Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Is the whole of the UK now racist?

Is the whole of the UK now racist?

Old Jul 16th 2021, 2:18 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Is the whole of the UK now racist?

Yes. I see what you are saying , however my point is that prejudice is a more descriptive and encompassing word for something unacceptable. Not to dismiss the word 'racist' but that the word is limiting because it has been over-used and mis-used to mean just one aspect rather than all aspects. Maybe the word xenophobia is more appropriate. It seems that there may be more of that.

Originally Posted by Lychee
---- being judged, dismissed, not given the benefit of the doubt, overlooked, threatened, despised, assaulted, etc.
I've had all of that in my time . I can talk about the experiences . Shall I start with being spat on?

Having emigrated from the UK to NZ as my mother did from ROI to England , I have come to see that there can be strong horrible prejudice everywhere .

Perhaps the terms of the question for this topic should be re-framed.

Last edited by BEVS; Jul 16th 2021 at 2:24 am.
Old Jul 16th 2021, 4:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Yes. I see what you are saying , however my point is that prejudice is a more descriptive and encompassing word for something unacceptable. Not to dismiss the word 'racist' but that the word is limiting because it has been over-used and mis-used to mean just one aspect rather than all aspects. Maybe the word xenophobia is more appropriate. It seems that there may be more of that.

I've had all of that in my time . I can talk about the experiences . Shall I start with being spat on?

Having emigrated from the UK to NZ as my mother did from ROI to England , I have come to see that there can be strong horrible prejudice everywhere .

Perhaps the terms of the question for this topic should be re-framed.

Old Jul 16th 2021, 11:10 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, prejudiced, but also racist. Again, this is a topic for us to listen to non-white folks about their experiences.
In what way is the experience of a black person experiencing racial discrimination different from that of a white visible minority person experiencing racial discrimination? In the specific context of north London, how is being black different than being Jewish or Irish?

Old Jul 16th 2021, 2:17 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, prejudiced, but also racist. Again, this is a topic for us to listen to non-white folks about their experiences, being judged, dismissed, not given the benefit of the doubt, overlooked, threatened, despised, assaulted, etc. over the colour of their skin. This form of racism has always been present in the UK. The UK has always been racist. It's okay to feel uncomfortable about this.
I've had all these and more - some from being white while living in Asia and other places (a Gwai lo) - many from people who disliked where I came from. Racism comes in many creeds and colours... and happens all over the world in ways you would expect and ways that you wouldn't. I saw a lot of it from locals to foreign devils, living in Hong Kong.

Old Jul 20th 2021, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

adrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond repute

I can only talk about my own experiences and thoughts.Take away what you like.

Asian (desi) born in the UK London, I def experienced racism from the day I was able to understand bullying, till now. Granted some is in your face and some is very subtle.
My sister who was very light skinned and passed as British, never or hardly ever. We both speak the queens and have European 1st and last names.
There is no space to verify what I am talking about but trust me, my formative years was hell, my white peers did not suffer what I went through
and job interviews, schools, tests the whole 9. The only thing that saved me on a number of occasions was my ability to speak "proper English" LOL and my first name.
Also some of the activities I was involved in was a help. The question "is the whole of the UK now racist", I don't have a clue, but it as always been and probably be.

A sense of the colonies, the day's of the raj, slavery a sense of we are the best and those poor wogs need us to change them from savages.

By Father once told me, his friends were amazed that he ate Bacon and Eggs back home and he lived in a house and not some mud hut.

I remember several race riots, Brixton, Southall, and also running for my Wuckin life on 2 occasions. ARE ALL "English" people racist, HELL NO.
But was that because they knew ME, we all have bad days right, don't let any brown person tell you they are not racist.

I can tell you conversations we had at home or I heard from minorities which would make a member of the BNP or NF BLUSH, I am probably as racist or have racist notions
as the next person. It is learned and also ingrained from our experiences. Was the "white" kid who beat the crap out of me and call me a paki, was he racist or just immature
and is he now the same 30 years later, was he a product of his parents bigotry.

I have experienced SADLY a level of racism here in the good old white north, Most of the yahoo groups seeth with racist commentary. I've experienced it in shops, in the workplace
and in interviews, BUT the good old English accent is a fantastic ade I have found.

You can actually argue, NO one can be racist, because we all belong to one race... the HUMAN RACE.

