Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Worst suburb in Greater Vancouver/GTA

Worst suburb in Greater Vancouver/GTA

Old Jun 28th 2012, 1:12 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worst suburb in Greater Vancouver/GTA

Originally Posted by el_richo
My wife's Aunt had one the other day.

It was all nicey nicey with a bit about respecting each others cultures, blah blah blah, but urinating in public or others property cannot be accepted, blah blah blah. Then something about if found, the police will be involved, blah blah blah.

It did start by welcoming people to the area though
Not French people I assume?
Old Jun 28th 2012, 10:03 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Westside of Vancouver because i don't have a a spare $5M to by an over priced property and not worry about it.
Not too sure about now, but for decades it seemed like the West End was more dangerous than the Lower East Side. Criminals have to go where the money is, and for a long time it seemed like they were finding someone carved up in a garbage can every weekend. During the day it‘s beautiful and full of restaurants and boutiques but after dark people wouldn‘t be walking around alone.[/QUOTE]

Nonsense
Old Jun 28th 2012, 10:58 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Nonsense[/QUOTE]
It seemed safe enough when I was visiting in the ‘70s but when I was living there in ‘83 there were a lot of bad crimes. I played darts regularly in the Blue Horizon down on Denman and the walk down Robson and back was the scary bit. Late at night, no dawdlers on the street. As I said, not too sure about now, but for a long time I didn‘t feel safe down there. Even when I was staying in the Regent and the only place I wouldn‘t go in was the Sunrise I felt safer at night on skid row than I did in the west end., and that was before my friends were killed there.

Last edited by caretaker; Jun 28th 2012 at 11:30 am.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 2:16 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I like Fort Langley. I would also be happy to live in South Langley. It is quiet, rural and many places have great mountain views.

The bit of Langley between the two less so.
I agree with you about Fort Langley.

The rest of Langley, however? Blech.

I'd rather live in Whalley.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Personally I think Langley really blows.

It's flat, and featureless, with interbred strip malls and faux-craftsman developments galore.

Plus transit from there sucks, the commute is long, the school board is smoking crack, and it's nowhere near the sea
I work in Langley

I agree with your first sentence.

Transit ? 502 bus every 15 mins to Surrey seems pretty fair to me and yes I have used it during rush hours.

Commute is long ? Depends where you are commuting too, surely ? My commute from Cloverdale to Langley was 20 mins rain or shine. If you want to work in Vancouver, don't live in Langley. That much is pretty obvious. The hanging gardens of Babylon are very pretty, but that is an even longer commute to Vancouver and the transit is not so hot there either.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 4:00 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

well - yah.

but most work is in vancouver, so that does matter.

anyway i'd rahter live in Surrey.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

FirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really nice

Alpha St. (Burnaby/Border E. Van)
If it did not have some green space behind it one would think they were in Beruit.

FROTSUK
Old Jun 30th 2012, 4:12 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

The urban parts of cities in the fraser valley are all shit - no exceptions. And if you want a job paying decent money, well there aren't really any of those either.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

shollybabe is an unknown quantity at this point

Please can someone elaborate on why Bramton and Missisigua are no go area? And where else can one land in GTA? Cheers
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

I would turn the Toronto argument completely on it's head by saying that there is almost nowhere in T.O I would want to live. With it's rundown, overpopulated, congested, overpriced and excessively diverse/segregated neighbourhoods. The parts that are pleasant are now so expensive that they offer no value to most immigrants. Downtown is now condoville - cheaply built one bedroom apartments for Canadian 30 somethings, waiting for - when they feel - the time is right to have children. Compensation dogs are in abundance.

One area I do like though is Rouge Park. Even though it's right next to that big bomb!
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shollybabe
Please can someone elaborate on why Bramton and Missisigua are no go area? And where else can one land in GTA? Cheers
Essentially because you'll be spending £25k-£40k to move to the equivalent of Slough when you could do so a lot more easily in Britain without the VISA hassles.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Cyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond repute

This thread appears to be more about open warfare on the stereotyped lifestyles of non-European immigrants, and less on suburban areas whose quality of living is correlated with infrastructure, transportation, property taxes and a myriad of other factors not related to the colour of someone's skin.

I could talk about the smalll minded WASP racists of Georgetown or parochial Brits I met in Burlington who still haven't integrated into Canadian society - but I won't - I'll leave that to someone else.

Last edited by Cyan; Jul 3rd 2012 at 6:09 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
The urban parts of cities in the fraser valley are all shit - no exceptions. And if you want a job paying decent money, well there aren't really any of those either.
There's this sort of prevailing attitude that once you put some roads in the work is done, the idea of making things actually look nice and are well organized seems to be an afterthought. It seems like in the US they do a better job at making small cities and towns at least have some character and personality instead of just grey blah.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
There's this sort of prevailing attitude that once you put some roads in the work is done, the idea of making things actually look nice and are well organized seems to be an afterthought. It seems like in the US they do a better job at making small cities and towns at least have some character and personality instead of just grey blah.
Agreed. One thing I will never understand is why the built environment has to be so freaking ugly and functional. It's also often extremely impersonal - huge blocks with massive buildings. There seems to be no expecation of buildings being interesting or pretty...they got it in the 19th Century, why not now?
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

douglasgrant is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Agreed. One thing I will never understand is why the built environment has to be so freaking ugly and functional. It's also often extremely impersonal - huge blocks with massive buildings. There seems to be no expecation of buildings being interesting or pretty...they got it in the 19th Century, why not now?
Because these cities were never medieval cities which grew over time. Toronto was just a port and fort for a very long time until recently.

Anyways, back to OPs quesitons:

A lot of Toronto has been built up and changed over the last 10 years due to cheap money and the housing boom. Places that used to be drug hangouts and crazy towns (places where I used to have to walk and step over blood, vomiting aboriginals and homeless people with needles in their arms have been re-faced with trendy coffee shops and trendy artsy lofts). Buyer and mover beware: this was how it was for a very long time. It only changed recently in the last 10 or so years. So if I were a fortune teller and I said, there is a chance it could go back to the way it was within the next 10 or so years, I could have a good case.

Anyways, for TO, places to stay away from these days:
- South side of Etobicoke to Mississauga along Lakeshore before you hit the credit river.
- some south old parts of Mississauga.
- some parts of Scarborough. google.
- Far west end of Parkdale in downtown
- Some parts of Crazy Ossington & Queen to King[1]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.