Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Winter 2019/20 It's here

Winter 2019/20 It's here

Old Jan 14th 2020, 3:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter 2019/20 It's here

Originally Posted by caretaker
Years ago I went down to the Spokane area to go carp fishing with an Englishman I met on a fishing forum, and he told me about their first winter. He'd purchased a parcel of forested land (it's mountains and trees where he is) and was living in something like a 20' travel trailer. After going and collecting his wife from the airport they went to their idyllic woodland paradise. That night there was a terrible storm, and the blowing snow obscured.... ok, I'm just adding stuff now. What happened was overnight the ice plastered the trailer and they were stuck inside until he could pry away at the door with a screwdriver and break enough ice to open the door, and he said she went ballistic on him, screaming what the hell sort of place have you brought me to, etc. I guess it got better.
I had to use a blow lamp to open the barn and chicken coop doors yesterday. The coop is wood so I was nervous of starting an impromptu barbecue.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 4:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
That would just utterly terrify me, I almost had a panic attack just watching that guy snowed in inside his house! I don't know how you all do it.
Even though that guy is only about 20 minutes from me we didn't get it like that. An earlier winter we had a drift across the doorway - about a third of the way up the door but that was only piling from the steps, not ground level. We've still had head high banks either side of the drive.

That particular winter we had no snow before xmas but what fell after was a record for post xmas and very nearly made the all time record for a whole winter. Lots of big storms but fortunately we've not experienced a single massive one like has fallen previously.

The sidewalks are usually nice and clear though

Old Jan 14th 2020, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
They bring noise and pollution. They irritate the animals. If the operators want to buy their own fields, fair enough but they can get off a my land. Same goes for the four wheelers in the summer.
Is there a trail through your land? I find thats the sitiation in many cases, that is normally made clear on the deeds when you buy the property.

Anyway, you know what they say, if you cant beat 'em join 'em! you'd like it. its fun! great way to see natural Canada during the midst of winter....it really is jaw dropping beautiful.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 4:53 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Even though that guy is only about 20 minutes from me we didn't get it like that. An earlier winter we had a drift across the doorway - about a third of the way up the door but that was only piling from the steps, not ground level. We've still had head high banks either side of the drive.

That particular winter we had no snow before xmas but what fell after was a record for post xmas and very nearly made the all time record for a whole winter. Lots of big storms but fortunately we've not experienced a single massive one like has fallen previously.

What month did the last bit of snow melt? My driveway is normally snow free by early April.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 4:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Is there a trail through your land? I find thats the sitiation in many cases, that is normally made clear on the deeds when you buy the property.

Anyway, you know what they say, if you cant beat 'em join 'em! you'd like it. its fun! great way to see natural Canada during the midst of winter....it really is jaw dropping beautiful.
There is no trail, The teenaged drunks who ride those things don't follow trails.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
There is no trail, The teenaged drunks who ride those things don't follow trails.
Well they are the idiots that give all snowmobiles a bad name....trespassing. Probbaly the same idiots that think they are "brave" going accross unmarked frozen lakes, or even open water.

I pay my trail pass and stick to the trails....you dont need anymore than the trails.
Old Jan 15th 2020, 1:16 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
What month did the last bit of snow melt? My driveway is normally snow free by early April.
That particular winter was likely a few spots well into May. April is more usual.

We came to Moncton on a house hunting visit first week of April 2005 and there were just a few determined patches in the corner of yards.
Old Jan 15th 2020, 3:22 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

So as well as getting snowed/iced in inside your house, you also run the risk of being buried in an avalanche while taking a morning stroll. You're not selling the place to me very well Bristol
Old Jan 15th 2020, 1:29 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

So far this winter we've had a lot of snow. More than usual. On Friday we have our next storm. Current guidance has been 40-60+ cm. This morning, the meterologists say that the "plus" is likely for Metro St John's.
Oh yes, and 120km/h winds as well. Happy days.

Old Jan 15th 2020, 3:17 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
-5 had to turn the heat on for the first time in almost 2 years. Windows are closed but near the windows you can feel the cold draft.

The dog isn't too keen on the cold, she more or less refused to walk outside today.
How is Vancouver right now? a complete shit show I bet.

