Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Wireless Devices on Aircraft

Wireless Devices on Aircraft

Old Oct 2nd 2014, 11:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wireless Devices on Aircraft

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell

All of this .....

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who willfully ignore the safety demo.

Yes the bit on how to do up your seatbelt is bit cruddy but ask those people which exits they can/can't use in the event of, say a ditching on water, and they wouldn't have a clue.

Do some airlines explain this? I've only flown US carriers and Westjet and while they all explain where the exits are, none have ever said which ones to use in specific event's, they just say for example using a 737 2 exits forward, 2 mid cabin and 2 in the rear or some variation of that.

All the safety spiels are about the seat belt, not smoking, where the exits are, and the oxygen mask and placing it on yourself before assisting others.

Once you have heard the thing a gazillion times, its pretty easy to remember and not need to listen to it every single time.

I am guilty of not listening to it if I have flown the airline and aircraft type before, but I will listen on a new airline or aircraft I am not familiar with.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 12:00 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Nearly 96 percent of the occupants involved in a Part 121 aviation accident over
the past 18 years survived the accident, and in over 46 percent of the most serious of these
accidents (accidents involving fire, serious injury, and either substantial aircraft damage or
complete destruction), more than 80 percent of the occupants survived. Although
catastrophic accidents such as TWA flight 800 result in fatalities to all occupants, such
accidents are the exception. The large number of people who survive even the most
serious accidents emphasizes the importance of work aimed at ensuring that crash
survivors can safely remove themselves from the accident aircraft

also of interest

One reason passengers do not pay attention to the briefing may be their belief that
accidents are not survivable.17 Public perceptions of survivability may be substantially
lower than the actual rate of 95.7 percent for all Part 121 accidents. Empowered with the
knowledge of aircraft accident survivability rates, passengers may take additional steps to
improve their chances of survival, including planning exit routes, paying attention to
safety briefings, and reading safety cards.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 12:04 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Well, guilty as charged. I guess we passengers tend to think in terms of catastrophic crashes when in fact there are many other emergency situations. Now I feel less safe.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 12:08 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Do some airlines explain this? I've only flown US carriers and Westjet and while they all explain where the exits are, none have ever said which ones to use in specific event's, they just say for example using a 737 2 exits forward, 2 mid cabin and 2 in the rear or some variation of that.

All the safety spiels are about the seat belt, not smoking, where the exits are, and the oxygen mask and placing it on yourself before assisting others.

Once you have heard the thing a gazillion times, its pretty easy to remember and not need to listen to it every single time.

I am guilty of not listening to it if I have flown the airline and aircraft type before, but I will listen on a new airline or aircraft I am not familiar with.

no they don't. IMO safety briefings are unnecessarily verbose and don't focus on what'll actually help you.

the useful info about exits and stuff is usually on the card that noone reads
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 12:10 am
Professional Cat herder

Originally Posted by Shard
Well, guilty as charged. I guess we passengers tend to think in terms of catastrophic crashes when in fact there are many other emergency situations. Now I feel less safe.
You shouldn't. be scared of the morons we allow to operate highly dangerous motor vehicles within close proximity of each other.

far more likely to cause you issues
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 12:16 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

You shouldn't. be scared of the morons we allow to operate highly dangerous motor vehicles within close proximity of each other.

far more likely to cause you issues
Present company excepted, as you come over as absolutely delightful, but all the pilots I've ever had the misfortune of speaking to for more than five minutes were a bunch of anal retentive and deluded, self-aggrandising twat-heads. Of course most of them were septics so that probably doesn't help the situation.

Last edited by Oink; Oct 3rd 2014 at 1:02 am.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 12:29 am
Professional Cat herder

Originally Posted by Oink
Present company excepted, as you come over as absolutely delightful, but all the pilots I've ever had the misfortune of speaking to for more than five minutes were a bunch of anal retentive and deluded, self-aggrandising teat-heads. Of course most of them were septics so that probably doesn't help the situation.
Commercial pilots maybe. Us hobby flyers are a joy to be around

Seriously though, I suspect that I'm just as capable as being a "flying bore" as anyone. Mostly because I still find it hard to believe that someone is stupid enough to allow me to fly solo
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 2:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Present company excepted, as you come over as absolutely delightful, but all the pilots I've ever had the misfortune of speaking to for more than five minutes were a bunch of anal retentive and deluded, self-aggrandising twat-heads. Of course most of them were septics so that probably doesn't help the situation.
Commercial pilots certainly can be rather difficult to deal with, we had some real charmers at the airline I worked for.

We called it the god complex where I worked, some just seemed to think the world revolved around them.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 12:31 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Some good points in the last paragraph, but I don't think the survivability is so high for an actual crash (maybe if you include ditching). This website suggests survivability in the 2000's is a mere 24%.

Accident statistics
That survivability % is in incidents that where fatal. So incidents where there was a fatality 24% of people survived. Doesn't take into account the large numbers where everyone survived.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 1:19 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
We called it the god complex where I worked, some just seemed to think the world revolved around them.
When in fact, they revolved around the WORLD! Bwahhhhh!
Old Oct 4th 2014, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Commercial pilots maybe. Us hobby flyers are a joy to be around

Seriously though, I suspect that I'm just as capable as being a "flying bore" as anyone. Mostly because I still find it hard to believe that someone is stupid enough to allow me to fly solo
If I was a flight instructor I think I would far rather my pupils fly solo than with me up there with them.

I am also one who checks number of rows to exits in front and behind, reads the card and watches the video, and I was on 9 planes in July, paid attention every time. I also walk the route to the emergency exit in hotels upon arrival, the rest of the family think it's weird but if anything ever does happen they will be right behind me.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 9:30 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I flew with some very crazy bush pilots in northern Manitoba, 9 out of 10 for perpetuating the stereotype.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 10:20 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I flew with some very crazy bush pilots in northern Manitoba, 9 out of 10 for perpetuating the stereotype.
Giggity.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 12:38 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

'we' apparently always check the exits, when we get on board, as my husband
firmly believes that he could save himself and number one son...this is great, but I don't belive it for a moment

That being said, there was a mobile phone that had been 'lost' down one of the seats and it drove the flight nuts for weeks as it would go off at odd times and interrupt all sorts of things and at week three they had to disembowel the airplane to find it.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 12:58 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

The BA flight I was on from LHR to YYZ had Spanish subtitles on its safety movie. That was (not) helpful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.