Why do they do this?

Old Jan 28th 2009, 2:23 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why do they do this?

Originally Posted by g_is_for_canada
Why do Canadians insist on starting sentences with the word 'So...' ? I just don't get it. Is it just crazy misuse of English (as it seems) or does it have an alternate meaning here?
So...everyone in the UK uses perfect English do they?

I don't think so.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 2:25 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Agreed....but my comment wasn't solely based on a couple of responses in this thread only. People here have (mostly) accepted massive differences in climate, bureaucracy, lifestyle, work conditions, health provision, shopping etc.

For heaven's sake why can't someone pine for a little comfort of 'home' without being told they should get over it or that they are 'whining' about something?
Because they are whining about something?

Like I said, you have to take the rough with the smooth, that goes for internet fora too to some extent. Post something a bit stupid, and you have to expect a few stupid responses....especially as we are in the Maple Leaf where there is more casual banter and the like.

I dont think anyone said they couldnt do it... I just answered the question...it is a foreign country and language has evolved to be a bit different here!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 2:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
So...everyone in the UK uses perfect English do they?
On the subject of mis-use or incorrect pronunciation, how about French words? How many of us admit to saying 'Garridge' for where the car is left?
Old Jan 28th 2009, 2:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Because they are whining about something?
I guess we'll agree to differ. I don't think wanting something liked and maybe asking where it can be obtained or just regreting its passing, for example, is the same as Whining. To utter a plaintive, high-pitched, protracted sound, as in pain, fear, supplication, or complaint.
2. To complain or protest in a childish fashion.
3. To produce a sustained noise of relatively high pitch

Perhaps I'm too sensitive (my wife thinks so ) but it's like when politcians try to disparage what others say, not by addressing the comments themselves but by saying they are 'bleating' about something.

It's just so negative. Whining is the child stamping his foot and saying "Why can't I go out dadeeeeeeee?"

That's a long way from expressing a wish for 'proper' bacon or whatever - especially when one has grown accustomed to far more and far bigger changes in the new life.

<retires to corner to lick wounds>
Old Jan 28th 2009, 2:54 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Thats the thing though, it seems so trivial compared to the major changes that really matter.

Im not saying its right that people should jump all over this sort of post, but it is going to happen, thats just human nature, and in this sub forum at least as long as people are not overly agressive / abusive, its just part of the give and take.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:17 pm
hwp
BE Enthusiast

hwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by g_is_for_canada
Why do Canadians insist on starting sentences with the word 'So...' ? I just don't get it. Is it just crazy misuse of English (as it seems) or does it have an alternate meaning here?
I'm Canadian and I'm sitting here trying to think of why I say 'so' at the beginning of a sentence. I think it depends on the context but generally I think it's meant as 'friendly cushion' - if that makes sense.

To my Canadian ears, 'So, how was the gig last night?' sounds more friendly and genuine than, 'How was the gig last night?' which sounds more formal and distant.

I'm sure there are other interpretations but that's mine, one coffee down and one more to go.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:19 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BristolUK
On the subject of mis-use or incorrect pronunciation, how about French words? How many of us admit to saying 'Garridge' for where the car is left?
"Garridge" is where one keeps one's beer and power tools. "Driveway" is where one keeps one's car.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:20 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Why do so many Brits use the word "of" in place of "have" - sounds so stupid. As in "I would of done so and so" instead of "I would have....." I've even seen it used that way in newspapers there for crissakes.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Souvenir
"Garridge" is where one keeps one's beer and power tools. "Driveway" is where one keeps one's car.
Not all of us feel that way.

The garage was intended for cars and that's what it is used for at our house.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:25 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Not all of us feel that way.

The garage was intended for cars and that's what it is used for at our house.
Call yourself a Canadian!!!!!!!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:27 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by hwp
I'm Canadian and I'm sitting here trying to think of why I say 'so' at the beginning of a sentence. I think it depends on the context but generally I think it's meant as 'friendly cushion' - if that makes sense.

To my Canadian ears, 'So, how was the gig last night?' sounds more friendly and genuine than, 'How was the gig last night?' which sounds more formal and distant.

I'm sure there are other interpretations but that's mine, one coffee down and one more to go.
"so, was the coffee good"

I think it sounds very friendly, now what is annoying is when you drop the kids at school and you get teachers saying "bet you don't get snow like this in the uk" or "is that tea for you, your english"

No the snow in england is a real funny colour, totally different from here and yeah i drink tea, as long as it has a heap of coffee in it

It works both ways, some of the moms here crack me up with some of there stuff, but i come home and scream REAL LOUD..haha

One thing i have learnt is that i don't judge them, some even call immagrants...then quickly turn round and say "O not you"

I just turn round and say "well i am one" and....love watching them get out of that one, as most of there parents or grandparents are english haha
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Call yourself a Canadian!!!!!!!
Yeah!!!!

A double garage with TWO cars in it, I know it goes against convention but hey ho.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:35 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Never really occurred to me, but "whatever" at the end, start and the middle of most sentences, seems to illustrate a lack of vocabulary. Still, better than, "at the end of the day" which i never hear anymore, and was used more than all the "so and whatevers" put together.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

"So" indicates that the sentence is going to be a question, and hints to a prior conversation or shared experience.

It gives the listener a a cue and therefore a chance to hear the question more clearly.

They don't say, "So, the weather is nice today."

They'll say, "So, does your wife hate me?" (The unspoken and shared experience being, since you rolled home pissed as a newt after drinking with me.)

So is better than some Briitshisms - I hate gobsmacked, innit, I would of...
Old Jan 28th 2009, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hwp

My Spanish book has an entire chapter on this, words that are essentially meaningless but give the speaker time to think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.