Warnings

7:53 AM PST Wednesday 15 January 2020
Snowfall warning in effect for:
  • Metro Vancouver - central including the City of Vancouver Burnaby and New Westminster
  • Metro Vancouver - North Shore including West Vancouver and North Vancouver
  • Metro Vancouver - northeast including Coquitlam and Maple Ridge
  • Metro Vancouver - southeast including Surrey and Langley
  • Metro Vancouver - southwest including Richmond and Delta
Snowfall with total amounts of 10 to 15 cm is expected.

A Pacific front will continue to give snow to Metro Vancouver this morning with total accumulations of 10 to 15 cm forecast. The snow is expected to ease late this morning as the front moves northward.

Prepare for quickly changing and deteriorating travel conditions. Rapidly accumulating snow could make travel difficult over some locations. There may be a significant impact on rush hour traffic in urban areas.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to [email protected] or tweet reports using #BCStorm.
Old Jan 15th 2020, 5:36 pm
Tea Drinker

Old Jan 15th 2020, 5:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a bit messy. Many school districts are closed as are the colleges, buses are still running. The city cancelled curbside recycling this week so workers can deal with the snow. I have largely stayed home, its not worth going out when there is this much snow, even my dentist cancelled my appointment as she wasn't going into work due to the snow.

Traffic is moving slowly and far less traffic on our street compared to a normal day, traffic is more like a major holiday level.

Skytrains have been operating manually quite a bit this week, when it snows heavily the automation doesn't work so great, so they tend to need to be manually driven when it snows at least in part.

Luckily reddit is quite active in posting how things are around the city.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/c..._this_morning/

Buses are a mess.
https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/c...atural_winter/

The bridges are a mess

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/c...rough_was_not/

People are lazy and not clearing their cars properly
https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/c..._safety_first/

Some buses have needed passengers to help push them

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vanc...QI8q55dgEoi6-w

Mother in law in Squamish and they have a blizzard warning which is not a frequent warning in these parts.

Blizzard conditions with gusty winds and visibility frequently near zero in snow and blowing snow are expected or occurring.

Cold arctic air will continue to funnel through Howe Sound producing strong northerly winds of 90 to 110 km/h near Bowen Island today and tonight. In addition, snowfall with total accumulations in excess of 30 cm is expected.

Originally Posted by Danny B
How is Vancouver right now? a complete shit show I bet.

Warnings

7:53 AM PST Wednesday 15 January 2020
Snowfall warning in effect for:
  • Metro Vancouver - central including the City of Vancouver Burnaby and New Westminster
  • Metro Vancouver - North Shore including West Vancouver and North Vancouver
  • Metro Vancouver - northeast including Coquitlam and Maple Ridge
  • Metro Vancouver - southeast including Surrey and Langley
  • Metro Vancouver - southwest including Richmond and Delta
Snowfall with total amounts of 10 to 15 cm is expected.

A Pacific front will continue to give snow to Metro Vancouver this morning with total accumulations of 10 to 15 cm forecast. The snow is expected to ease late this morning as the front moves northward.

Prepare for quickly changing and deteriorating travel conditions. Rapidly accumulating snow could make travel difficult over some locations. There may be a significant impact on rush hour traffic in urban areas.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to [email protected] or tweet reports using #BCStorm.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 15th 2020 at 6:05 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2020, 6:58 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

My battery's inside for a thaw and a charge, and it's cold enough to test your frosticles.
Old Jan 15th 2020, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

We got about 15cm on top of the 3cm already on the ground here. The side streets have not been ploughed since the first snow fell, although they are possibly safer to drive on now than a couple of days ago when they were sheets of ice.

The main roads are being ploughed, but traffic is moving slowly.

All schools and post-secondary institutions are closed from Vancouver in to the Fraser Valley, EXCEPT for those in the Sea to SKY Corridor up to Whistler.

BC ferries have cancelled sailings this afternoon as heavy winds are once again causing problems ....... and those winds could be very dangerous when the trees are so heavy with snow. More snow is also in the forecast for the Lower Mainland.

One saving grace for homeowners ............. OH said the snow this morning was very light and easy to shovel, unlike the usual heavier snow that we usually get in Vancouver.

I heard on the lunchtime CBC news that Prince George has pulled all its snow clearing equipment off the streets until conditions improve ............. the temperature is around -40C and that cold is likely to damage their equipment.

The coldest I've been outside in was -43C in Quesnel years ago.
Old Jan 15th 2020, 9:25 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
The coldest I've been outside in was -43C in Quesnel years ago.
I've been in -44 and +44, which is satisfyingly symmetrical.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.