Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Worst suburb in Greater Vancouver/GTA

Worst suburb in Greater Vancouver/GTA

Old Jul 3rd 2012, 7:58 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worst suburb in Greater Vancouver/GTA

Originally Posted by douglasgrant
Because these cities were never medieval cities which grew over time. Toronto was just a port and fort for a very long time until recently.

Anyways, back to OPs quesitons:

A lot of Toronto has been built up and changed over the last 10 years due to cheap money and the housing boom. Places that used to be drug hangouts and crazy towns (places where I used to have to walk and step over blood, vomiting aboriginals and homeless people with needles in their arms have been re-faced with trendy coffee shops and trendy artsy lofts). Buyer and mover beware: this was how it was for a very long time. It only changed recently in the last 10 or so years. So if I were a fortune teller and I said, there is a chance it could go back to the way it was within the next 10 or so years, I could have a good case.

Anyways, for TO, places to stay away from these days:
- South side of Etobicoke to Mississauga along Lakeshore before you hit the credit river.
- some south old parts of Mississauga.
- some parts of Scarborough. google.
- Far west end of Parkdale in downtown
- Some parts of Crazy Ossington & Queen to King[1]
It has nothing to do with not being medieval cities.

As I said, they got it right in the 19th century - lots of lovely old colonial buildings. It's something in the mindset. Function over aesthetics.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

douglasgrant is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
.. lots of lovely old colonial ..
And how and hw many people exactly lived in Toronto in the 19th century who could afford "lovely colonial buildings"? You dont know the history of Toronto.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 8:33 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

And how and hw many people exactly lived in Toronto in the 19th century who could afford "lovely colonial buildings"? You dont know the history of Toronto.
Um, this thread is also about Vancouver. Gastown has some beautiful heritage buildings, for instance.

Actually I think a lot of Toronto has more interesting buildings and neighbourhoods - the Annex for instance. A lot of 19th century/early 20th rowhouses.

But out in the urban sprawl - blech.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

exenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond repute

Oshawa - specifically downtown. Part of the reason it is so bad downtown is because there are two meth clinics with 1 minute walk of it, one north, one south. It brings out the crazies/disgustingtons/ on a daily basis. I see it everyday.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chrisbrockhurst
Oshawa - specifically downtown. Part of the reason it is so bad downtown is because there are two meth clinics with 1 minute walk of it, one north, one south. It brings out the crazies/disgustingtons/ on a daily basis. I see it everyday.
Yes, there is a reason there are so many crazies roaming the streets and riding the pubic transit in GTA. Higher than normal for a city this size. The man responsible (one of a few actually) for that great idea recently passed away from old age. About 6 months ago I think. I'll let the UK brethren google for it just for fun.

With all due respect to him though, he was very bright, very good hearted, had very good intentions, and I guess it probably was a good idea at the time; but unfortunately, it did failed miserably.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 12:09 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, there is a reason there are so many crazies roaming the streets and riding the pubic transit in GTA. Higher than normal for a city this size. The man responsible (one of a few actually) for that great idea recently passed away from old age. About 6 months ago I think. I'll let the UK brethren google for it just for fun.

With all due respect to him though, he was very bright, very good hearted, had very good intentions, and I guess it probably was a good idea at the time; but unfortunately, it did failed miserably.
Mike Harris is dead? Oh Happy Day.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 12:11 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Places that used to be drug hangouts and crazy towns (places where I used to have to walk and step over blood, vomiting aboriginals and homeless people with needles in their arms have been re-faced with trendy coffee shops and trendy artsy lofts).
Such as where? (I'll concede I don't know the west end well so if it's High Park, fair enough).
Old Jul 4th 2012, 12:57 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dbd33
Mike Harris is dead? Oh Happy Day.
No, I think it was this guy.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jandro
yes. you get the google award.

Last edited by douglasgrant; Jul 4th 2012 at 1:27 am.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 1:42 am
Assimilated Pauper

Not to blame. Not at all. The mass of poor and disabled people on the streets, specifically the population of Allen Gardens, is a direct result of Harris's Lack of Care in the Community initiative. Elected by the population of the 905 area code, he visited suburban wrath on the urban population, primarily by a campaign of closing care facilities. An unpleasant and vindictive man, next to Jack Layton, he was the most harmful politician to Toronto since I've been in Canada.

