Winter 2017-18

Old Dec 27th 2017, 1:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter 2017-18

Never did snow. Kind of amusing it didn't snow as the city had plows driving around all day Sunday and Monday as the forecast called for a few cm's of snow, and the airport had plows and equipment staged around the airport grounds waiting for snow.

The day is did snow however last week, plows no to be seen anywhere and the airport really struggled...

Go figure, they prepared for once but there was no snow....

-1 or so most of today.
Old Dec 27th 2017, 2:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Never did snow. Kind of amusing it didn't snow as the city had plows driving around all day Sunday and Monday as the forecast called for a few cm's of snow, and the airport had plows and equipment staged around the airport grounds waiting for snow.

The day is did snow however last week, plows no to be seen anywhere and the airport really struggled...

Go figure, they prepared for once but there was no snow....

-1 or so most of today.
We got a couple of cms out in Coquitlam
Old Dec 27th 2017, 10:40 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I type all this so that anyone deluded by the idea that an "outdoors lifestyle" is a benefit of being in Canada can get a clue.
You are clearly a man of many talents.
I thought my stepdaughter had it tough going to her bus stop at 7.15 this morning when it was -17/-31. At least she's wrapped up and the bus is reliable.
Old Dec 27th 2017, 12:28 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

It was minus 26 when I took the dog out for a pee. Too cold to poo it seems.
Old Dec 27th 2017, 12:34 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

-31, windchill -43 here and I don't blame him .
Old Dec 27th 2017, 12:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

There was a lot of snow overnight and we planned to go riding this morning. I duly set out to blow early and was dismayed to find a flat tyre on the tractor. Note that I can now start the tractor because, when indoors, in the light, without gloves, the lithium jumper thingy is easily understood. No worries, we have a little pump that works off the cigarette lighter in the car and the Mustang was just close enough for it to reach. Alas, lots of noise, no visible expansion.

I blew the drive on the flat tyre just enough to get out. While I was indoors warming up the instructor sent a message, "too cold to ride, try again this afternoon". I went back out, took the wheel off and hauled it to the petrol station where I blew it up to some random pressure because the gauge on the pump was frozen. I reinstalled the wheel and cleaned up the driveway. By then it had warmed up to -18 so we went riding.

I type all this so that anyone deluded by the idea that an "outdoors lifestyle" is a benefit of being in Canada can get a clue.
You don't have an air compressor?

The rear tyres on our tractor are filled with water. Someone drove over a nail once without realising it. The mess we woke up to in the morning was horrid.

You have my sympathies.

I seem to remember that, some years ago, you posted pictures of you and your family riding. That being the case, what type of instruction do you have?

We've had about 4 inches of snow since I last cleared the drive but, at -30 and no cab on the tractor (why I didn't buy one is beyond me) there is no way I am clearing it until the temperature drops a bit.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Dec 27th 2017 at 12:56 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2017, 1:47 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
-31, windchill -43 here and I don't blame him .
I don't either. Maybe he could use the cat litter.
Old Dec 27th 2017, 10:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian

The rear tyres on our tractor are filled with water. Someone drove over a nail once without realising it. The mess we woke up to in the morning was horrid.

You have my sympathies.

I seem to remember that, some years ago, you posted pictures of you and your family riding. That being the case, what type of instruction do you have?

We've had about 4 inches of snow since I last cleared the drive but, at -30 and no cab on the tractor (why I didn't buy one is beyond me) there is no way I am clearing it until the temperature drops a bit.
Oddly, we’ve never had a compressor, we nailed all of the siding by hand. It’s not something I miss, unlike a cab and huge rear facing lights for the tractor.

The pleasure in riding for me is in getting better over time. One can purchase a well-trained “point and shoot” horse with what are called auto lead changes and it’s interesting to ride one just to feel what’s supposed to be happening. However I like the fact that my horse was in a poor state, would only canter left on the wrong lead, went off at an unpredictable pace and is now shiny and picks up the correct lead reliably. Both horse and rider are very different now than a year ago. The difference in my wife’s horse is even more pronounced, when he came from the track the objective of an hour’s lesson was to stay on, now it’s lead changes and two tracking.

This type of improvement comes from instruction, two hours per week, and practise whenever possible.
Old Dec 28th 2017, 12:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

A mix of rain and snow today, nothing really sticking though.

Around 0 or 1 I would guess.
Old Dec 28th 2017, 11:45 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Oddly, we’ve never had a compressor, we nailed all of the siding by hand. It’s not something I miss, unlike a cab and huge rear facing lights for the tractor.
Cab's are expensive I know, but LED flood/spot lights for offroad use are dirt cheap through ebay & amazon. Surely not beyond the wit of man to wire a couple up to your rollbar facing backwards to provide that all important illumination for night time snow clearing?
Old Dec 28th 2017, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

It’s minus something ‘orrible here, even by Qc standards. Son’s truck which has always started without trouble however cold it gets, didn’t.

Yesterday I visited my daughter & co, who have moved back to Ste-Perpete-des-Oies in the back of nowhere where she grew up. Her townie SO is apparently struggling with how much work heating an old house with wood burning stoves can be.
Old Dec 28th 2017, 12:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Surely not beyond the wit of man to wire a couple up to your rollbar facing backwards to provide that all important illumination for night time snow clearing?
I expect there's even a kit from the manufacturer, I just haven't got to it. One more slide into the ditch or one more mown down plant might inspire action.
Old Dec 28th 2017, 1:16 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

A salt question: When you hear/read that salt is ineffective below -15 or -20, whatever, is that the base temperature or the wind chill/feels like temp?

Three days in a row colder than -30 with the feels like. -36 in the night and -34 when lucky stepdaughter went to the bus stop
Old Dec 28th 2017, 1:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

The pleasure in riding for me is in getting better over time. One can purchase a well-trained “point and shoot” horse with what are called auto lead changes and it’s interesting to ride one just to feel what’s supposed to be happening. However I like the fact that my horse was in a poor state, would only canter left on the wrong lead, went off at an unpredictable pace and is now shiny and picks up the correct lead reliably. Both horse and rider are very different now than a year ago. The difference in my wife’s horse is even more pronounced, when he came from the track the objective of an hour’s lesson was to stay on, now it’s lead changes and two tracking.

This type of improvement comes from instruction, two hours per week, and practise whenever possible.
Congratulations on the improvement with the horses.

We have never been rich enough to really be able to compete on the competitive horse jumping circuit but my eldest is horse mad and spent many a day clearing out stalls at the places we boarded horses to "earn" lessons with their instructors and helped out so that, in essence, she has become a very good instructor herself, albeit without the pieces of paper that would enable her to do so for money.

When we moved out of town and she started at a rural school, she learned from other students of the money that may be made to take a relatively unbroken horse and train it to such an extent that wealthy people will pay a premium for it. She has kept this up notwithstanding the fact that she now attends uni and this was a large part of her wanting to attend the local uni.

I will muck around on our horses on our property but my wife wants me to be able to go on trail rides with her through the Rockies. While I accept that that sounds great, I am sure the reality will be somewhat different, particularly as she wants to stay out for an overnight or two.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Dec 28th 2017 at 1:36 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2017, 3:49 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Our air compressor refuses to work when it's cold, so we've had to take it in from the garage, and put it in the unfinished basement and buy an extra long hose to the outside? Is this normal?

My phone tells me that in Fredericton right now it it -19 'real feel' -39 with light snow...

I looked at the long range forecast and can't see it getting anywhere past arctic till mid January...

It strikes me my air compressor has more sense than I do

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.