It is natural to fear, distrust what you don't know. I am reminded of a conversation that my father had with my sister, warning her not to ever bring a black man home... or a white man.... or a oriental man... or an Indian.
Funny the guy she actually dated (who was from the same background as us parents from the same homeland) got her pregnant twice (2 abortions) and was actually convicted of being a sex offender and arrested
by interpol trying to get into Canada in 2008 (I don't want to name names, but if you google sex offender in canada interpol and it's in the star) yup that was my sister EX-boyfriend

I've live through racism & stupid people, and also met a lot of fantastic people of ALL colours

I live with this adage, "There is a God above who see's all that's done to all his children, I leave the final judgement for him"

Peace all of you

<lol a lot's of typo's sorry>

Last edited by adrianj; Jul 20th 2021 at 10:41 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2021, 10:55 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adrianj
<lol a lot's of typo's sorry>
Not too bad though, and good post!
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

jackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I've had all these and more - some from being white while living in Asia and other places (a Gwai lo) - many from people who disliked where I came from. Racism comes in many creeds and colours... and happens all over the world in ways you would expect and ways that you wouldn't. I saw a lot of it from locals to foreign devils, living in Hong Kong.
If you look at China's history, you will see what the colonizers did to them. i don't think they are racist though, but the terms adopted are fair.
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 2:43 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackinthetree
If you look at China's history, you will see what the colonizers did to them. i don't think they are racist though, but the terms adopted are fair.
Your patronising comment is really not necessary, I lived there for 9 years - and yes I know China's history very well thank you. You are incorrect when you state there are not racist people in China / Hong Kong - notice I said I had personally experienced racism while living there as a gwai lo, as did a couple of my close friends who were married to locals! I was walking back from our doctors office with one - she was with her eurasian children, when a local said to his child in cantonese - "stay away from those gwai lo's, they are dirty foreigners, pigs, they will take you and hurt you!" He got the shock of his life when my friend responded in perfect cantonese and told him exactly what she thought of him.. colloquially .

There are racist people EVERYWHERE in every culture in every country - it's not everyone, but there are some... and I detest it no matter who or where they are.
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 8:17 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

There are racist people EVERYWHERE in every culture in every country - it's not everyone, but there are some... and I detest it no matter who or where they are.
There's a minority of every kind of asshole everywhere, as you say. Most of the people I've met in other countries are decent and good people.
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

jackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond repute

Your patronising comment is really not necessary, I lived there for 9 years - and yes I know China's history very well thank you. You are incorrect when you state there are not racist people in China / Hong Kong - notice I said I had personally experienced racism while living there as a gwai lo, as did a couple of my close friends who were married to locals! I was walking back from our doctors office with one - she was with her eurasian children, when a local said to his child in cantonese - "stay away from those gwai lo's, they are dirty foreigners, pigs, they will take you and hurt you!" He got the shock of his life when my friend responded in perfect cantonese and told him exactly what she thought of him.. colloquially .

I didn't think it was condescending but apologies if you thought it was.

Best wishes,
Jack
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
There's a minority of every kind of asshole everywhere, as you say. Most of the people I've met in other countries are decent and good people.
Sometimes it doesn't feel that way, especially if I read the Daily Fail, but this is a positive and important perspective. Thanks for sharing it, DaveLovesDee.
Old Aug 4th 2021, 12:23 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackinthetree
Sometimes it doesn't feel that way, especially if I read the Daily Fail, but this is a positive and important perspective. Thanks for sharing it, DaveLovesDee.
I work security in retail stores and at events. I meet lots of them, but they don't represent the majority.of the people I deal with.
Old Aug 4th 2021, 12:23 am
Banned

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
Likewise

I didn't appreciate being spat on while walking to the store in the local village (Tai Wai) but I also met some lovely locals who became good friends.
Old Aug 5th 2021, 2:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry, but all I can think of when I see this thread is Father Ted!! "I hear you're a racist now Father!"
Anyway
Old Aug 6th 2021, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

The power imbalance in the UK is such that white people are overwhelmingly in positions of power and non-white folks experience racism at the hands of white folk. No need to point fingers at China or Black people, that's simply a distraction. Let's focus on the UK. The sooner we can admit the racism in the UK without deflecting elsewhere, the quicker we can address the problem to begin with and begin to find solutions.

Last edited by Lychee; Aug 6th 2021 at 8:15 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.