Mr. Greenland may, as a clinician, have advocated community involvement but the timing's all wrong. The great mass of people unable to care for themselves weren't kicked on to the street until the mid-90s.

Last edited by dbd33; Jul 4th 2012 at 1:47 am.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 7:22 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dbd33
Not to blame. Not at all. The mass of poor and disabled people on the streets, specifically the population of Allen Gardens, is a direct result of Harris's Lack of Care in the Community initiative. Elected by the population of the 905 area code, he visited suburban wrath on the urban population, primarily by a campaign of closing care facilities. An unpleasant and vindictive man, next to Jack Layton, he was the most harmful politician to Toronto since I've been in Canada.

Mr. Greenland may, as a clinician, have advocated community involvement but the timing's all wrong. The great mass of people unable to care for themselves weren't kicked on to the street until the mid-90s.
According to the article there was a policy, dating back to the 60 or 70s, of discharging the mentally ill and giving them drugs to reduce their worst symptons. I think that was a national trend. Was the same thing happening in the UK? I remember seeing lots of mentally ill homeless in Ontario cities way before '95.

Harris' predecessor, Rae, wasn't all that popular either towards the end of his term with his 'Rae days' and employment equity.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 11:23 am
Assimilated Pauper

Harris' predecessor, Rae, wasn't all that popular either towards the end of his term with his 'Rae days' and employment equity.
I didn't care for Rae days as, of course, I didn't get paid on those days. I thought Rae an incompetent manager. I've no reason to think he'd be good with a piss up and a brewery now. However, he did not do direct harm to the city of Toronto and he didn't leave a legacy of ugliness and crime as Harris did. Here's a fairly recent piece that shows how he's remembered within the 416 area code:

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/...-mental-health
Old Jul 5th 2012, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

FirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really nice

Because these cities were never medieval cities which grew over time. Toronto was just a port and fort for a very long time until recently.

Anyways, back to OPs quesitons:

A lot of Toronto has been built up and changed over the last 10 years due to cheap money and the housing boom. Places that used to be drug hangouts and crazy towns (places where I used to have to walk and step over blood, vomiting aboriginals and homeless people with needles in their arms have been re-faced with trendy coffee shops and trendy artsy lofts). Buyer and mover beware: this was how it was for a very long time. It only changed recently in the last 10 or so years. So if I were a fortune teller and I said, there is a chance it could go back to the way it was within the next 10 or so years, I could have a good case.

Anyways, for TO, places to stay away from these days:
- South side of Etobicoke to Mississauga along Lakeshore before you hit the credit river.
- some south old parts of Mississauga.
- some parts of Scarborough. google.
- Far west end of Parkdale in downtown
- Some parts of Crazy Ossington & Queen to King[1]
Sounds like you are actually describing the DTES, Vancouver, but at least the problem - and proposed solution - appears universal.

FROTSUK
Old Jul 7th 2012, 10:09 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

According to the article there was a policy, dating back to the 60 or 70s, of discharging the mentally ill and giving them drugs to reduce their worst symptons. I think that was a national trend. Was the same thing happening in the UK? I remember seeing lots of mentally ill homeless in Ontario cities way before '95.

It's called deinstitutionalisation and happened all over the world
Old Jul 7th 2012, 10:12 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Nonsense
It seemed safe enough when I was visiting in the ‘70s but when I was living there in ‘83 there were a lot of bad crimes. I played darts regularly in the Blue Horizon down on Denman and the walk down Robson and back was the scary bit. Late at night, no dawdlers on the street. As I said, not too sure about now, but for a long time I didn‘t feel safe down there. Even when I was staying in the Regent and the only place I wouldn‘t go in was the Sunrise I felt safer at night on skid row than I did in the west end., and that was before my friends were killed there.[/QUOTE]

Can't speak for 1983 but since 1992 demand to robson is a nice safe area....been around there for close on 2 decades....great area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.