Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Winter 2019/20 It's here

Winter 2019/20 It's here

Old Jan 18th 2020, 1:39 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter 2019/20 It's here

Update: I’ve lost the battle to keep the furnace vent free of snow - the drift over it is now almost to the second storey - the back doors are snowed in and the power keeps flickering off and on. This is quite the storm!

Last edited by Atlantic Xpat; Jan 18th 2020 at 1:41 am.
Old Jan 18th 2020, 1:45 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Update: I’ve lost the battle to keep the furnace vent free of snow - the drift over it is now almost to the second storey - the back doors are snowed in and the power keeps flickering off and on. This is quite the storm!
Do you have a wood stove or do you depend on the furnace?
Old Jan 18th 2020, 11:02 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Do you have a wood stove or do you depend on the furnace?
We have a propane fireplace (& stove) and since didn’t lose power had a ply in radiator in the one bedroom we all slept in. Temp in the rest of the house is 13c this morning so not too bad. I haven’t gone outside to look at the drifts yet...
Old Jan 18th 2020, 11:27 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

We have a propane fireplace (& stove) and since didn’t lose power had a ply in radiator in the one bedroom we all slept in. Temp in the rest of the house is 13c this morning so not too bad. I haven’t gone outside to look at the drifts yet...
You poor devil...my thoughts are with you and your family...I’m feeling a bit blue about our weekend here...but you put it all into perspective. Warmest wishes
Old Jan 18th 2020, 11:49 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

When it finally stops, it's going to take a long time to dig out. It would be a great time to own a fleet of dump trucks.
Old Jan 18th 2020, 1:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been so glad of the wood stove this week. The power was out for a couple of days at the beginning of the week so we worked from home and fed the generator. As the week wore on and the power was on for part of each day but, not a known part of the day, we had to go to work. At least with the stove on the dogs won't freeze. A big storm is supposed to arrive today but it's snow, it's when there's ice that we lose power. We still have some ice but it's not as bad as it was.

Good luck digging!

Old Jan 18th 2020, 1:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Now there is heavy horizontal snow in the wrong direction (against the prevailing wind). Wrong way snow is a bad sign, that is what I've learned in Canada.
Old Jan 18th 2020, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Now there is heavy horizontal snow in the wrong direction (against the prevailing wind). Wrong way snow is a bad sign, that is what I've learned in Canada.
You're somewhere north of Guelph near Arthur aren't you. I think that was one of the worst hit places with ice/freezing rain last weekend. Oh the joys of winter in Canada. Hey it could be worse..we could be living in Newfoundland.
Old Jan 18th 2020, 2:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
You're somewhere north of Guelph near Arthur aren't you. I think that was one of the worst hit places with ice/freezing rain last weekend. Oh the joys of winter in Canada. Hey it could be worse..we could be living in Newfoundland.
Yes, near the Luther Marsh. It wasn't the worst weather I've seen but it certainly wasn't balmy.
Old Jan 18th 2020, 3:30 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jan 18th 2020, 3:43 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

For a look at wind speed, wave height, precipitation etc., I use this

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=27;-27;2&l=gust&m=icon
Old Jan 18th 2020, 11:15 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Holy shit.

Old Jan 19th 2020, 1:44 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Holy shit.
+ 1 indeed...

I was feeling a bit fed up because my garage door has frozen shut and I can’t get the snowblower out...seeing this has put my feelings into perspective Yeh for NB where the snow...is presently less!
Old Jan 19th 2020, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
+ 1 indeed...

I was feeling a bit fed up because my garage door has frozen shut and I can’t get the snowblower out...seeing this has put my feelings into perspective Yeh for NB where the snow...is presently less!
rear car doors froze on Friday. Wouldn’t open, but after trying to open they also wouldn’t close well enough to shut off the doors open’ warning beep 🙄
Old Jan 19th 2020, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
rear car doors froze on Friday. Wouldn’t open, but after trying to open they also wouldn’t close well enough to shut off the doors open’ warning beep 🙄
just been looking at pics of NL, and would like to withdraw this minor league whinging

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.