British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Who's sticking to theirs so far? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/whos-sticking-theirs-so-far-419685/)

Ruby Murray Jan 17th 2007 4:25 pm

Who's sticking to theirs so far?

My new year's resolution was to get a severe grip on my alcohol intake and to shed quite a few pounds.......well out of the two, I've tackled the boozing really well so far, having just a couple of beers on Friday & Saturday nights as a "treat" for cutting it out in the week. The only thing is I'm finding myself bored and fidgety during those week nights and end up snacking even after my tea (supper)! So instead of losing pounds, I'm gaining more :o

Don't know what's worse, drinking every night and concentrating on fat watchers.......
Or battling those beer demons and resembling a walrus by summer :lol:

Craftybanshee Jan 17th 2007 4:36 pm

Re: Who's sticking to theirs so far?

I sympathise with you RM 'cos I've cut out drinking in the week too. No more rum and cokes or wine for Crafty. It's so easy just to open a bottle and have a couple of glasses each night, but now I'm sticking having a couple of drinks at the weekend :)

Ruby Murray Jan 17th 2007 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee (Post 4294559)
I sympathise with you RM 'cos I've cut out drinking in the week too. No more rum and cokes or wine for Crafty. It's so easy just to open a bottle and have a couple of glasses each night, but now I'm sticking having a couple of drinks at the weekend :)

How have you found it CB? I found it much easier giving up smoking 10 years ago....these "withdrawals" are definitely different :ohmy:

Yoong Jan 17th 2007 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray (Post 4294516)
My new year's resolution was to get a severe grip on my alcohol intake and to shed quite a few pounds.......well out of the two, I've tackled the boozing really well so far, having just a couple of beers on Friday & Saturday nights as a "treat" for cutting it out in the week. The only thing is I'm finding myself bored and fidgety during those week nights and end up snacking even after my tea (supper)! So instead of losing pounds, I'm gaining more :o

Don't know what's worse, drinking every night and concentrating on fat watchers.......

Work for the city hall as a parking enforcement staff aka meter maid ,not
popular with the car drivers,however you'll get your exercise and get paid for it.
Work as a postie or at a doggy day care . That's how I control my weight
in nursing, lots of walking but luckily no lifting in my type of nursing.
Join alternative health group and that will help you stay away from drinking.
Hope that helps.
Yoong

Craftybanshee Jan 17th 2007 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray (Post 4294869)
How have you found it CB? I found it much easier giving up smoking 10 years ago....these "withdrawals" are definitely different :ohmy:

Ok so far. I tend to drink a glass of wine when I'm cooking tea - a bit like Floyd in the kitchen :lol: Now I have a cup of tea instead. Mind you hubby asked earlier "Do we have any wine in the house"?, so I popped a bottle of white in the fridge to chill (and it's still there at 8.45pm). I'm a good banshee :thumbup:

Good luck with your resolutions RM! :)

Craftybanshee Jan 17th 2007 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Yoong (Post 4295025)
Work as a postie or at a doggy day care .
Yoong

Can't say we have much of a call for doggy daycare here in England (not yet anyway). The hours as a postie wouldn't suit me plus I don't get on with little doggies and the cycling around the village alone would probably do me in! :lol:

Ruby Murray Jan 17th 2007 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee (Post 4295188)
Ok so far. I tend to drink a glass of wine when I'm cooking tea - a bit like Floyd in the kitchen :lol: Now I have a cup of tea instead. Mind you hubby asked earlier "Do we have any wine in the house"?, so I popped a bottle of white in the fridge to chill (and it's still there at 8.45pm). I'm a good banshee :thumbup:

Good luck with your resolutions RM! :)

That's the same with me:D .....I got into the habit of cracking a Budweiser or two around tea-time and that's my "witching hour" now. I just glug my way through a couple of glasses of Ribena instead. Considering OH is into "homebrew" and has several bottles of wine and beer in the basement, I think I'm doing really well too!

