Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Winter 2019/20 It's here

Winter 2019/20 It's here

Old Jan 15th 2020, 9:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter 2019/20 It's here

Originally Posted by Danny B
"when people say Vancouver isnt prepared for the snow... we definitely mean it"

I think that bicycle was a better idea.
Old Jan 15th 2020, 10:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Still coming down. I feel bad for the airport workers today, must be a mad house there, its a type of a job where your expected to go in no matter how bad the weather, from the posts from old co-workers its a bit messy.

Canada Post facility across the street appears they didn't send out most of their delivery folks today, the lot is usually empty from 10 am to 3pm but is filled with trucks and vans today that never moved.

The aquarium store I go to sometimes closed early due to weather, and my doctors office closed today due to weather.

My wife was supposed to work but she called off, too risky in this weather when relying on transit, and she would have no alternative home at 10pm if transit wasn't running but the employer seemed to understand.

Photo is from about 10 minutes ago at 3:25pm.

I am glad I don't have to shovel snow, at this point its a never ending job today, I have seen Canada Post person working non-stop to keep the sidewalk in front of their facility clear, its an entire city block plus 3 more city blocks down the 2 sides and back.

The sidewalk in front of our building is never cleared except for the tiny part in front of the residential doors, that is the only portion the residential strata is responsible for, the commercial spaces never clear the sidewalk in front of their stores.

Currently around 24F on our balcony which is semi covered so probably a bit colder out in the open away from a building.

Old Jan 15th 2020, 11:31 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

There's another snowfall warning for Vancouver, buckle up.
Old Jan 15th 2020, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

We've already had another 3 or so cm this afternoon.

At least traffic seems to be moving slowly, and with long distances between vehicles.

I heard someone complaining on a CBC phone in show that homeowners were clearing the slopes on sidewalks at corners, but weren't clearing the street. S/he did have a point in that s/he was in a wheelchair ...... but there is only so much that a home owner can do, and certainly not clear across the street.
Old Jan 15th 2020, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Still coming down. I feel bad for the airport workers today, must be a mad house there, its a type of a job where your expected to go in no matter how bad the weather, from the posts from old co-workers its a bit messy.

Canada Post facility across the street appears they didn't send out most of their delivery folks today, the lot is usually empty from 10 am to 3pm but is filled with trucks and vans today that never moved.

The aquarium store I go to sometimes closed early due to weather, and my doctors office closed today due to weather.

My wife was supposed to work but she called off, too risky in this weather when relying on transit, and she would have no alternative home at 10pm if transit wasn't running but the employer seemed to understand.

I am glad I don't have to shovel snow, at this point its a never ending job today, I have seen Canada Post person working non-stop to keep the sidewalk in front of their facility clear, its an entire city block plus 3 more city blocks down the 2 sides and back.

The sidewalk in front of our building is never cleared except for the tiny part in front of the residential doors, that is the only portion the residential strata is responsible for, the commercial spaces never clear the sidewalk in front of their stores.

Currently around 24F on our balcony which is semi covered so probably a bit colder out in the open away from a building.
ALL business owners are under the same responsibility to clear the sidewalk in front of their businesses. I believe the fine in Vancouver is $1,000. So they should be doing it ..... unless they are under the belief that it is the responsibility of the property OWNER, in which case that might need checking.
Old Jan 16th 2020, 1:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
ALL business owners are under the same responsibility to clear the sidewalk in front of their businesses. I believe the fine in Vancouver is $1,000. So they should be doing it ..... unless they are under the belief that it is the responsibility of the property OWNER, in which case that might need checking.
I know what the rules are,the same rules also say residents need to clear sidewalks but lots of people don't.

Old Jan 16th 2020, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

The city issued over 1,000 warrants for not clearing sidewalks last winter, all leading to fines if work not done.
Old Jan 16th 2020, 7:04 am
Account Closed

It's warmer tonight, +1 currently at the airport and +2 on our patio.
Old Jan 16th 2020, 7:09 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

If the snow in front of the commercial spaces is making life difficult or dangerous for you, I'd write to the City and complain (preferably with a few photos). If they're breaking local laws and the City has proof they'd have to act wouldn't they?

I had the idea from earlier posts that you didn't have a balcony, glad to see you do even if it's freezing out there!
Old Jan 16th 2020, 11:07 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

-34 in Regina, windchill of -46.
Old Jan 16th 2020, 11:54 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Our Snowmaggeddon has been revised upwards to possibly 75cm and 150k/h winds tonight through to Saturday morning.
I stocked up on storm chips and beer....
Old Jan 16th 2020, 3:24 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
-34 in Regina, windchill of -46.
Apparently today is the last day of this extreme cold. +3c on Sunday
Old Jan 16th 2020, 7:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
If the snow in front of the commercial spaces is making life difficult or dangerous for you, I'd write to the City and complain (preferably with a few photos). If they're breaking local laws and the City has proof they'd have to act wouldn't they?

I had the idea from earlier posts that you didn't have a balcony, glad to see you do even if it's freezing out there!
It's just small, gets no sunlight and overlooks a very noisy street so its not what I would call useful but there is a small outdoor space, but anything left out there for a couple days gets this fine black soot covering it from the exhaust I assume, its not your usual dust, very fine black soot like you find if you stick your hand into a cars exhaust pipe.

It's considerably warmer today, should be back to normal tomorrow.

As for snow on the sidewalk its not much a concern for me, just notice its never done, they city knows, many in the building send in complaints and photo via the city website set up for such things.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 16th 2020 at 7:36 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2020, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

You don't email

You phone 311 and complain
Old Jan 17th 2020, 4:32 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by scilly
You don't email

You phone 311 and complain
You know the city has this thing called Van Connect so there is no need to call 3-11 to do the same exact thing online quicker and more efficiently. Can even update some city services such as dog licence info through that service. Also allows you to provide pictures of the issue so the city knows exactly what your talking about and can see it, more effective then the phone is, and the city will respond to issue via it as well and also lets other city residents see if an issue has been reported already and what the response from the city was. Way more useful and effective.

https://vancouver.ca/vanconnect-desktop.aspx

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 17th 2020 at 4:37 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.