Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Working From Home Tips

Working From Home Tips

Old Aug 30th 2020, 2:05 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working From Home Tips

Originally Posted by Oink
Biggest tip for work from home, is get a big bottle of nice smelling baby lotion.
I couldn't agree more...the inclement weather and horrible humidity problems make baby lotion a 'must' !
Old Aug 31st 2020, 9:01 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
My project is finishing at the end of this month, so with little chance of joining a new project any time soon, looks like I'll be having a summer of leisure for the first time ever. Fingers crossed the weather is nice.
Well, that came to pass quite nicely. Finished the project in Germany at the end of April, and had 4 absolutely fantastic months at home. Weather was great, had nothing to do and nowhere to go and it was just wonderful. But all good things must come to an end and I've just started on a new project, another offshore wind farm. I've been fortunate enough to have worked all over the world but this one will be a real challenge... the locals are unintelligible and the weather is awful. And since the kids have now left home and are at university we've decided to sell up in Norfolk and relocate to where my new job is based... in Glasgow.
Old Aug 31st 2020, 9:58 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

The weather at an offshore wind farm must get pretty challenging at this time of year on occasion? I loved being offshore, it always felt different and as if anything might happen. But I only did it in the Mediterranean where the weather is generally better.
Old Aug 31st 2020, 10:24 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
The weather at an offshore wind farm must get pretty challenging at this time of year on occasion? I loved being offshore, it always felt different and as if anything might happen. But I only did it in the Mediterranean where the weather is generally better.
Yes, the weather can be extremely challenging, especially so between September and April. But this wind farm doesn't exist yet, it's just in the front end engineering phase - construction is planned for 2022-2026.
Old Aug 31st 2020, 10:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Anyone else here returning to the office anytime soon? .....
I was WFH anyway, since February 2019, so I don't have a desk to return to, but (in NC) Mrs P has already been officially been told "there will be no return to the office before November 1" - for context this date has been pushed back one month at a time every month for at least the past 5 months, so she has very little doubt that the date will be pushed back again, and her dept head has said he currerntly doesn't expect any return to the office prior to January 2021, and only then perhaps for a few people at a time.
Old Aug 31st 2020, 10:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I work from home in a way, just need to find a way to get paid for it.
Old Aug 31st 2020, 11:26 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

We’ve been asked to complete a survey about how we feel about an office return
have suspicion it will be on a voluntary basis for probably bathe rest of the year.

my boss is currently in another province had has a couple of major things keeping Her there, so I don’t anticipate any pressure from her
Old Sep 1st 2020, 12:23 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Well, that came to pass quite nicely. Finished the project in Germany at the end of April, and had 4 absolutely fantastic months at home. Weather was great, had nothing to do and nowhere to go and it was just wonderful. But all good things must come to an end and I've just started on a new project, another offshore wind farm. I've been fortunate enough to have worked all over the world but this one will be a real challenge... the locals are unintelligible and the weather is awful. And since the kids have now left home and are at university we've decided to sell up in Norfolk and relocate to where my new job is based... in Glasgow.
Oh, congratulations I think. Lots of nice areas around Glasgae and opportunity for boating on the West Coast. The only way I'd ever get Mrs AX to move back to Blighty would be to go to Scotland .
Old Sep 1st 2020, 12:24 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

We're all WFH for the rest of the year. While I'm concerned about the wife (a teacher) and the kids going back to school next week. (Although low caseload in Nfld, means low risk - at present), I am very much looking forward to 6 hours a day where its just me and the dogs at home!
Old Sep 1st 2020, 12:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife's new job is in a small office, only 3 people and their desks are 6-7 feet apart so hopefully that will keep the risk for her low.
Old Sep 1st 2020, 5:27 pm
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
My wife's new job is in a small office, only 3 people and their desks are 6-7 feet apart so hopefully that will keep the risk for her low.
I briefly read an article somewhere last week talking about large city offices - multifloors, hundreds of people. Aside from the social distancing challenges, mask use etc in the working areas, the need to reduce lift capacity to maintain social distancing means that effectively it would take 2 1/2 hours for the entire floor to go to and return from lunch. So there is some benefit from working in a small office I think!
Old Sep 1st 2020, 6:39 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I briefly read an article somewhere last week talking about large city offices - multifloors, hundreds of people. Aside from the social distancing challenges, mask use etc in the working areas, the need to reduce lift capacity to maintain social distancing means that effectively it would take 2 1/2 hours for the entire floor to go to and return from lunch. So there is some benefit from working in a small office I think!
Luckily no elevator for her, its ground floor.

Back in March my wife had an interview at a large office building in Vancouver, it sounded like it was going to be a nightmare with the elevators, they were only going to allow 10 people inside each elevator at one time, cannot imagine how long it would take to get 28 floors of people up and down each day.
Old Sep 1st 2020, 8:03 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Back in March my wife had an interview at a large office building in Vancouver, it sounded like it was going to be a nightmare with the elevators, they were only going to allow 10 people inside each elevator at one time, cannot imagine how long it would take to get 28 floors of people up and down each day.
Only 10 people that's ridonculous! Those elevators must be huuuge.
It's only 4 people where I work, one person in each corner facing away from each other.
Old Sep 1st 2020, 8:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Only 10 people that's ridonculous! Those elevators must be huuuge.
It's only 4 people where I work, one person in each corner facing away from each other.
IME experience office tower elevators are commonly (in normal times) rated for 20 people/ 3,500lb, but an elevator that size feels pretty crowded by the time you get 10 people in it. I have been in "full" elevators in London, the ones that serve some Tube stations, and "full" means everyone is jammed in solid. So if anything even close to the currently-advised social distancing rules were attempted, you wouldn't be able to get more than 4 people in a 20 person capacity elevator.

Maybe they could replace the elevator cars' floors and ceilings with open grids - so that air rushes through the elevator cars as they move between floors?

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 1st 2020 at 8:29 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2020, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

Maybe they could replace the elevator cars' floors and ceilings with open grids - so that air rushes through the elevator cars as they move between floors?
Well that’s tonight’s nightmare sorted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.