I just know that come June when my folks are here that all this tee-totalness will fly out of the window before you can say "beer" ;)

Jaycee

PS.....Keep it up with yours too ;)

Calgal Jan 18th 2007 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray (Post 4294516)

Jaycee - only just realised it's you....lol :o

Not really a New Years resolution ('cos I resolved not to resolve years ago).

But - I got on the scales last week after all the talk on here about BMI's and WHR's (found myself to be obese, with a bad WHR), and my weight is at an all time high! :eek: :(

So, yes - for a few days I've been sticking to it, and I was delighted to find this morning, that I've already lost three pounds! :thumbsup: And now I've made it public, I'm hoping it will give me the motivation to keep it up.

(Feel free to nag me about it - please)

Ruby Murray Jan 18th 2007 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Calgal (Post 4298604)
Jaycee - only just realised it's you....lol :o

Not really a New Years resolution ('cos I resolved not to resolve years ago).

But - I got on the scales last week after all the talk on here about BMI's and WHR's (found myself to be obese, with a bad WHR), and my weight is at an all time high! :eek: :(

So, yes - for a few days I've been sticking to it, and I was delighted to find this morning, that I've already lost three pounds! :thumbsup: And now I've made it public, I'm hoping it will give me the motivation to keep it up.

(Feel free to nag me about it - please)

Hey, well done you!! It does take a sharp shock like that to jolt you into the real world eh....

Making my issue public was also to keep me determined not to slip up.....so from now on, you will probably only see incoherrent posts from me Friday & Saturday evenings :sneaky: :lol:

Souvenir Jan 18th 2007 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray (Post 4298953)
Hey, well done you!! It does take a sharp shock like that to jolt you into the real world eh....

Making my issue public was also to keep me determined not to slip up.....so from now on, you will probably only see incoherrent posts from me Friday & Saturday evenings :sneaky: :lol:

Cracking open a Bud or two at suppertime hardly qualifies one as wino of the year. Unless, of course one wakes up in the morning and thinks: "when's suppertime?". That's a different matter altogether.

In any case, Bud does not count as an alcoholic beverage.

Ruby Murray Jan 18th 2007 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Souvenir (Post 4299186)
Cracking open a Bud or two at suppertime hardly qualifies one as wino of the year. Unless, of course one wakes up in the morning and thinks: "when's suppertime?". That's a different matter altogether.

In any case, Bud does not count as an alcoholic beverage.

It does when it's been my daily habit for close to 10 years! Weekends, birthdays, BBQ's, Christmas time - even more! I like to drink but there comes a time when it becomes a problem if it bothers you that it's not on the agenda that evening :unsure:
"Wino of the Year" I am not, but I recognise a problem and am doing something about it.
And Budweiser IS an alcoholic beverage....it's 5% beer and gets me giddy :p

Souvenir Jan 18th 2007 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray (Post 4299359)
It does when it's been my daily habit for close to 10 years! Weekends, birthdays, BBQ's, Christmas time - even more! I like to drink but there comes a time when it becomes a problem if it bothers you that it's not on the agenda that evening :unsure:
"Wino of the Year" I am not, but I recognise a problem and am doing something about it.
And Budweiser IS an alcoholic beverage....it's 5% beer and gets me giddy :p

If you see it as a problem and are doing something about it, all power to your elbow. I will certainly not knock you for that.

Ruby Murray Jan 18th 2007 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Souvenir (Post 4299417)
If you see it as a problem and are doing something about it, all power to your elbow. I will certainly not knock you for that.

Cheers m'dear :beer: (that's Ribena by the way, cuz it's still only Thursday ;) )

Butch Cassidy Jan 18th 2007 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray (Post 4299490)
Cheers m'dear :beer: (that's Ribena by the way, cuz it's still only Thursday ;) )

Does your Ribena come in bottles labeled Shiraz and Merlot??? :p

Ruby Murray Jan 18th 2007 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy (Post 4299528)
Does your Ribena come in bottles labeled Shiraz and Merlot??? :p

Oi cheeky, stop dangling the carrot....I'm trying to be good here ;)