Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Why don't people read/listen properly - part 72

Why don't people read/listen properly - part 72

Old Jun 12th 2018, 5:18 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why don't people read/listen properly - part 72

I've written before about how people don't read emails - "Dear Sir, your website doesn't show the answer so please tell me..."
"Thank you for your interest. Please check our website." Grrrrrr.

But the phone this time. I applied for a new credit card. Online acceptance was immediate and card on the way, if not there after three weeks, phone this number.

No card, so I phoned. Call may be recorded. "Actually, it was only just put through a couple of days ago" so original information misleading. Okay, mistakes happen.

Card still not arrived. Call again. Explain account granted, already called once about no card yet, told only just done and to wait a bit more.

"So you're enquiring about the status of your application." No, I already know that, I've still not received the card or anything.

After a bit of umm-ing and ah-ing he says he'll arrange for a replacement which I should get 7-10 days. (so the first has gone astray) Then he asks if I've written any cheques on the account. What?
"How could I," says I. "I haven't had anything from you about the account yet."

And then comes more scripted waffle. I felt like saying scrap it.
Old Jun 12th 2018, 5:48 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why don't people read/listen properly - part 72

whilst I feel your pain i have to remember that I'd probably be out of a job if people could actually read ! As most of my job seems to be regurgitating what's on our website or in the documents I've already sent them
Old Jun 12th 2018, 6:39 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Not worth stressing over, just track them down and deal out an effing smack.
Old Jun 12th 2018, 7:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I hate when companies refer you to their website to find an answer when the answer isn't on their website or at least not easily found, some of these larger companies don't exactly have websites that are easy to find info, Amazon comes to mind, can be a maze trying to find an answer to something. If I found the answer on the website, I wouldn't be writing to you...

People at airports can't read, seems everyone once they enter an airport can no longer read or look at signs.
Old Jun 12th 2018, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I've written before about how people don't read emails - "Dear Sir, your website doesn't show the answer so please tell me..."
"Thank you for your interest. Please check our website." Grrrrrr.
Eh. I'm sympathetic to your bank experience - but for online instructions, I've often had conversations where someone insists point blank that something isn't on a website I've linked them to, told them to read, and they finally backdown (or, more commonly just go silent) when I screenshot it & draw a red box around the bit they've long-claimed wasn't there...
Old Jun 12th 2018, 11:09 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
Eh. I'm sympathetic to your bank experience - but for online instructions, I've often had conversations where someone insists point blank that something isn't on a website I've linked them to, told them to read, and they finally backdown (or, more commonly just go silent) when I screenshot it & draw a red box around the bit they've long-claimed wasn't there...
Yes, I'm sure that happens too And if there's plenty on a website it might be hard to find or easily missed or maybe someone can't be bothered to look.

But sometimes it really isn't there - and I have invited the respondent to provide me with a link or other instruction as to where it is At least you're telling them where it is instead of telling them to look when they already have.

I know one time it was Rogers involved and it was likely an automated response - but why invite questions if that's the answer. But another time it was a now defunct local radio station and it was about the specific content of one the shows I heard (an interview or something on that edition) with nothing more than the presenter's name alongside the time slot in the schedule.
Old Jun 13th 2018, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Texted my daughter last week 'remember no violin' as her teacher had told her last week that she would be away. However due to seasonal schedule changes (her main extra-curricular is finished for the summer) she forgot to go to her lesson a couple of weeks ago, so has set-up some reminders. Which meant she misread my three word text as 'remember violin'. I skim, and am guilty of leaping to conclusions/rushing through stuff so I totally get how it happens.

That being said many websites/sign ages systems could be vastly improved, but I think it's easy not to see that if you are familiar with them. Took me ages on here to find out that 'the wiki' people are often referred to didn't mean Wikipedia. I think some people fail to understand that there are people, even reasonably intelligent people, who don't know things that others think are obvious.

Also it's tempting, when complaining to over-explain, or try to be 'clever' (not suggesting this is you, Bristol) and this can obscure the point you are trying to make.
Old Jun 13th 2018, 12:29 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
Texted my daughter last week 'remember no violin' as her teacher had told her last week that she would be away. However due to seasonal schedule changes (her main extra-curricular is finished for the summer) she forgot to go to her lesson a couple of weeks ago, so has set-up some reminders. Which meant she misread my three word text as 'remember violin'. I skim, and am guilty of leaping to conclusions/rushing through stuff so I totally get how it happens.

Oh yes, now that you mention it I was using a card machine in Payless last week. One of those where no two are ever alike and I read "Remove Card" so I did...only to cancel the transaction. It turned out there was a huge gap between the words.

Please Do Not

Remove Card

Also it's tempting, when complaining to over-explain, or try to be 'clever' (not suggesting this is you, Bristol) and this can obscure the point you are trying to make.
I'm sure that's true too.