you love, rent there after 6 months. Grouse you will need access to a car don't forget

Personally, i'd select 1 of my options i gave you, in the order i gave you
Is it easy to find 6 month rentals? Most places expect a min one year don't they?
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 3:51 pm
Beep

Is it easy to find 6 month rentals? Most places expect a min one year don't they?
Ooooh very true.

Scrap my last post. Find a nice place from the get go otherwise you could fine yourself in an apartment and area you hate. A year is a long time to be unhappy

Rent with a nice view, especially during the rainy season from October to May. That way if you're housebound you'll at least have a lovely view to enjoy rather than looking at a brick wall, a road, or somebody elses living room.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 4:13 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Ooooh very true.

Scrap my last post. Find a nice place from the get go otherwise you could fine yourself in an apartment and area you hate. A year is a long time to be unhappy

Rent with a nice view, especially during the rainy season from October to May. That way if you're housebound you'll at least have a lovely view to enjoy rather than looking at a brick wall, a road, or somebody elses living room.
+ get a boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.