Winter 2017-18

Old Dec 11th 2017, 12:45 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter 2017-18

But is IS chaos.

People's lives are micro-managed these days, whether it's dropping the kids off, getting to work, making a connection... anything that throws that finely balanced system off results in huge amounts of frustration.

Unfortunately most people aren't in a lucky enough situation to say, "Hey, it's snowing, let's just take the day off and enjoy it!". The AA and the RAC can preach all they like, but most folk can't afford not to travel.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 1:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Unfortunately most people aren't in a lucky enough situation to say, "Hey, it's snowing, let's just take the day off and enjoy it!". The AA and the RAC can preach all they like, but most folk can't afford not to travel.
That's the same here. The weather gets bad, they pull the ploughs and then nominally close the roads and the public just has to get on with it. The difference, I suppose, is that here it happens every year so people drive vehicles equipped for the weather.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 1:07 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...The AA and the RAC can preach all they like...
That reminds me of something on the radio here a few years ago.

The presenter reported white-out/freezing rain or whatever apocalyptic conditions existed that made going out crazy - "essential journeys only" sort of thing - and then the very next thing they announced (all clearly live, none recorded and the same presenter) was promoting one of the stores encouraging people to go there today.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 3:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. Using snow as an excuse at my job won't cut it. If the airport is open we are expected to arrive for work.

The govt at various levels will say not to travel on the roads when it snows here but that just isn't realistic to expect.

But is IS chaos.

People's lives are micro-managed these days, whether it's dropping the kids off, getting to work, making a connection... anything that throws that finely balanced system off results in huge amounts of frustration.

Old Dec 11th 2017, 3:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
...If the airport is open we are expected to arrive for work.

The govt at various levels will say not to travel on the roads when it snows here but that just isn't realistic to expect.
Why not? Granted it depends on the reason for travel and what the state of the roads really is (it is Vancouver after all )

If an airport is open - operational, I mean, in terms of flights arriving and taking off - then things must be okay.

But when people are in weather related accidents when they've been warned to stay home I'd be in favour of fines set at an amount that covers the cost of all the services involved in dealing with it and subsequent fines for any employer sacking them for non attendance - as difficult as that may be to enforce.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Why not? Granted it depends on the reason for travel and what the state of the roads really is (it is Vancouver after all )

If an airport is open - operational, I mean, in terms of flights arriving and taking off - then things must be okay.

But when people are in weather related accidents when they've been warned to stay home I'd be in favour of fines set at an amount that covers the cost of all the services involved in dealing with it and subsequent fines for any employer sacking them for non attendance - as difficult as that may be to enforce.

Good idea but then you'd have plenty of companies leaving Canada. If it snows half the year (OK not Vancouver but other parts of Canada), you'll be flooded with weather related accidents and people trying to claim, or nobody will work

Last edited by Moses2013; Dec 11th 2017 at 3:49 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 3:47 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

If airplanes travelled on the highways, that would make sense...
Old Dec 11th 2017, 4:01 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Good idea but then you'd have plenty of companies leaving Canada. If it snows half the year (OK not Vancouver but other parts of Canada), you'll be flooded with weather related accidents and people trying to claim, or nobody will work
Or people would just accept that there are times when it's not safe to be out driving. Just wait a few hours until it's better.

Originally Posted by caretaker
If airplanes travelled on the highways, that would make sense...

But of course I'm referring to planes arriving and departing because there are passengers arriving at and departing from the airport because the roads are safe.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Or people would just accept that there are times when it's not safe to be out driving. Just wait a few hours until it's better.
Sure but that's very hard to define and what's safe or unsafe will depend on the person and where they live. It's often a lot worse off the main roads but people in the city might not see that. If I feel unsafe to drive, I stay at home and no boss can stop me.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 4:14 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Sure but that's very hard to define and what's safe or unsafe will depend on the person...
I'd settle for the police/emergency services.

Let's face it a safe speed limit will depend on the person and locality but there's still an accepted and enforcable definition.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 4:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

One thing is certain and that is an airport can be open and operational and the roads outside a total mess.

Several times last winter when Vancouver saw a decent amount of snow the airport was open and operating but the city roads were a total mess and transit buses a couple times stopped running.

Old Dec 11th 2017, 4:25 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

But of course I'm referring to planes arriving and departing because there are passengers arriving at and departing from the airport because the roads are safe.
Yes, that's the part that would make sense if airplanes travelled on the roads. Air travel can be restricted when roads are open, and roads can be closed or under travel advisory while flights are still landing and taking off on schedule. Unless the highway is closed, period, Jsmith is going to work because the airport doesn't want to delay flights because the baggage handlers wanted to take a snow day.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 5:51 pm
Oscar nominated

Tell you what...snow in the UK looks nicer than snow here, judging by photos in the paper.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 1:40 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I always fancied one of those jobs where you get to stay homeif the weather is bad. Even after the 87 hurricane I got in to work. Took me 4 hours but I got there.

Now i can enjoy being retired and not have to battle the weather to get to work and certainly don't miss sleeping on a stretcher when it was too nasty to drive home at midnight and I was on call.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 12:43 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by bats
...Now i can enjoy being retired and not have to battle the weather to get to work...
That's lovely.

I still like to keep a sort of discipline in getting up fairly early. Stepdaughter has had loads of early starts lately meaning leaving for the bus at 7.15 so I'm up making sure she's up and having her brekky ready when she gets downstairs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.