Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Who's doing what for Christmas?

Who's doing what for Christmas?

Old Dec 8th 2019, 11:14 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Who's doing what for Christmas?

What are your plans this year?

I've got 2 weeks off work, just going to have a nice quiet family time. Our eldest is coming home from Uni for a few days over Christmas but has to get back to Brighton cos he's working, and anyway Brighton is a far more fun place to be in party season for a teenager than a small Norfolk village.

Got a couple of parties to go to, and having friends round to join us for Christmas Day lunch. Looking forward to it all.
Old Dec 8th 2019, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who's doing what for Christmas?

Nothing decided yet
Old Dec 8th 2019, 11:41 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
What are your plans this year?

I've got 2 weeks off work, just going to have a nice quiet family time. Our eldest is coming home from Uni for a few days over Christmas but has to get back to Brighton cos he's working, and anyway Brighton is a far more fun place to be in party season for a teenager than a small Norfolk village.

Got a couple of parties to go to, and having friends round to join us for Christmas Day lunch. Looking forward to it all.
That sounds like a very pleasant festive season Jingsamichty. Nice that you'll be seeing your oldest, even if just for a few days.

We're having scouse's adult sons and their partners for dinner on Christmas Eve.

Going to one of my sister's place at around 10am Christmas morning, we call it 'brunch' but in reality the last straggler usually leaves about 7pm. We all take food, beer and bubbles, most of my family is there so generally around 40 people. All the presents go under the tree and get handed out, so that takes a good 2 hours on its own I'm looking forward to it too.
Old Dec 8th 2019, 12:01 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

As little as possible, beautifully! My husband’s work closes from the 20th Dec till 5th Jan, and our son is off uni for that time too, and I have managed to get a few days off this year so am only working on the 30th and 31st which should be quiet. This is the first time we have got more than four days off together at any time since we moved here 7 years ago! I am well beyond excited

I mainly want us to eat really nice things that I don’t get time to cook often, or that are not frequently available...we get great seafood in the Atlantic Provinces, but it’s not often in the shops except for high days and holidays...so I am very determined to fill my boots

Our son turns 19 in the first week of January...so this Christmas I want to cherish every moment with him, as no doubt going forward we will see less of him. We will have a number of our neighbours over too. A good recharge the batteries and push your personal reset button time, I hope.
Old Dec 8th 2019, 2:38 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

My parents are flying into Vancouver on the 18th, they are staying with my Son in Burnaby until I pick all three of them up on the 21st. Then we are hanging out here in Kamloops until the 2nd. We haven't seen each other in 2 years so I'm looking forward to it.
Old Dec 8th 2019, 4:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

We don't have any plans, its just the 2 of us so we don't usually do much of anything.
Old Dec 8th 2019, 5:52 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know, just checked my calendar and I don't have to work. Possibly ice fishing.
Old Dec 8th 2019, 6:02 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

We're staying put. Elder SD will join us for a few days, as hopefully will her boyfriend. Younger SD is effectively banned due to the grief that she caused last Christmas (and once again since).

We'll be hosting the big meal on the 25th (14 participants) and have managed to lock the date in early enough so that the nieces' husbands can fit their respective family bashes so as not to clash with ours.

This place is already beginning to look like a UPS/Amazon parcel sorting centre, thanks to the family Secret Santa. Stuff just keeps arriving that neither myself nor OH have ordered, OH opens them up and says "that'll be from abc for xyz" then calls abc to tell him or her that the parcel is here, book an appointment to come and wrap/hide it.

The cats are currently feigning indifference, but will come to life once the Christmas tree is in place.

OH will have a couple of out with the girls days, I will have a couple of day trips, one south of Brussels and one up to Den Haag. These will not occur at the same time as OH's outings, as the revamped sound system needs some fine tweaking.

There will be more curry consumed than at any other time of year.
Old Dec 8th 2019, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

We're taking the train across Canada to Nova Scotia (and back again) to spend Christmas with our daughter, s-i-l and grandson. We have nothing planned except to spend time with them all. We arrive on the 19th, they all have work or school on the 20th so we might arrange a meet-up with a couple we both knew at university. Apart from that, it will be family time. No idea what we will have to eat on Christmas Day, they like to have different meats!

Then we will leave them in time to catch The Canadian in Toronto for our New Year ........ it will be somewhere between Saskatoon and Jasper this year.

It's now become an annual trip.
Old Dec 9th 2019, 12:55 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I'll have the usual two weeks off in addition to the other 50 weeks off.

The 6.00 am phone call from my mum seems to have been only a one-off when she forgot the time difference
She still gets it wrong but not so badly and now I call her to play safe.

We may do Love Actually again this year having watched something else on xmas eve in past years.

Also going to check out winter and lights at the zoo. Brrrrrr.
Old Dec 9th 2019, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Oldest returning early from school to have five (!) wisdom teeth out. Second child (18) deserting us for solo trip to Japan.

When I wasn’t home at that age for Xmas the rest of my family bu@@ered off on a first EVER family ski trip WITHOUT me! Still rankles so we won’t be doing that. (I’m a bit old to start learning now anyway)
Old Dec 9th 2019, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I'll have the usual two weeks off in addition to the other 50 weeks off.

The 6.00 am phone call from my mum seems to have been only a one-off when she forgot the time difference
She still gets it wrong but not so badly and now I call her to play safe.

We may do Love Actually again this year having watched something else on xmas eve in past years.

Also going to check out winter and lights at the zoo. Brrrrrr.
There was more than one lobster present at the birth of Christ. 🦞
Old Dec 9th 2019, 2:10 am
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Our 2 sons are coming in from Edmonton for Xmas week, we're doing the zoo's festival of lights, have a grandchild's 5th birthday, Xmas day lunch with our 4 children and 2 grandchildren, spouses etc, Boxing day with some additional friends added into the mix.
Old Dec 9th 2019, 2:13 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Up until today it was turkey for 2, then we were thinking of going out for dinner with another couple, (boys planning without talking to the missuses) but now it's going to the other couples for dinner. So now i have to thi k of gifts for peeps I've never met😨

will be chatting to DD at some point. That will be my highlight.
Old Dec 9th 2019, 2:28 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I'll go to my son late on Christmas eve, spend Christmas day with him, open stockings and presents and then cook turkey, roast spuds and all the trimmings.. eat it (not forgetting to pull crackers and wear silly hats) and then we'll watch a movie after dinner with a glass of something.. or if he has plans then an early departure for me. Other than that, no plans.

I love hearing of others plans - reminds me of when I was growing up and the house would be filled with relatives and friends and much merriment would be had. I still remember making paper chains to decorate the lounge and picking mistletoe for above the door; small boughs of greenery and holly with red berries to decorate the mantle. Our Christmas tree had glass birds that were candle holders, with tiny candles (similar to birthday candles), the irridescent feathers were quite beautiful. Happy memories

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 9th 2019 at 2:37 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.